Holland | City Driver's Running out of Hours !

I end up with lots of extra hrs running ragged just because of lack of care, it's on the truck kinda attitude. This type of lunacy is pretty much a everyday occurrence in foodservice. Mostly because of loading practices and everybody's in a rush. Boxes getting smashed, buried, upside down, liquid on its side, heavy stuff on top of light stuff, pallets with little srink wrap or poor construction ready to tip with the slightest movement, pallets riding up on one in front of it. Just get the boxes delivered it's all that matters to management.

Maybe someday I'll post some wacky pictures of stuff I've dealt with over the years.

I haven't heard of felons working here yet. That would be an issue for sure.

I end up with lots of extra hrs running ragged just because of lack of care, it's on the truck kinda attitude. This type of lunacy is pretty much a everyday occurrence in foodservice. Mostly because of loading practices and everybody's in a rush. Boxes getting smashed, buried, upside down, liquid on its side, heavy stuff on top of light stuff, pallets with little srink wrap or poor construction ready to tip with the slightest movement, pallets riding up on one in front of it. Just get the boxes delivered it's all that matters to management.

Maybe someday I'll post some wacky pictures of stuff I've dealt with over the years.

I haven't heard of felons working here yet. That would be an issue for sure.
No attention to destination either just general direction. Now linehaul is turning into dock workers. Hope that's not the plan for COO at yrc.

No training...No accountability.....
ZanfDaZ.jpg
To compound the problem you take a chance of damaging the other freight that was loaded properly when trying to recoup the freight that fell. A double whammy for I don't know how to load freight. von.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but for anyone who has a ways to go before retirement, I'd be looking to leave.....and soon. I've had two personal conversations with Holland drivers in the last few days and they say that surviving until 2019 is going to be enough of a challenge, but after 2019, it's over. So why stay?

But I will also admit that I thought the doors would have been shut a few years ago. :idunno:

No attention to destination either just general direction. Now linehaul is turning into dock workers. Hope that's not the plan for COO at yrc.
I see their change as just rearranging the order in which we perform our 30 plus year old methods of trying to move freight....

I'm probably stating the obvious, but for anyone who has a ways to go before retirement, I'd be looking to leave.....and soon. I've had two personal conversations with Holland drivers in the last few days and they say that surviving until 2019 is going to be enough of a challenge, but after 2019, it's over. So why stay?

But I will also admit that I thought the doors would have been shut a few years ago. :idunno:
We have more freight than we can handle, we have added major accounts this year, we have raised pay for new hires at fourteen terminals, we are buying new tractors and new trailers, we are making money, what is exactly the reason that the company will be gone in two years? I have actually worked for two companies that went bankrupt and one that replaced the union drivers with non union drivers and I do not see the same things going on here that I have seen in the past. I here all these guys saying the end is near, rip, doom and gloom, but the company just keeps on rolling? Please tell me what I am missing? Yes we have some older trucks but our fleet is in so much better shape than it was four years ago and yes management is turning over at terminals but they are replacing them and in some cases it is an improvement, not all. Maintenance could be better but it could be worse much like the new hires, I would say fifty percent are pretty good drivers. I just don't see why guys should jump ship now, if you rode it out this long why not ride it out for another 18 months and see how it plays out? That is my plan! But best of luck brothers if you do go elsewhere just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side!

We have more freight than we can handle, we have added major accounts this year, we have raised pay for new hires at fourteen terminals, we are buying new tractors and new trailers, we are making money, what is exactly the reason that the company will be gone in two years? I have actually worked for two companies that went bankrupt and one that replaced the union drivers with non union drivers and I do not see the same things going on here that I have seen in the past. I here all these guys saying the end is near, rip, doom and gloom, but the company just keeps on rolling? Please tell me what I am missing? Yes we have some older trucks but our fleet is in so much better shape than it was four years ago and yes management is turning over at terminals but they are replacing them and in some cases it is an improvement, not all. Maintenance could be better but it could be worse much like the new hires, I would say fifty percent are pretty good drivers. I just don't see why guys should jump ship now, if you rode it out this long why not ride it out for another 18 months and see how it plays out? That is my plan! But best of luck brothers if you do go elsewhere just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side!
I agree tolls.the company is buying 600 trailers 3oo trucks.doesn't sound like a company about to sink.and why do all the doom and gloom folks stick around.might as well leave and get a head start on everyone else

I agree tolls.the company is buying 600 trailers 3oo trucks.doesn't sound like a company about to sink.and why do all the doom and gloom folks stick around.might as well leave and get a head start on everyone else
Isn't it part of the trucking industry as a whole, to **** and moan about our jobs and the industry? Have you listened on the CB lately? Whining is the American (trucking) way.
:grin:

Claims are thru the roof. The new hires they just gave a $4 raise to arent worth a ::shit::. They are the laziest people I have ever worked with. They cant drive. They all have absentee problems. And 80% take a run on workmans comp at least once within their first 9 months. Service is for ::shit::. The new elogs are a disaster. Dock supervisors are the most incompetent in the industry. And in 2 years this cluster **** is going to come back to us crying poor, and we had damn well better tell them to pound sand. How about that?

This is off topic but I want to let everyone know that if they ask you your 20 they already know.
We are improvising the new elogs and day two of it they were calling drivers into office and showing them on google earth ( I assume) exactly where their trailers were and even zooming in on the street and business( Dunkin Donuts,Wendy's ect.) and asking them why they were at unauthorized stop and not showing a break.They now know when tractor is running ,moving or cut off.They showed a driver where he sat in his tractor for 20 minutes before logging his lunch.Although I don't think contract allows discipline from surveillance I do know they can fire you if they follow you with union witness if you are stealing time.
I read entire grievance of driver that was putting the meat to them and he went to committee and lost his job first offense. Be careful brothers,city and road.

Another interesting off topic subject is that in Atlanta SAIA and Estes are working 4 days a week.That is a 20% pay cut and guess what, they tell you what day you are going to be off there isn't a sign up sheet for seniority.I knew a girl at Old Dominion that got laid off a few winters ago while several workers under her kept right on working.Saia does same shi t.
I agree with 5 Tolls, does anyone really want to leave a union environment and go into some bullshi t like that? It's all about perspective ,positive or negative .
We have several new tractors and forklifts parked and waiting in Atlanta.Im happy for road drivers,most of them seem to love the automatics.

Most truck drivers don't have college degrees or any higher education. So any of us that are making over 50k per year, should actually be pretty content, especially if we have a good benefits package also. And in my circle of friends, I know more guys making over 70k than under even 60k.
Just sayin'.
:coffee1:

600 trailer's & 300 trucks ??? Really been hearing this B.S. story for months now & still short trailer's & trucks DAILY and keep hearing the same old B.S. story oh they are buying more ??? Well then where the hell are these imaginary trailers and trucks at and plus then IF IF IF they ever show up who's going to drive them ?? and WHY are we taking on more freight than we can handle ?? Maybe stop taking on more freight till we can move what we have now ? Problem is you new guys don't know the smooth way Holland ran before the YRCW Cluster **** took over & ruined us !

Last edited: