SAIA | Company Mandated Time Out (out of service/suspension)

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
I had the misfortune of letting some equipment move with someone still in it a week ago. I was placed out of service until the next safety call. That consisted of 5 consecutive days off. The weekend days did not count as part of the time out. Not allowed to use vacation/personal days. Anybody else had this fun experience? :hissy:

I had the misfortune of letting some equipment move with someone still in it.

I am confused by this statement, but sometimes it does not take that much to confuse me.

probably hooking at the door, and moved it while somebody was in the trailer.

I have did this at another company, took the guy for a wild ride cause I was pissed. He turned white, I said sorry for 10 minutes straight.

I never liked doing that. Its a good way to drop a trailer because you just don't hit it or pull as hard when you know the door is still open. Anything to make sure that you leave on time.

[quote author=Brother Trucker link=topic=81754.msg844025#msg844025 date=1278377185]
I had the misfortune of letting some equipment move with someone still in it a week ago. I was placed out of service until the next safety call. That consisted of 5 consecutive days off. The weekend days did not count as part of the time out. Not allowed to use vacation/personal days. Anybody else had this fun experience? :hissy:
[/quote]

What are you on suspension for?

The suspension is over. It was for a serious rules violation-roll away. The forklift driver wasn't too pleased either when the trailer started to move when he did. I was hooking a set at the dock and didn't set the tractor brake. When I released the trailer brakes to check for air leaks and rolled up the landing gear.....well, the rest is now history. Today's payday hurt as a big fat zero was put in the bank thanks to that bad bit of forgetfulness.

Here is my story. Went for DOT recertification with a couple of days to spare before expiration. For the first time, I failed the eye test. Just one eye but that was enough to fail the recertification until I go to the doctor and correct the problem to DOT standards. Saia HR shut me down even though my current card is still valid. So, the idea of taking the DOT early so as to have time to correct a problem "BEFORE" your card expires doesn't wash with HR. They will shut you down. Might as well wait until the last day.

That sucks BT. I'm surprised it does not happen more often. In ATL your trailer will show closed on the board and the dispatcher will give you your hooks, only for you to find out the door is still open on one of your trailers and still being loaded. Glad to hear you are back rolling again though.

I am just glad that no one was injured. I told the terminal manager he had a fresh case to remind his dock workers that they need to be vigilant when backing out of a trailer.

Dracula, did you have any eye issues that you were aware of before taking the medical exam? It's tough when one tries to do the right thing and gets slapped for it. I trust the eye problem has been corrected.

Brother Trucker, I had to use two personal days but now have bifocals. My office visit cost $25.00 but I now have a perscription,however, $12.00 Walgreen reading glasses would have taken care of the problem. There was some indication of a problem becaused I needed to use low magnification reading glasses to check the numbers on trip manifests while using the cab interior lights at night. If anyone is having the same problem, go to the doctor, get your bifocals and avoid being shut down.

I hear you about the weak eyes. I long ago discovered that I had "short arm disease". Progressive lenses on my glasses addressed the issue for me.

It becomes frustrating when HR overreacts to such a minor problem. It sounds like the company lawyers are making policy instead of management.

Our dispatchers really love it when the trailer is closed out for several hours and no bills show up in the dispatch office. As for the 30 minute hook up time, for me it would start when they make the bill packets available or trailer numbers available for hook up.

[quote author=Ro Ho link=topic=81754.msg844195#msg844195 date=1278433119]
What are you on suspension for?
[/quote]the same thing happened to a team couple of years ago,pulled a trlr away from the dock with the dock plate in it and a dockworker on the plate,they suspended him for three days,called him up after the third day said he was fired.

Do you guys have the chairs that go across the dock doors to tell the driver that it is okay to pull out the trailer?

I'm sure we do at some terminal, but I have not seen it. We are just suppose to check that the plate is out, and door is down before pulling away.