Yellow | Class B CDL, straight truck

jacks

TB Lurker
Credits
I recently had to down grade from class A to B, I could not conquer the manual transmission. At least I gave it my best effort. I finish my cdl school this friday. Any of you truckers know any companies that might be hiring straight truck drivers who only operate automatic trans. I have all the endorsements you can get for a class B. I am looking for work in Dayton, or Cincinnati, Ohio.

Depends on what you want to do. I drive expedite (team), nation wide. We stay out for long periods. If you want to be home every week, that's not for you. I too have a class-A with all the wazoo stuff. Our truck (fleet-owned) has auto-shift, but I can drive either. I can give you a contact and additional information if you're interested. By the way, skill with a manual should have no bearing on the class of truck you drive. A lot of 18-wheelers have autoshift, a lot of 6,8,10 wheelers have full (10-13-18 speed) manuals. All the trucks in our fleet do have airbrakes, so that endorsement IS required.

Aich

Jocks, I see by your post that your new to the trucking industry, but we all have been there. For starters I think you need to work on your driving skills. Limiting yourself to a straight truck with an automatic transmission really puts you out of the market getting a job with a freight company. Freight drivers are at the top of the food chain. Freight companies demand and receive only the best drivers. A class A license with all the endorsements including HM endorsement is required. You are required to drive any piece of equipment or combination of the company owns. I think your best chance in getting a driving job would be with some kind of mail or small package service. You can also go to U-Haul and rent one of the older straight trucks with a manual transmission to work on your shifting skills. With a little practice you will be a "big strapper" in no time at all. Good luck my friend. TP

I have to be honest with you but I wouldn't let you drive my American made Trek 930 with 21 gears! PS: I don't know about the other guys on here but I want to be upgraded to my old supertrucker status and my 1000 plus posts!!!

Find and hire an illegal to shift for ya. Stop at Homeless Depot and pick one up.

I recently had to down grade from class A to B, I could not conquer the manual transmission. At least I gave it my best effort. I finish my cdl school this friday. Any of you truckers know any companies that might be hiring straight truck drivers who only operate automatic trans. I have all the endorsements you can get for a class B. I am looking for work in Dayton, or Cincinnati, Ohio.
Most Ready Mix concrete companies only have tandem axle "Class B" equipment. That will also help you get some expierience driving on the street. My first driving job was ready mix, look in the yellow pages there are likely many ready mix companies in your area. :shift:

My chauffer has a class A cdl.

And who might that be, jimmy "the po:shhit:, oops, forgot" hoffa? Maybe tyson "little" johnson? Although I could see the big zero with one of those chauffer hats after he gets tossed out on his a$$ in 2012. :biglaugh:

"Freight drivers are at the top of the food chain"?? I guess you must haul a lot of those
dvd-sized loads, cross country, for $5 grand or so, getting 10+ mpg. Enjoy.