Holland | City Layoff's

Benny Hill said:
Boilerpeddle, one thing is they want us to allow line-haul drivers to do city yard work, as needed,

Sorry I should have quoted him the first time to avoid any confusion.
I really just wanted to point out that our evening dock workers do pull trucks to the ready line.
Plus if they need some help in the yard they pull them from the dock. So I think that's how they justify it, they are just pulling the man to the yard for the few minutes it takes to pull the trailer out.

Boilerpeddle said:
Sorry I should have quoted him the first time to avoid any confusion.
I really just wanted to point out that our evening dock workers do pull trucks to the ready line.
Plus if they need some help in the yard they pull them from the dock. So I think that's how they justify it, they are just pulling the man to the yard for the few minutes it takes to pull the trailer out.

The same thing happens at our place. The dockworkers sometimes pull trucks from the dock, to help close the barn earlier. It’s all about numbers you know. Line- haul doesn’t touch the trucks till it’s ready. At our place we do not have a yard bid either, it is usually the bottom two men on the board with CDL’s.

In GR the dock guys pull out all powered units at the end of the night, or as they are completed if that is earlier than closing. Dock guys are also sent out to run switcher if needed. The 2 yard guys are only responsible for hooking power to trailers and doing any drop/hooks while the barn is open.

As far as lay-offs, last I knew GR had 5 road drivers laid off and 5 city guys laid off. 3 of the laid off city guys have bumped onto road board.

Doogie396 said:
In GR the dock guys pull out all powered units at the end of the night, or as they are completed if that is earlier than closing. Dock guys are also sent out to run switcher if needed. The 2 yard guys are only responsible for hooking power to trailers and doing any drop/hooks while the barn is open.

As far as lay-offs, last I knew GR had 5 road drivers laid off and 5 city guys laid off. 3 of the laid off city guys have bumped onto road board.
Doogie, how big is your barn (doors)? How many city men do you have when everyone is working? We have 80 doors and about 125 city men. On the closeout shift's we have 6 yard bids.

Benny Hill said:
Doogie, how big is your barn (doors)? How many city men do you have when everyone is working? We have 80 doors and about 125 city men. On the closeout shift's we have 6 yard bids.

GR has 80 doors and I think they are at around 90 city men now. There are 2 morning yard bids (starting at 3:00am). No pm yard bids, the night hooking is done on rotation, 2 men at a time for 6 weeks, rotating through the last shift roster.

Doogie396 said:

At our barn, management told us that road board could bump into city, but city could NOT bump to the road. I always thought that was a violation of seniority. As far as I know we have only two roadmen on layoff in Erie.

:USA:

Stimpy said:

At our barn, management told us that road board could bump into city, but city could NOT bump to the road. I always thought that was a violation of seniority. As far as I know we have only two roadmen on layoff in Erie.

:USA:
Here, during a city or road layoff, men can work extra in city or road position's, if there is work. Whenever a road or city job is open there is a crossover list put up for anybody that wants to go to the other job. We have separate seniority list's for the city and road board's.

Benny Hill said:
Here, during a city or road layoff, men can work extra in city or road position's, if there is work. Whenever a road or city job is open there is a crossover list put up for anybody that wants to go to the other job. We have separate seniority list's for the city and road board's.

I see, at our barn we have one master seniority list, but we have a road board and a city board that is under that one master list. Once a year in April we have crossover bids, at this time you can switch from one to the other. This is the only time you can switch. They do put up a list in seniority order for both city and road boards, it is next to the master list it just shows how you fall on your board for seniority, but if you were to switch at crossover you would not go to the bottom, because of the master seniority list. One of the lay-off roadmen is working in the city now; hopefully everybody will be back to work soon.

At Our barn there iare two seniority lists. You can go from one to the other if they are hiring in the one you want to go to. They take you first.
But you lose seniority for bidding and go to the bottom of the board.

Boilerpeddle said:
At Our barn there iare two seniority lists. You can go from one to the other if they are hiring in the one you want to go to. They take you first.
But you lose seniority for bidding and go to the bottom of the board.
Same here.