ABF | Contract Poll

I really don't want to go through this in another 2 or 3 years. I also do not want to align with YRC at this time. Part of a 5 year contract would need to include a windfall profit clause to increase our compensation if the company begins to make excessive profits. Amounts or percentages could be spelled out in the language of the contract. Maybe it could be part of the same formula that they use for executive compensation and bonuses. I just hope it doesn't end up like our government, in a stalemate unable to do anything at all. If we don't have something concrete by the beginning of March the vultures will be swooping in quickly. Once that Freight is on someone else's truck it will be hard to get back.

I dont want any of their profit sharing if they have a windfall ( like that would ever happen ). I just want to earn a decent living. I want to keep my pay and they can keep theirs. Even though they get bigger increases every year than I do.

Hah!...Brother ABFer....I think you're right about the "meestering"..And I know you're right about the unfunded liability, and the Pension Reform Act of 2006. Way too expensive to exit Funds that are in trouble. Maybe a 3 year deal might be best. If we get a reasonably good contract, I'd think 3 years would be the limit. Not sure about YRC and dissolving the NMFA. ABF management and sales is in competition with YRC management and sales......us Teamsters aren't supposed to be in competition with each other.....but I guess our management wants to "enlist" us in the freight wars. ABF has wanted a separate contract for the last 5 or 6 years, now......I guess they're finally getting what they proposed to do last contract negotiation time. I still think "NO CONCESSIONS". When the company says we have the highest cost structure and pay and pension costs, it's because everyone else gave away or negotiated....or, in the case of the non-Unions.....accepted..cheaper wages and cut-rate pensions. The entire industries' labor costs used to be predicated on the NMFA...the labor costs set the benchmark for freight rates. Now that everyone else is giving up their labor rates and wages are dropping, are freight rates dropping? Maybe, in some instances...but I don't see across-the-board freight rates cut like I'm seeing across-the-board wage and pension cuts proposed. Do you think that will happen, or do you think we'll cut our wages and the company will reap a little bit of a "windfall", because they won't be in that big of a hurry to cut all their freight rates?
Actually most everyone has taken one or two rate increases in the last year. Union and Non both.

Ypu forgot EU driver & yes he must have a big family beacuse every barn seens to have one....lol
Noooo I didn't forget nothin' mine isn't UE but he has all the other 'qualities'.