SEFL | Compensation

When I was employed at Sefl they made sure they instilled in your head at every meeting and video that they were not the cheapest carrier. However, I have heard customers tell me they used us because we were the cheapest for the particular zip code / lane they shipped to. We provided very poor, late pickup service to several rural pickups that we serviced so poorly but were priced so cheap compared to other carriers that they’d literally leave their freight unattended out in the open for hours on an outside dock with the bills attached to sign and pro-up on an almost daily basis. We were all stretched so thin with so much area to cover and so many deliveries and pickups. I never, that I can remember, had a customer tell me they used Sefl for the service. I will say as far as next day service in the southeast region they probably are the most reliable in most lanes.

When I was employed at Sefl they made sure they instilled in your head at every meeting and video that they were not the cheapest carrier. However, I have heard customers tell me they used us because we were the cheapest for the particular zip code / lane they shipped to. We provided very poor, late pickup service to several rural pickups that we serviced so poorly but were priced so cheap compared to other carriers that they’d literally leave their freight unattended out in the open for hours on an outside dock with the bills attached to sign and pro-up on an almost daily basis. We were all stretched so thin with so much area to cover and so many deliveries and pickups. I never, that I can remember, had a customer tell me they used Sefl for the service. I will say as far as next day service in the southeast region they probably are the most reliable in most lanes.
To be fair, you didnt drive for us long after they trained you. I've have had numerous people commend SEFL on the service they received. I've ran P&D for them for 10+ years.

Also, I've been to alot of meeting where they've said numerous times, they would rather have next day freight more so than two or three day freight. Apparently we are better equipped to handle that better than the two or three day or it's a bigger money maker.

I've also ran many routes on my 10 years of P&D and I've seen more than my fair share of missed pickups not only by SEFL but every other carrier.

We are running around 1200-1300 bills a day between IB and OB. Basic knowledge in this business would tell you that price alone would not be enough to maintain numbers like that.

Last edited:
To be fair, you didnt drive for us long after they trained you. I've have had numerous people commend SEFL on the service they received. I've ran P&D for them for 10+ years.

Also, I've been to alot of meeting where they've said numerous times, they would rather have next day freight more so than two or three day freight. Apparently we are better equipped to handle that better than the two or three day or it's a bigger money maker.

I've also ran many routes on my 10 years of P&D and I've seen more than my fair share of missed pickups not only by SEFL but every other carrier.

We are running around 1200-1300 bills a day between IB and OB. Basic knowledge in this business would tell you that price alone would not be enough to maintain numbers like that.
Fair enough. Though not 10 years I feel it was long enough to get a good enough grasp on things though. It felt like an eternity but as I get older time moves faster, a lot faster. Wow they’re handling quite a few more bills now days. Seemed like it was 6-800 normally when I worked the inbound. Safe travels out there.

.65 per mile versus .72 at ups. Does a union make a difference? It seems that it does increase a drivers bottom line; which is why we work after all. That’s nearly $10k annual difference on a 500 mile per day line haul run. Is more money worth putting up with union baggage? A pension that will be there when a driver retires would make it worth the uinion baggage. That’s really the bottom line for me. Will that promised pension be there when I retire? Looks like it will at present, but yrcs did at one time also

.65 per mile versus .72 at ups. Does a union make a difference? It seems that it does increase a drivers bottom line; which is why we work after all. That’s nearly $10k annual difference on a 500 mile per day line haul run. Is more money worth putting up with union baggage? A pension that will be there when a driver retires would make it worth the uinion baggage. That’s really the bottom line for me. Will that promised pension be there when I retire? Looks like it will at present, but yrcs did at one time also
Big difference between the YRC pension and the UPS pension is that at UPS ours is solely for Ups no one else. If our pension were to go belly up it's insured at 100%.

Big difference between the YRC pension and the UPS pension is that at UPS ours is solely for Ups no one else. If our pension were to go belly up it's insured at 100%.
How long will bottom hire be at risk of layoffs where you are? Will he get 40hrs a week? Will his linehaul run get cut?

Yes we have cut some runs and added others. The only people that I'm aware of being laid of are some of the part time dock workers.

Really? I'd venture to say that 90% of our road drivers make that the first year, after that it keeps going up we have 14 drivers at my barn 4 make over $100k the rest of the top pay are $80k plus

Giving many details would mark me. With some of my posts here I would be considered pro union and therefore undesirable at sefl. Suffice it to say rotation isn’t high but we do rotate