FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

Question about the auto KW tractors.

I drove an auto KW for the first time on Monday, it was a dog starting out in 1st gear every time. Quite frustrating. Yesterday, I drove a different auto KW and it started out in 3rd gear. Much more enjoyable.

Is there a setting which dictates the gear the tractor starts in? Or is it pre programmed and hit or miss based on the tractor?

During a recent meeting, I shared a customer complaint regarding the internet pickup process.

Customers complaining about the difficulty entering certain required fields, no confirmations of successful entry, etc.

One easy solution, I'm told, is to use Chrome instead of Windows. Some versions of Explorer seem to conflict with our system.

Perhaps your customers might benefit from that small tidbit of info. :idunno:

During a recent meeting, I shared a customer complaint regarding the internet pickup process.

Customers complaining about the difficulty entering certain required fields, no confirmations of successful entry, etc.

One easy solution, I'm told, is to use Chrome instead of Windows. Some versions of Explorer seem to conflict with our system.

Perhaps your customers might benefit from that small tidbit of info. :idunno:
This type of post brings joy to my heart...an employee who not only addresses the customer's needs with management, but sought a solution to that need and then went the extra mile to share his need/solution with the rest of the class!! Great work Swamp!! :1036316054:

It's this the type of positivity that just may land you with an offer of EVP should I comsider to accept my new offer!!

Question about the auto KW tractors.

I drove an auto KW for the first time on Monday, it was a dog starting out in 1st gear every time. Quite frustrating. Yesterday, I drove a different auto KW and it started out in 3rd gear. Much more enjoyable.

Is there a setting which dictates the gear the tractor starts in? Or is it pre programmed and hit or miss based on the tractor?
My KW starts out in first, unless I use the rocker switch on the gear shift to manually shift it to 2nd before I start moving. Also, they don't like it when you mash the throttle all the way to the floor.
If it's one of the older white bumper KWs, you may just have to suck it up and enjoy the scenery at a leisurely pace.....
Oh, and when all your new friends wave at you, wave back!
Just try to remember to wave all your fingers.

My KW starts out in first, unless I use the rocker switch on the gear shift to manually shift it to 2nd before I start moving. Also, they don't like it when you mash the throttle all the way to the floor.
If it's one of the older white bumper KWs, you may just have to suck it up and enjoy the scenery at a leisurely pace.....
Oh, and when all your new friends wave at you, wave back!
Just try to remember to wave all your fingers.
That's too funny, you say "the older white bumper KW's" like they're prehistoric or something and that's all we've got on our yard...white bumper trucks!! We've only got one grey bumper truck period and that's because it was replaced when the driver took out a deer with the white bumper!! :hilarious:

This type of post brings joy to my heart...an employee who not only addresses the customer's needs with management, but sought a solution to that need and then went the extra mile to share his need/solution with the rest of the class!! Great work Swamp!! :1036316054:

It's this the type of positivity that just may land you with an offer of EVP should I comsider to accept my new offer!!
Thanks Red. Seems to me, the push to encourage internet processed pickups may require some specific awareness.

I'd bet that a recommendation at the top of the customer accessed screen saying "Performs best with CHROME" would reach more customers. It's relatively rare to get a chance to speak to the actual person scheduling pickups. Even then, only a portion of those will say anything. I might start asking those known to used the system which also pre-assigns the pro numbers.

Oh, and I'm not too confident you'll accept the promotion offer, so I won't get my hopes up too high. :poke:

Thanks Red. Seems to me, the push to encourage internet processed pickups may require some specific awareness.

I'd bet that a recommendation at the top of the customer accessed screen saying "Performs best with CHROME" would reach more customers. It's relatively rare to get a chance to speak to the actual person scheduling pickups. Even then, only a portion of those will say anything. I might start asking those known to used the system which also pre-assigns the pro numbers.

Oh, and I'm not too confident you'll accept the promotion offer, so I won't get my hopes up too high. :poke:
There you go again offering up more solutions to a problem that few know exist...I love it!! You're definitely one step closer to EVP!!

