ABF | Contract Labor

Roundbelly

TB Lurker
Credits
Happy holidays to everyone! Was courious if anyone could tell me what the contract allows for the amount of outside labor to make deliveries? We use someone every day and have a yrc terminal closing in town.

050 is using them currently with guys laid off pretty sure the company doesnt care
Is your BA Kenny Jones or Danny Barton? Tell them what is happening by filling out the grievance paper work, time stamp it & hand it to your BA & or Steward. You DO NOT need permission to file a grievance from anyone. Once you hand them the time stamped grievance they can not ignore it. Tell them before you file? They might want to talk you out of it. If this is going on, your Steward already knows what is happening. That in itself says a lot about your Union leadership. von.

Is your BA Kenny Jones or Danny Barton? Tell them what is happening by filling out the grievance paper work, time stamp it & hand it to your BA & or Steward. You DO NOT need permission to file a grievance from anyone. Once you hand them the time stamped grievance they can not ignore it. Tell them before you file? They might want to talk you out of it. If this is going on, your Steward already knows what is happening. That in itself says a lot about your Union leadership. von.
Its been filed many times
and many ways. They are allowed by contract as long as all laid of are offered work first.

Its been filed many times
and many ways. They are allowed by contract as long as all laid of are offered work first.

If laid off employees are offered work & refuse it then I have no sympathy for them. They obviously don't want their job. I saw coworkers give work away to contractors because they did not want to do the specific job but cried when they were later laid off & the contractor was still doing the work they turned down. It was always my position to never turn down work unless it was not safe to do it. If it is not safe then a grievance & a call to OSHA would correct the problem.

If laid off employees are offered work & refuse it then I have no sympathy for them. They obviously don't want their job. I saw coworkers give work away to contractors because they did not want to do the specific job but cried when they were later laid off & the contractor was still doing the work they turned down. It was always my position to never turn down work unless it was not safe to do it. If it is not safe then a grievance & a call to OSHA would correct the problem.
They only turn it down because they have interim jobs and don't want to quit those for just a couple days of work. Cant blame them.
If it were up to me we would have language in the contract to prevent this situation. Like "No using outside contractors for anything while members are on layoff status" but then you have the problem of sitting percenters at home while not laid off and they can't even go get a job like happened earlier this year.

They only turn it down because they have interim jobs and don't want to quit those for just a couple days of work. Cant blame them.
If it were up to me we would have language in the contract to prevent this situation. Like "No using outside contractors for anything while members are on layoff status" but then you have the problem of sitting percenters at home while not laid off and they can't even go get a job like happened earlier this year.

We got language in our Supplement that says if the company doesn’t work you for 7 days,....then you can put yourself on layoff status,.....and the company has to offer you a full weeks worth of work before you have to return. Of course, they can use casuals up to 4 days a week,....and you can rescind at any time.
Outside contractors? .......Our terminal never accepted any sort of inter line agreement,...in spite of their begging the Union to do so...
Must be agreed to by both parties.....

Other terminals in our area have interline agreements that stand outside of whether or not guys are laid off....
New language allows for outside contractors if everyone is....fully employed...

Merry Christmas Gentlemen!

We had guys on layoff offered a days dock work, if they worked (one) day, it knocked them out of their unemployment check, can't blame them for not accepting.
It got better in later years when union companies were required to offer work to any laidoff union workers first.

We got language in our Supplement that says if the company doesn’t work you for 7 days,....then you can put yourself on layoff status,.....and the company has to offer you a full weeks worth of work before you have to return. Of course, they can use casuals up to 4 days a week,....and you can rescind at any time.
Outside contractors? .......Our terminal never accepted any sort of inter line agreement,...in spite of their begging the Union to do so...
Must be agreed to by both parties.....

Other terminals in our area have interline agreements that stand outside of whether or not guys are laid off....
New language allows for outside contractors if everyone is....fully employed...

Merry Christmas Gentlemen!
All our guy's on call have to do is call in the morning, if they can't give you a start time your free to find work elsewhere, nobody ever does but they can....

Such a weak part of our contract, a guy is laid off but yet is offered work, obligated for the week? No other industry does this. Under current language and rules, nothing wrong with contracted companies coming in.. Sad day when non union contracted work takes precedence over our Union guy.. Contract labor has no commitment or guarantees... joke

Any Shop Steward that doesn’t follow through with the grievance procedure, shouldn’t BE a Shop Steward. I had a similar problem at my ABF barn. The whole time I worked there, our ‘shop steward’ (in name only) never filed one grievance. Not ONE!...despite numerous violations of contract language (seniority recognition, in particular). Finally, after numerous attempts to get the ball rolling, I went over his head directly to our BA. Boy, was he ever pissed that I did that!! Actually met me out in the parking lot as I arrived at work (BEFORE I clocked in) and chewed my ass for going over his head. What balls on this fool. I told him: “Do your damn job as our steward and I won’t HAVE to go over your head!” From then on, I was marked. I finally retired, but it was a long several years working with that crackpot.

