FedEx Freight | City Fueling

Thom-8-Toes

TB Lurker
Credits
Can someone please explain fueling while in working city..... there are Rouge supervisors are trying to push this .......That if you fuel up in the city it falls under your 30 minute pretrip/post trip time....
I know thats not how it works and if it's posted here maybe it will educate some young skulls.....
If you try and tell them in person they run back and say he said this..he said that....

Can someone please explain fueling while in working city..... there are Rouge supervisors are trying to push this .......That if you fuel up in the city it falls under your 30 minute pretrip/post trip time....
I know thats not how it works and if it's posted here maybe it will educate some young skulls.....
If you try and tell them in person they run back and say he said this..he said that....
Funny that when we are busy ::shit:: like this isn't even an issue. But when corporate comes down on the center then every little BS thing is fair game.

That said, we're allowed 30 mins to pretrip our trailer/tractor. It would seem to me that if you had to refuel, an additional 15 minutes, as the road drivers get, would be acceptable.

But what do I know.

They try to tell us its 30 min out the gate no matter what needs done. Fuel, fluids, pre trip, check load, get pallet jack, get paperwork ready, etc. They make no exceptions.

They try to tell us its 30 min out the gate no matter what needs done. Fuel, fluids, pre trip, check load, get pallet jack, get paperwork ready, etc. They make no exceptions.
Not surprising. Road also gets 8 hours before a meal break. City gets only 6. Still trying to figure that one out.

This opinion that you can get a pallet jack, check your load, paperwork, sign into handheld, sign into eld, fuel, hook, and do a proper and full pre-trip inside of 30 minutes is due to the millions of miles those managing us have under their belt.
So here are your two options as I see them...

#1. Don't fuel, if you have enough to get you through the day, just don't. Leave it for the road driver he gets paid an allotted amount to do it.

#2. Professionally...hand your keys to the member of "leadership" :lmao: that's giving you grief and ask them to do their job. Come out and show you how to get out of the gate in 30 minutes. They'll give you some dog ::shit:: excuse about how they can't or that it's your job. Professionally explain that you are doing your job, and if you're not meeting their expectations then they should be able to come out and show you EXACTLY how to meet those expectations. You know....LEAD.

If you choose #2 you're likely not to hear of it for quite some time again.

Yes
When u leave the yard stop at the nearest truck stop, sign up for their rewards and fuel up. I do it everyday. It’s how I paid for my headset and CB. And another CB I sold online. A driver behind me thought he would move up a spot and told our SCM and call Harrison. SCM said “that’s y we give cards so u can fuel, doesn’t matter where u fuel at.” Now about 75% of our drivers, city and road do the same thing. Flying J has the best rewards.

This opinion that you can get a pallet jack, check your load, paperwork, sign into handheld, sign into eld, fuel, hook, and do a proper and full pre-trip inside of 30 minutes is due to the millions of miles those managing us have under their belt.
So here are your two options as I see them...

#1. Don't fuel, if you have enough to get you through the day, just don't. Leave it for the road driver he gets paid an allotted amount to do it.

#2. Professionally...hand your keys to the member of "leadership" :lmao: that's giving you grief and ask them to do their job. Come out and show you how to get out of the gate in 30 minutes. They'll give you some dog :::shit::: excuse about how they can't or that it's your job. Professionally explain that you are doing your job, and if you're not meeting their expectations then they should be able to come out and show you EXACTLY how to meet those expectations. You know....LEAD.

If you choose #2 you're likely not to hear of it for quite some time again.
The real reason as to why they keep pushing this stupid 30 minute rule is because I'm sure every center has a handful of kiss a** drivers that actually do it.. but at my center we have drivers that come in 30 min before their start time and they are walking down the dock to check their load and close the door.... once they then clock in they are out of the yard in 20 minutes. I see it EVERYDAY. It's sad

At Roadway back in the eighties it was "Out the gate in eight."

The real reason as to why they keep pushing this stupid 30 minute rule is because I'm sure every center has a handful of kiss a** drivers that actually do it.. but at my center we have drivers that come in 30 min before their start time and they are walking down the dock to check their load and close the door.... once they then clock in they are out of the yard in 20 minutes. I see it EVERYDAY. It's sad
Even worse at my center we have city drivers hooking up no pre trip and straight out the gate managers favorite drivers. Brought it up too our manager seemed concerned but nothing has changed. I'm sure he's happy with the low yard time and could care less about safety. And when one of our professional drivers who does a good pre trip and finds a defect he starts questioning why they just cant drive/pull it and he will have it repaired later.

Getting a little concerned with some of the local leadership and their management skills in my region never seen it so bad. Still like my job but it could be a lot better if they would just let me do it. Seems the more they try and force metrics the numbers just get worse.

Even worse at my center we have city drivers hooking up no pre trip and straight out the gate managers favorite drivers. Brought it up too our manager seemed concerned but nothing has changed. I'm sure he's happy with the low yard time and could care less about safety. And when one of our professional drivers who does a good pre trip and finds a defect he starts questioning why they just cant drive/pull it and he will have it repaired later.
Some hook, and go without checking anything won’t learn until something bad happens. Just remember,YOU, became liable the second you updated your computer that the pretrip was done. It will be on you, your license, and your conscious.

And all the above comments and thoughts are why Viking had fuelers at their medium to large teminals. Everything was fueled denying those that would "milk" the ability to do so.

No problem fueling at our center as long as you get enough to justify the time put into it. When the filters are good you can put in a gallon in 3 seconds.

Best advice I can give is to send a message in the handheld device EVERY TIME there is an issue. Any issue that causes a missed goal on depart time. Fuel, Fluid, anything related to the shop, Placard corrections, load securement, billing, etc.

Then a copy of any write up (corrective action) form can be helpful too.

When it comes time to contact H/R, Safety, & Legal (in that order), you will have all the documentation you need.

The above comes from actual experience.

Last edited:
Or, maybe management can stop being dicks to everyone and just target the habitual clock suckers. They track everything else, they know who is abusing the clock and who isn’t. I’m so tired of the “one screwed up, everyone must pay” mentality.
Cant. Mosta them clock milkers, least round these parts, is protected classes. Holdin everybody to the same standard might have the potential to give the appearance of political incorrectness and we sure as hell wouldnt want that

I used to do that. Had to be early to catch loadin and routin screwups and fix em so I wouldnt be out til midnight. That went out the window though once we started with the electronic dock freight crap

Aint a issue no more thankfully. They run me with freight thats already there. No more waitin for linehaul drones that dont know how to keep that left door shut and put hammer down