You're probably right on the promotion thang, I didn't realize just how much time the CEO spends lobbying in DC, that would definitely cut into my golf time...unless I could find a way to lobby on the course, but then again, I find it very difficult to lose on purpose just to strike a deal...maybe I'll just stick to my day job!! :1036316054:

There you go again offering up more solutions to a problem that few know exist...I love it!! You're definitely one step closer to EVP!!

You're probably right on the promotion thang, I didn't realize just how much time the CEO spends lobbying in DC, that would definitely cut into my golf time...unless I could find a way to lobby on the course, but then again, I find it very difficult to lose on purpose just to strike a deal...maybe I'll just stick to my day job!! :1036316054:

I'm sure you would make a good ball washer on golf course..... of course.:hilarious:

Amazon using delay tactics against FedEx Freight?

It seems that as as part of Amazon's push into the freight business, they are making things more difficult for one of their biggest competitors, FXFE.

No longer a "Preferred carrier". No more dropping trailers, instead all live unload (by appointment). We are hearing that FXFE drivers are being delayed excessively, while other carries come and go... 4 hours is becoming common.

Appointments allow for 1 hour before detention charges, and we are charging when appropriate. I've heard $40k for one month's delay and storage fees(at just one location). The problem there is Amazon doesn't pay these charges. That burden falls on the SHIPPER, in this case. We can predict the effect on the continued relationship with these shippers, many (most) of which are small companies.

Any one else seeing this unscrupulous practice? Any predictions on how long we'll tolerate this? What next?

Last edited:

It seems that as as part of Amazon's push into the freight business, they are making things more difficult for one of their biggest competitors, FXFE.

No longer a "Preferred carrier". No more dropping trailers, instead all live unload (by appointment). We are hearing that FXFE drivers are being delayed excessively, while other carries come and go... 4 hours is becoming common.

Appointments allow for 1 hour before detention charges, and we are charging when appropriate. I've heard $40k for one month's delay and storage fees(at just one location). The problem there is Amazon doesn't pay these charges. That burden falls on the SHIPPER, in this case. We can predict the effect on the continued relationship with these shippers, many (most) of which are small companies.

Any one else seeing this unscrupulous practice? Any predictions on how long we'll tolerate this? What next?
I was told we refused to deliver to Amazon in CLT, only pick up freight.

This is going on here as well. Shippers will take the hit until they decide to move the freight to another carrier to cut cost. I have been talking for a year and a half about Amazon coming for FedEx, including Freight.

The new android handheld devices, said to be out in June, will have a "notes feature". Notes related to customer profile can be entered/viewed by the driver, adding a wealth of info. This can potentially make life easier for the next driver who may be unfamiliar with aspects of the specific customer. Preferred dock, specific safety concerns, general customer info, etc. Could be a big plus on a number of levels. :1036316054:

1st thing is to get customers on board and using the FedEx system (or online access) to print FedEx labels.

Did we mention built in cameras, and driver entered OS&D info?

Stay tuned...

Worth knowing.

A city driver was ticketed by Transport Police (DOT) for having the tandems too far back. He was pulled over(10/31-end of month) on the Interstate and was pulling a 53' with tandems all the way back. Supposed to be 41-44' from kingpin, per the citation.

In excess of a $200 ticket. $100 if paid within 28 days. In case you are wondering... Yes, this will be the driver's responsibility.

Might be a worthy topic for a city pre-::shit::, since very few seem to be aware of the regulations.

Worth knowing.

A city driver was ticketed by Transport Police (DOT) for having the tandems too far back. He was pulled over(10/31-end of month) on the Interstate and was pulling a 53' with tandems all the way back. Supposed to be 41-44' from kingpin, per the citation.

In excess of a $200 ticket. $100 if paid within 28 days. In case you are wondering... Yes, this will be the driver's responsibility.

Might be a worthy topic for a city pre-:::shit:::, since very few seem to be aware of the regulations.
California is even more restrictive. 40’ kingpin to center of rear axle. In other words, suck it up buttercup.

Worth knowing.

A city steering wheel holder was ticketed by Transport Police (DOT) for having the tandems too far back. He was pulled over(10/31-end of month) on the Interstate and was pulling a 53' with tandems all the way back. Supposed to be 41-44' from kingpin, per the citation.

Might be a worthy topic for a city pre-:::shit:::, since very few seem to be aware of the regulations.
Fixed it!