Averitt | Combo classification abolished, thoughts anyone? Keep it clean please.

Iceman

Company Man
Credits
Allowing our Combo drivers to dovetail in to their choice of City or Shuttle has many very happy and a few very upset. The Combo classification allowed many dockworkers and TL drivers and easy transfer, granted it was a lower pay scale, each driver understood this before commitment. After many years of feed back from our Combo's, this classification is no more. Me personally I will lose at least two, maybe three positions on the Shuttle board. While this will no doubt affect my family's finances to the tune of 8-10k a year, I am not upset and have always been a supporter of seniority. These possible new Shuttle drivers are like family to me and I am all about them taking advantage of this opportunity and will be available to help with their new position. If anything can be learned from this change of operations is be careful what you ask for, while the thoughts of doing away with Combo's seemed like the fair thing to do, it will no doubt negatively affect some combo's while being a huge blessing for others. One thing I have learned about working here and in life in general is, IT'S NOT ABOUT ME, I'M ONE OF SEVERAL THOUSAND ASSOCIATES. The Single Sleeper separate division will be a blessing and a curse to some. I actually entertained the thoughts of running SS in the future just for a change of scenery. But that is no longer an option, and that is ok too.

I think it is a great thing to do away with the combo they should not have been making less to begin with...But what is really unfair if a combo driver that just started and a city driver that has been with the company no matter how long and they both want to go shuttle.....the combo driver bids ahead and they both make the same pay..I really do not know how they can come up with that ....Maybe the rest of us will get a well deserved raise

That is not how it was explained in our meeting. We have 7 Combo slots on Shuttle that are now vacant, So the man with the most company time gets the position, whether he is from Team, Combo or City. City and Team go to bottom for a year, Combo dovetails in. Copied from the memo; "Shuttle runs currently being worked by combo drivers will be opened up for bid among team shuttle, combo and city drivers, also based on length of service."

City driver will be transferring to a new position, combo drivers position was eliminated so he gets all seniority immediately.

You mean Shuttle? Senior city drivers who decide on Shuttle go to bottom for 1 year and then dovetail, Combo's dovetail in July because of classification elimination.

Senior city driver could have more time than top shuttle guy and after a year be no. 1 shuttle and still not be topped out after 25 years of service. I've always felt that these senior city drivers are the backbone of this company. They have my respect. Maybe not the respect of the people calling the shots.

I think it is a great thing to do away with the combo they should not have been making less to begin with...But what is really unfair if a combo driver that just started and a city driver that has been with the company no matter how long and they both want to go shuttle.....the combo driver bids ahead and they both make the same pay..I really do not know how they can come up with that ....Maybe the rest of us will get a well deserved raise
It is ALL seniority driven. I think you are misunderstanding how it will work, Panther. Since there is no more Combo, you cannot even use the word Combo in any comparison.

Senior city driver could have more time than top shuttle guy and after a year be no. 1 shuttle and still not be topped out after 25 years of service. I've always felt that these senior city drivers are the backbone of this company. They have my respect. Maybe not the respect of the people calling the shots.

He could be exactly that and go to number 1 shuttle after a year. I think that maybe there has been an oversight and that a city driver who comes into shuttle will be at top shuttle pay because of LOS. May need some clarification.

Transferring City Drivers will come in at .445 cents a mile with a penny every 6 months until top pay. The new SINGLE SLEEPER classification is the only class that will allow top Shuttle pay from the beginning if they are currently topped out in the classification.

I am really glad the sleeper associates are getting a raise they probably deserve it more than anyone else...sitting at the service centers waiting on loads not making a dime...but just can't understand why a 20 year city driver will bid after a driver that is combo at the present time with little time with the company...and it's not just a year till you pickup your seniority we usually bid in the middle of October really no big deal...It's not really affecting me at all I like running the city but we have associates with a lot of time with the company that it is..oh well just a thought .. maybe we will all get a raise soon...

Panther, A senior city driver WILL bid over a once Combo driver, granted he will fall to the bottom and regain after one year.

Most city drivers and shuttle drivers will have seniority on the combo guys most likely because combo was about all they would hire. That was when corp. dreamed up this silly combo concept.

I have been wondering if they are going to expand the use of sleeper shuttle. At nor we only have 3 SS, doesn't seem that would warrant its own classification. I'm not sure how many run out of other svc's.

In a nutshell no matter where you fall in line with your LOS we have plenty of good shuttle runs...my only problem is a driver with 20 years has to take 2 years to top out just because you are changing jobs...We all know what other LTL carriers are paying drivers...We reached that one billion dollar in revenue ..Revenue up 7% it's time for everyone to get a decent raise.

May bring on impending retirement earlier than I'd planned. All of our competition is hiring ( driver shortage industry wide) and most start out higher pay than our top out.

It will take the clueless management of this outfit years to understand that though.