ABF | Contract proposal

Not a good start! A little over an hour ago on TJC10's Facebook page. Tough to read you'll need your 200/250's. I wonder what part of the agreement ABF and Hoffa sweetened up to think something like this would pass?
Ut2xEVr.jpg
FINALLY someone with some BALLS to utter the ‘R’ word (reject)! I don’t personally know Mr. O’Brien, but hats off to him and JC 10 for strongly recommending a big, fat N-O to this disgraceful offer.

FINALLY someone with some BALLS to utter the ‘R’ word (reject)! I don’t personally know Mr. O’Brien, but hats off to him and JC 10 for strongly recommending a big, fat N-O to this disgraceful offer.

Let's just hope all the ABF Teamsters will be listening!

Just a thought..I could here be wrong but lets say the ABF negotiations team puts together a proposal with a raise and the weeks vacation returned but no pension contribution. Team Hoffa "why would we want that?" ABF - Well you tried to reduce the pension once already and were rebuffed, this way here you could reduce it for ABF Teamsters across the board. No Government interference on reductions because....yes you guessed it! We voted for it. All that being said I think all ABF wants is some reduction in the pension contribution percentage. Half would be great for them so they throw this out knowing it wont pass (hopefully) and get 4,5,6% on the next proposal and then some Teamsters feel like they've won. Like the chatter at every ABF terminal past few weeks how do you go from Impasse...Loggerheads...no progress to 10 days later...hey guys we got your contract right here!:crap: This must be non-negotiable!

One quick question, has freight picked up at any other terminals in the system? They announced a tentative agreement any we have freight falling off of the dock down here, funny how that works.

One quick question, has freight picked up at any other terminals in the system? They announced a tentative agreement any we have freight falling off of the dock down here, funny how that works.
Freight has picked up in Atlanta but it seems to be coming/going to the northeast. I'm wandering if the recent snow storms are the cause?

Could be the normal end of the month/end of the quarter ‘crush’ that we always see. After the details of the ‘agreement’ are released and subsequently voted down, then we’ll see what happens, and how much freight begins ‘falling’ into other carriers’ trailers.

Could be the normal end of the month/end of the quarter ‘crush’ that we always see. After the details of the ‘agreement’ are released and subsequently voted down, then we’ll see what happens, and how much freight begins ‘falling’ into other carriers’ trailers.
I'm still trying to remain optimistic about the agreement. It may be a good contract. I really wish both sides would quit treating us like children who will not understand until it is explained to us.

I'm trying not to get the 'vote no' attitude until after I read the contract. It is hard when the groups who want us to 'vote yes' won't let us read it, It is hard to remain undecided when treated like children; when both groups say 'you can't read it because you won't understand it,'

I'm trying not to get the 'vote no' attitude until after I read the contract. It is hard when the groups who want us to 'vote yes' won't let us read it, It is hard to remain undecided when treated like children; when both groups say 'you can't read it because you won't understand it,'
While I agree that it's a good idea to see the contract in writing to give a final yes or no, seeing this pension freeze in my mind is a dealbreaker. I can't imagine what they could add to the contract to change my mind. I've heard from brothers already it won't affect me,I have to work till 64 anyhow,got in late or that's 25-30 yrs away for me! Well it will affect you #1 being for example 3 men retiring in the next 6-12 months at our barn (less than 25) who will now be working 2-? many more years. That scenario will be happening at nearly every barn. If you are a bottom of list guy there won't be much movement in the next 5 years. Hold off on that new truck...house etc. #2 being do you really think at the end of 5 years ABF simply will resume the 8% increase? Unlikely that they will be in a much better financial situation than right now.

While I agree that it's a good idea to see the contract in writing to give a final yes or no, seeing this pension freeze in my mind is a dealbreaker. I can't imagine what they could add to the contract to change my mind. I've heard from brothers already it won't affect me,I have to work till 64 anyhow,got in late or that's 25-30 yrs away for me! Well it will affect you #1 being for example 3 men retiring in the next 6-12 months at our barn (less than 25) who will now be working 2-? many more years. That scenario will be happening at nearly every barn. If you are a bottom of list guy there won't be much movement in the next 5 years. Hold off on that new truck...house etc. #2 being do you really think at the end of 5 years ABF simply will resume the 8% increase? Unlikely that they will be in a much better financial situation than right now.

Believe it or not... I have already heard firsthand... and a Steward of all people... make the remark... "yes... but do you know how much their pension is up there". Just how sad is that?

Sean O'Brien's post 3 hrs ago. On Thursday the Central States Pension Fund held the latest in a series of meetings regarding the coming pension crisis. Local union leaders from across the country listened as officials from Central States laid out the disaster facing the plan and the Teamsters union. The presentation was clear, cold and cruel: Central States is hemorrhaging money and if nothing is done it will be in default by 2026. And if Central States fails, employers, local unions and other pension plans around the nation are going to be dragged down with it.

Once the straight talk was done, General President Jim Hoffa stood up. Hoffa thumped his chest about how he would never allow cuts to save the pension plan. It was his best performance in ages. He almost sounded like a union leader, but as the words were coming out Hoffa’s mouth his PR machine in DC was preparing to sell the contract that guts ABF Teamster pensions.

Reports are that the agreement between the International and ABF would allow the company to freeze its pension contributions. It’s probably one of the reasons why Hoffa has put an information freeze on the proposed contract.

So what happens if ABF is allowed to freeze its contributions to the New England Plan? If the company doesn’t adhere to the mandated increases, their inaction will push ABF members into the “default schedule” and result in future benefit accruals being reduced by 60 percent. Additionally, all of the early retirement options will be eliminated and disability pensions for those under 64 will be gone.

Folks, this is a pension cut. Hoffa’s contract is a disaster for New England ABF Teamsters. What’s even crazier is that at no point was the New England Plan contacted.

We all know Hoffa doesn’t really negotiate contracts. He waits until the negotiations are finished, shows up with his photographer and inks the paper. It’s par for the course because our 78-year old leader barely bothers to show up for work these days. Still, Hoffa is responsible for the contract. He’s the boss. He wears the jacket. So while he’s touring the country thumping his chest about never cutting pensions, he’s destroying New England ABF Teamster retirements.

Last edited: