Holland | City Layoff's

Benny Hill

I'm Back (kinda)
Credits
We had 4 regular men and 1 about ready to come off his letter laid off Friday in Louisville. The "management" wants our barn to lay down and kiss their booty's and it's just never going to happen. We also have 3 dock only casuals that won't be able to be used either. IN has been getting the relay freight for the last couple of weeks that had been coming to Louisville from CB and some other points because we won't change our work rules. Now they are smacking our hands and telling us we are bad little boys. They just don't get it, they try this and it cost's them so much money that's it would be funny if there weren't men laid off. The last man punched out around 3:30AM Friday night and if they would have used everybody, that they could have, it would have been more like 11:30PM. They pay all that overtime to the city men, then they also pay roadmen to sit and wait all night long. Thursday they left 9 men at home in the city and then forced everybody else 10 hours. I guess they like paying overtime instead of straight time since the men that they could have worked had 3 days in already so their benny's were already paid for the week, duh. Did any other barns have a layoff or was it just us "Bad Little Boys" that won't play the game management's way?

Benny, we had a pre-shift meeting this morning about the state of company business. TM said frt levels were down 10%(company wide) from last Sept. He also stated our o/r company wide was 90.7 and measures were being taken to lower the o/r to 89%.(expectation's of YRCW) So with that being said and all the new hires, what else can they do to reduce cost? One bit of good news is our terminal has been ok'ed for a cook-out. Me. was recognized as the top term in operations since Bill M. took over. The man knows the business and is implementing his plan. Finally showing some growth. GRIZZ

benny hill it sounds just like the way redstar use to do things in albany there were always roadmen in the motel on the clock for hours getting payed because they wouldnt bring men in then the men that were in would do less making it worse those days are gone and holland everyone pulls there weight in ay

Well that answer's that I guess. Just us on the layoff's, that's what I thought. Thanks for reading my post and and since nobody else got the layoff's I guess we know where we stand with management. Right where we belong, lol.

P.S. Hey Indy, how much more relay have you guy's got lately, around 300 to 700 more bills a day?

Yep they did mention that the relay bills are up quite a bit. We have road drivers laid off but as of friday night we have no city men laid off. That could have changed after I went home at about 8pm.
I am pretty sure they are using the laid off road drivers in place of the part time casuals on the dock.(I think they have to offer it to them) They could be working more than the low road drivers who are not laid off.
I'm confused. What work rules do they want you to change?

Boilerpeddle, one thing is they want us to allow line-haul drivers to do city yard work, as needed, and another thing in the yard is they want to have dock workers load and unload trailers and then move their own trailer in or out of the dock. This would cost the city several jobs. Our bid's started 1 week late and were changed twice while we were bidding, stupid little thing's just to play games. There are other thing's that Billy L. wants and he just won't NO for an answer. Oh well, time will tell what happens. They have been playing games ever since our TM quit/got fired back in August. I'll keep you posted.

We in Columbus have lost alot of our relay freight, we was use to doing 35 trailers after the hand out and now we are doing about 22. That is with new hires and crossover drivers from the road. The rumor is that all the relay freight is moving into Dayton, because that is where non cdl casuals are working(rumor again) could anyone verify if this is also going on at their barn?

Benny Hill said:
Boilerpeddle, one thing is they want us to allow line-haul drivers to do city yard work, as needed, and another thing in the yard is they want to have dock workers load and unload trailers and then move their own trailer in or out of the dock. This would cost the city several jobs. Our bid's started 1 week late and were changed twice while we were bidding, stupid little thing's just to play games. There are other thing's that Billy L. wants and he just won't NO for an answer. Oh well, time will tell what happens. They have been playing games ever since our TM quit/got fired back in August. I'll keep you posted.

