SAIA | Claims reduction program

Demolitionman

TB Veteran
Credits
Do you guys think it will work? I think it's a good idea to make us all keep a better eye out for letting damaged freight slide by or for damaging it ourselves. My bid calls for picking up a drop trailer at a shipper, working the dock and then running linehaul. Another guy who does a similar run says he has a thought in regards to every piece of freight he moves on the dock. That thought is "what would I do for work if this customer stops shipping with us b/c I damaged it." It seems a little overboard, but doesn't a similar thought cross our minds when we are driving our tractors? At the risk of sounding like I'm drinking the kool-aid, let's all try to keep a better eye out for damaged freight when we are picking it up or loading it to ensure we are not in the unemployment line.:smilie_132:

Do you guys think it will work? I think it's a good idea to make us all keep a better eye out for letting damaged freight slide by or for damaging it ourselves. My bid calls for picking up a drop trailer at a shipper, working the dock and then running linehaul. Another guy who does a similar run says he has a thought in regards to every piece of freight he moves on the dock. That thought is "what would I do for work if this customer stops shipping with us b/c I damaged it." It seems a little overboard, but doesn't a similar thought cross our minds when we are driving our tractors? At the risk of sounding like I'm drinking the kool-aid, let's all try to keep a better eye out for damaged freight when we are picking it up or loading it to ensure we are not in the unemployment line.:smilie_132:

We should all share a similar attitude as the one you quoted. That isn't drinking the kool aid, it is just good sound business practice. Just remember that every dollar paid out in claims, accidents, injuries, is just that much less that we will receive in wages and/or benefits, newer equipment, etc.

We need to remember that we need our customers more than they need us. They have plenty of choices of carriers. If we do the things that we know to do,(i.e. counting the freight, tallies, securing the freight if you have the means to do so, proper handling, not picking up claims looking to happen on our trailer or dock) we can reduce claims. Reduced claims mean greater job security for all of us.

As drivers can we work harder and save $8 million? No way , but working smarter and counting our freight, don't allow the paint to fall over will go a long way.