Any Shop Steward that doesn’t follow through with the grievance procedure, shouldn’t BE a Shop Steward. I had a similar problem at my ABF barn. The whole time I worked there, our ‘shop steward’ (in name only) never filed one grievance. Not ONE!...despite numerous violations of contract language (seniority recognition, in particular). Finally, after numerous attempts to get the ball rolling, I went over his head directly to our BA. Boy, was he ever pissed that I did that!! Actually met me out in the parking lot as I arrived at work (BEFORE I clocked in) and chewed my ass for going over his head. What balls on this fool. I told him: “Do your damn job as our steward and I won’t HAVE to go over your head!” From then on, I was marked. I finally retired, but it was a long several years working with that crackpot.

I never had a problem with someone filing on anything they wanted. I was asked several times to file when there was no contract violation. I always told them to file it, we can win a grievance but not a gripe. Any dues paying Teamster has a right to file whether the steward or local approves or not. The steward should not have been upset that you filed.

I never had a problem with someone filing on anything they wanted. I was asked several times to file when there was no contract violation. I always told them to file it, we can win a grievance but not a gripe. Any dues paying Teamster has a right to file whether the steward or local approves or not. The steward should not have been upset that you filed.
What you described is how it SHOULD work. Not so at my old terminal. This guy was/is on a years-long power trip. Was only interested in the title, not doing the work associated WITH the title. And to top things off, he was the most-senior guy, AND assigned our routes in the morning. Gave himself the gravy routes all the time. Had all the makings of a self-serving bastard. I have no respect for him whatsoever.

I assumed they were being called back for more than a few hours work. If you are laid off & have another job to support your family till you are called back from layoff I understand. I think most contracts allow a laid off employee two weeks to come back for full time work. I was laid off several times & always worked other jobs till I was called back.

No has nothing with not wanting our job. Unemployment was denied bc an ops manager filed that work was refused for 3 weeks when none was offered. Sorry about you but I have Bill's to pay and cant play this when I dont work I dont get paid game. I would much rather be working for abf but I need insurance for my kids and to pay my Bill's and cant play this call thursday afternoon to off work friday morning b.s.

Absolutely! The problem I had was, after listening to a guy complain,..and determining he had a legitimate beef,...was getting him to FILE a grievance. Several times I had to file a grievance.....not naming the Grievant,..but filing on his behalf, for the good of the guys on the seniority list.
Some guys would work themselves into a lather,...and then when I pulled out the paper,.....waffled and said; "Never mind,..it don't matter....."

I must've forgot and worn my Priest's Collar those days......

What you described is how it SHOULD work. Not so at my old terminal. This guy was/is on a years-long power trip. Was only interested in the title, not doing the work associated WITH the title. And to top things off, he was the most-senior guy, AND assigned our routes in the morning. Gave himself the gravy routes all the time. Had all the makings of a self-serving bastard. I have no respect for him whatsoever.

The "Title"?......Good Grief!....As I said above,....some guys regarded you as a personal sounding board to blow off steam,...some hated you because you told them things like: "We can file a grievance, but NOT a Gripe..."
And,...of course,....the company painted a big Bullseye on your back........and the Union chewed you out for taking "controversial" stances.....

(....and my barn was too small for me to get my dues paid,...like they did in the ..Big Barns...)

Glory and Honor and Titles?...........Yeah,....when I wear my Steward's Cape with the Big "S" on the chest,...and the bigger Target on the back.......

Your Gentleman was a Steward alright.........He was Management's Personal Steward.......on a Leash......

No has nothing with not wanting our job. Unemployment was denied bc an ops manager filed that work was refused for 3 weeks when none was offered. Sorry about you but I have Bill's to pay and cant play this when I dont work I dont get paid game. I would much rather be working for abf but I need insurance for my kids and to pay my Bill's and cant play this call thursday afternoon to off work friday morning b.s.

And that is a problem.......not having any sort of management accountability.........and the potential to mess up a young families' income.
The steward should've pulled timecards and worksheets for those weeks,...and tried to help you prove your case that...no work was offered.
As long as the trucking industry plays the "85%" guarantee game,.....this will always happen.....And trucking seems to be the only major industry where 15% of it's...."employees".....work on the whim of the managers.

If you get hired as an electrician/plumber/steel worker...........you're hired,...with health care. Or you can work "casual" for years in the trucking industry.......with no benefits.....and no schedule......and no start times.......

Possible reason it's getting hard to find truck drivers?

Absolutely! The problem I had was, after listening to a guy complain,..and determining he had a legitimate beef,...was getting him to FILE a grievance. Several times I had to file a grievance.....not naming the Grievant,..but filing on his behalf, for the good of the guys on the seniority list.
Some guys would work themselves into a lather,...and then when I pulled out the paper,.....waffled and said; "Never mind,..it don't matter....."

I must've forgot and worn my Priest's Collar those days......

The "Title"?......Good Grief!....As I said above,....some guys regarded you as a personal sounding board to blow off steam,...some hated you because you told them things like: "We can file a grievance, but NOT a Gripe..."
And,...of course,....the company painted a big Bullseye on your back........and the Union chewed you out for taking "controversial" stances.....

(....and my barn was too small for me to get my dues paid,...like they did in the ..Big Barns...)

Glory and Honor and Titles?...........Yeah,....when I wear my Steward's Cape with the Big "S" on the chest,...and the bigger Target on the back.......

Your Gentleman was a Steward alright.........He was Management's Personal Steward.......on a Leash......
Precisely. It got kinda comical after a while...watching how much he was in ‘lock-step’ with our TM.