Benny Hill, get use to it. rumor has it that you guys cant stick together in LO.
Nine out of Ten guys that talk big, are usually the ones with there heads stuck up managements BUTT when they get back to work.
:27:

Hey Benny have your city men recieved their baby blue polo shirts? We got ours this week. Short sleeves I might add. I like the old Dutch blue color. Also what about the hand-held program, kind of lost some steam. GRIZZ

slammer said:
Benny Hill, get use to it. rumor has it that you guys cant stick together in LO.
Nine out of Ten guys that talk big, are usually the ones with there heads stuck up managements BUTT when they get back to work.
:27:
I don't know where you get your info but I disagree with the rumor that you heard. We have some suckee's like everybody else does but for the most part we take care of our own. We have very strong, knowledgeable and hard working stewards that are on top of everything, and then some, every day. We are currently without a regular TM, we have a temporary troubleshooter (troublemaker) for now.

Grizz said:
Hey Benny have your city men recieved their baby blue polo shirts? We got ours this week. Short sleeves I might add. I like the old Dutch blue color. Also what about the hand-held program, kind of lost some steam. GRIZZ
We got the orange short sleeve shirts a while back but I haven't seen any blue ones yet. Did you get the orange shirts before the blue ones?

We are still using the hand-held's but the office workers go back over the info after the fact. Our program is nothing to write home about!

Benny Hill said:
I don't know where you get your info but I disagree with the rumor that you heard. We have some suckee's like everybody else does but for the most part we take care of our own. We have very strong, knowledgeable and hard working stewards that are on top of everything, and then some, every day. We are currently without a regular TM, we have a temporary troubleshooter (troublemaker) for now.

Mr. Hill, my brother inlaw works in the city at your Lo term.
I do not know you. I do know him. Do not take this the wrong way, but I will have to take his word over yours.
You have a nice day sir.

slammer said:
Mr. Hill, my brother inlaw works in the city at your Lo term.
I do not know you. I do know him. Do not take this the wrong way, but I will have to take his word over yours.
You have a nice day sir.
He has his opinion and I have mine, enough said. I show up every day and do my job. I very seldom have a problem myself but there are some that have a problem every day. They (management) are cracking down on the people that abuse the rules after a very long time of doing nothing to them. My problem is they don't do something to stop the bad ones but instead they do something to all of us to get back at the bad ones? There are disagreement's but I like where I work. Times change and there are several new people hired every year, the old days are gone and we all have to live in the present day, like it or not. I've been around this business for over 30 years and it changes but it stays the same. Time will tell as to what will happen to us all. Have a nice week and you can call me Benny if you want, Mr. Hill was my father. :thumbsup:

Benny Hill said:
He has his opinion and I have mine, enough said. I show up every day and do my job. I very seldom have a problem myself but there are some that have a problem every day. They (management) are cracking down on the people that abuse the rules after a very long time of doing nothing to them. My problem is they don't do something to stop the bad ones but instead they do something to all of us to get back at the bad ones? There are disagreement's but I like where I work. Times change and there are several new people hired every year, the old days are gone and we all have to live in the present day, like it or not. I've been around this business for over 30 years and it changes but it stays the same. Time will tell as to what will happen to us all. Have a nice week and you can call me Benny if you want, Mr. Hill was my father. :thumbsup:

Was Hank your Dad??:bye1:

Benny Hill said:
and another thing in the yard is they want to have dock workers load and unload trailers and then move their own trailer in or out of the dock. .

At Indy, outbound dock workers do pull out trailers to the ready line when they get closed out, if they are hooked. Road drivers are not allowed to do anything unless the terminal is dark. I think we would raise holy hell if the bids were changed in the middle of bidding, but then again it seems like they get away with murder anymore. We have been two or three weeks late in bidding before.

games,games,games, it's all in the numbers to look good r/s did it all the time money spent for nothing to look good

Boilerpeddle said:
At Indy, outbound dock workers do pull out trailers to the ready line when they get closed out, if they are hooked. Road drivers are not allowed to do anything unless the terminal is dark.

I think you might have misunderstood Benny Hill. What he was saying is that they want the "dock workers" who unloaded or loaded the trailer to pull it to the ready line and not the yard man/hoslter (which is his job). He never did mention road drivers doing this work!!