Cloudy headlights on my truck

Steelbone66

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi everyone, I am new here. Been lurking on the forum for quite a long time and finally decided to register. This is my first post and here's what I want to ask. I drive a 2007 freightliner columbia 120 for about 4 years now, and the headlights became cloudy. I was wondering if they polish out somehow or is it something that's easier to replace than mess with?

Hi everyone, I am new here. Been lurking on the forum for quite a long time and finally decided to register. This is my first post and here's what I want to ask. I drive a 2007 freightliner columbia 120 for about 4 years now, and the headlights became cloudy. I was wondering if they polish out somehow or is it something that's easier to replace than mess with?
nearly any auto parts store sells headlight cleaner kits. i use Turtle Wax, headlight cleaner, does a very good job.

The lens become cloudy due to oxidation. As Pro said there are kits that are available that contain an abrasive to remove the dull finish & a polish to prevent more oxidation. I have had success using common polishing compound or rubbing compound.

Lowes Home Improvement sells a product call Gorilla Lens Cleaner. Walmart has one by another name. That and a drill and you'll have clear headlights

thanks, even i will check out lowes for that one...!!!!
I found it on their website. Couldn't find it. Asked the manager and he found it. I did four card with it and can do about three more. But there are many others on the market. Never tried those wipe on wipe off.

I found it on their website. Couldn't find it. Asked the manager and he found it. I did four card with it and can do about three more. But there are many others on the market. Never tried those wipe on wipe off.
yeah, i just went to 2 different Lowes...cannot find it at all....

i will try thier website, thanks again!

yeah, i just went to 2 different Lowes...cannot find it at all....

i will try thier website, thanks again!
Dont forget wally world. Auto part stores, and I have even seen some in our Walgreens drug store. Might not be the same brand, but if it has the disc to put in a drill, they will work. Just please hold on tight as the spinning drill will kick back.

nope, no such product, not even on gorilla.com......

G1f2Zrs.jpg

Dont forget wally world. Auto part stores, and I have even seen some in our Walgreens drug store. Might not be the same brand, but if it has the disc to put in a drill, they will work. Just please hold on tight as the spinning drill will kick back.
the turtle wax headlight cleaner i use, i use a simple rag, and rub it onto the lens, then polish it off.

Thanks guys, turtle wax helped me on my wife's camry...but not the truck for now

the condition of the headlights on my truck turned to be worse than I thought. All scratched up, especially the passenger side, so I'll keep working on it. Lots of polishing ahead!

This sounds weird but it worked on my car. OFF Bug spray. Spray it on. Sit for maybe 10 seconds then wipe it off. Now it does make the plastic soft. It will harden back up. Cleared them up decent

I've finally polished out my headlights, but anyways, they are not as clear as the new ones.
A buddy of mine suggested that I will have to repeat this procedure year after year because the oxidization will appear with time anyway and adviced to use a protective film, to block the lense, which makes a lot of sense to me.
I found a couple of nice solutions like this xpell film https://www.truckid.com/xpel/clear-headlight-protection-kit-mpn-h30107.html
and https://www.amazon.com/Rshield-Headlight-Protection-Covers-2011-2017/dp/B01MTULBR4

but looks like they don't make them for International Columbia, so I will have to buy that film and custom cut to fit on my headlights

I've finally polished out my headlights, but anyways, they are not as clear as the new ones.
A buddy of mine suggested that I will have to repeat this procedure year after year because the oxidization will appear with time anyway and adviced to use a protective film, to block the lense, which makes a lot of sense to me.
I found a couple of nice solutions like this xpell film https://www.truckid.com/xpel/clear-headlight-protection-kit-mpn-h30107.html
and https://www.amazon.com/Rshield-Headlight-Protection-Covers-2011-2017/dp/B01MTULBR4

but looks like they don't make them for International Columbia, so I will have to buy that film and custom cut to fit on my headlights
tell you the truth, i think those protective films are to prevent stone chips, not cloudy lenses....

doesn't hurt to try, but don't expect miracles.

in the end, new or very good used lenses from a bone yard, may be in your future.

This sounds weird but it worked on my car. OFF Bug spray. Spray it on. Sit for maybe 10 seconds then wipe it off. Now it does make the plastic soft. It will harden back up. Cleared them up decent
Correct. any insect repellant with Deet will work. If your cheap, you can polish the headlight lenses with Toothpaste and a Rag.

All if these plastic lens will cloud up due to the nature of their makeup and nature. It's kinda like hardwood flooring. After a while, you gotta sand and refinish them.