Estes | Combo Driver

DblsTrplsOhMy

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello, all!! New to the site, and not a driver for Estes yet. Wanted to get some feedback, from MI drivers especially, about the Combo position. I have an interview for it tomorrow, and, ultimately want to go linehaul. Looking for some insight. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!!

Not sure how combo 8s rsn out of the terminal you're applying to, just know, after combo your next position you'll want to get into will be extraboard or LH, after 90 days all your combo time will carry over into linehaul I.E you were a combo dtiver for 3 yrs, you switch your classification and 90 days later your LH Seniority will be 3yrs +90 days

Not sure how combo 8s rsn out of the terminal you're applying to, just know, after combo your next position you'll want to get into will be extraboard or LH, after 90 days all your combo time will carry over into linehaul I.E you were a combo dtiver for 3 yrs, you switch your classification and 90 days later your LH Seniority will be 3yrs +90 days

Thank you for the feedback. I’m in Michigan, but, that’s huge. Just get through probation, and keep my eyes open for linehaul.

depends on the bid, some are designated layovers, usually up and back
Alright, just got back. Got offered the job, and it seems that there are some different classifications of linehaul: Linehaul Driver, Hub Driver, and Extra Board Driver. Linehaul sounds like the “gravy” gig; all miles, no dock. Hub is something I’m ok with- I used to break trailers at the hub before coming back to my home terminal with FedEx Freight. Extra board, I’m not interested in. So, anyone want to tell me:

Pay difference between Linehaul and Hub?

Entry level wages?

Also- can one get on a hub bid, and then transition, in time, to a linehaul bid?

I checked with the TM- none of the Linehaul/Hub runs layover out of his terminal. Except for extra board.

Alright, just got back. Got offered the job, and it seems that there are some different classifications of linehaul: Linehaul Driver, Hub Driver, and Extra Board Driver. Linehaul sounds like the “gravy” gig; all miles, no dock. Hub is something I’m ok with- I used to break trailers at the hub before coming back to my home terminal with FedEx Freight. Extra board, I’m not interested in. So, anyone want to tell me:

Pay difference between Linehaul and Hub?

Entry level wages?

Also- can one get on a hub bid, and then transition, in time, to a linehaul bid?

I checked with the TM- none of the Linehaul/Hub runs layover out of his terminal. Except for extra board.
All jobs pay the same mileage , that there 5 day out gig pays about a cent more

Sorry to keep bombarding you fellas- if I sign up for Hub Driver, can I make a transition to Linehaul in time?

you can but your time starts over.

hub and scheduled linehaul make the same mileage. Extraboard linehaul gets 2.5 cents more. Extraboard counts toward linehaul seniority. It sucks being out all week but in 3 years you will have wished you did it.

Think long term. If being home is important consider combo. Put some years in doing that and slide over into linehaul. If you really think working the dock in the middle of your trip is your thing and will be for the rest of your career, then hub is alright.

The annual salary depends on a lot of things. You can make 6 figures running the road. If you’re lazy you can make 70k.

Just to clarify, if you hire in as a hub driver, you will likely never get a linehaul bid. If you change from hub to linehaul, you will go to the bottom of the linehaul board and have none of the benefit of your hub time. If you want a linehaul bid you’ve got to do your time on the road or run combo for a while.

Just to clarify, if you hire in as a hub driver, you will likely never get a linehaul bid. If you change from hub to linehaul, you will go to the bottom of the linehaul board and have none of the benefit of your hub time. If you want a linehaul bid you’ve got to do your time on the road or run combo for a while.
Roger that! I appreciate your input. So, a lazy mofo can still scrape 70k!? Well, ::shit::. I’m assuming the hub guys runs are under 250 miles one way.

Roger that! I appreciate your input. So, a lazy mofo can still scrape 70k!? Well, :::shit:::. I’m assuming the hub guys runs are under 250 miles one way.

yeah usually. I don’t know a thing about that particular terminal except I bet it’s cold on the dock in the winter. We’ve got a handful of hub runs where I’m at and they’re in the 450 mile range.

And yeah there’s a lot of income potential here. This is a good gig.