FedEx Freight | Closing National Relay yards

Guardrail

TB Legend
Credits
Since FedEx is closing Aurora NE, Sidney NE, and Shamrock TX (just to name a few), how does FedEx Freight plan on moving that freight?

I know Aurora had 48 bids and Sidney had a bunch more than that. That's a lot of freight to dump into the Freight system. Anyone know how this is going to work?

If Freight has a trailer that is fully cubed going from Atlanta to Seattle, how does it get there? (and don't tell me behind a truck)

I guess routing is the key. There will be some serious hiring and some serious lay offs depending on where we are in the country.

Yes, kinda. Omaha is the close to Aurora and it's being merged with Council Bluffs. Grand Island is 20 miles from Aurora, but it's a dinky facility that is smaller than the drop yard in Aurora.

I'm not sure about the rest of the drop yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has everything to do with the Fedex Freight system they will be using the same lanes to move that freight that they use to move the regional, and inter-regional freight that is currently being moved within their lanes now, (increased number of drivers as needed to handle the volume).

<BTW> I know it may not make sense at a glance, but believe me, the freight flow analysts are very good at that stuff, and yeah..., the rail is a definitely a going to be a major factor in the grand scheme. :17113:

your right there on being on the rail. thats why the tandems were bought.We all know they will not hook up to a freight box.So why else why we would purchase tandems.

Rumor has it that Fedex is trying to lure Bill Zollars away from YRCW, since he's done such a great job over there. Just Kidding. I did hear that they will be moving linehaul dispatch from Hootersville to Memphis. Maybe the big money boys what to keep there fingers closer to the action.

All the new vans were ordered as rail vans. I wonder how long it will take the rail yards to tear off the aero skirts?

childress tx going from 10 drivers to 55. 15 holbrook meets nighttime 630miles ,3 denver meets nights 522 miles, 7 dallas hubs nights 478 miles, 18 dallas hubs days 478 miles,7 denver meets 522 miles and 5 xtra boards.

yes as i posted earlier this morn. most of economy freigth(national) will be rail as quoted by managment,not all of course! There for not all of this merger is going to be pleasent,not enough freight for all

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF the rail!!!!!!!!!!!! But i get it that is why the twin screws and rail tailers. Sucks for us. Maybe we can become railroad guys. Thats it buy a railroad and wait for ever to merg us in!!!! Sounds like a party.

I wish you guys would stop calling those Intertrashanal twin axle trucks twin screws. They are 1/2 screws. They carry 4 spare tires around with them. :)

Sorry tandem that you can not take the weght off the dead axle so you just spin out while trying to switch out trucks!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry for the run on sentence..