ABF | COO

I have heard of drivers living in Wisconsin and driving out of South Chicago. One had been a yellow employee and just wanted to get two more years paid into the pension then retire. In some areas there are drivers that live 50 plus miles from the terminal and with gasoline on its way to $5.00 not everyone wants to make the trip twice between home and work.
There is no "one size fits all" in trucking. Some want to be home every day, some want to be out a couple (or more) days for reasons like you mention. Hopefully everyone can find their own niche.

We are having high turnover of new drivers. I am hearing fewer than 50% last 12 months. Waiting 4 to 8 years to get a bid is not going to get new drivers to keep the job until they can get a bid. Getting rid of lay down bids mean we will be losing senior drivers.

I don’t understand your post , there are drivers who like lay downs, also there are drivers like me who like to be home daily. I disagree, most of the senior drivers have bids that want them. My personal preference is to be home daily. I have a family at home, motels and campers are not my thing. I don’t never move for anyone or company.

Nothing about a change of operations in 086.
Nothing about a COO at 089 either, but from what Ive seen and heard we’re getting a lot more directs from other places now due to late freight. We have one UE but if this is to be believed, it’s going to put our dock further into craziness. We already have a hell of a time getting our stuff out with our 32 folks.

I don’t understand your post , there are drivers who like lay downs, also there are drivers like me who like to be home daily. I disagree, most of the senior drivers have bids that want them. My personal preference is to be home daily. I have a family at home, motels and campers are not my thing. I don’t never move for anyone or company.
I think turn runs make a lot of sense now since the IRS has done away with allowing road expense to be deducted from gross adjusted income. Turn drivers can brown-bag their runs and be home more. Road expense was a PITA to keep records on, but it made a huge difference in taxes owed at the end of the year. Now there's no tax advantage And then there's the bed bugs.... That became a big issue for me toward the end. I remember roaming around Portland and Seattle on layovers in places I wouldn't go now without a marine corp fire team. It's a different country, maybe turns aren't so bad. The constant abuse of the 14 hr rule on layover got to be a hassle too. That ends with turns as well... Your wage average per hours away from home will be significantly better.

Last edited:
since the IRS has done away with allowing road expense to be deducted from gross adjusted income.
Not true. Under the old rules you needed to have more than $12,000 in deductible expenses in order for itemizing to work in your favor. With less than $12,000 you simply took the standard exemption of $12,000. Now the standard deduction is $24,000 so you would need more than $24,000 in order to itemize. If you have less than $24,000 then you just simply take the standard deduction of $24,000

Not true. Under the old rules you needed to have more than $12,000 in deductible expenses in order for itemizing to work in your favor. With less than $12,000 you simply took the standard exemption of $12,000. Now the standard deduction is $24,000 so you would need more than $24,000 in order to itemize. If you have less than $24,000 then you just simply take the standard deduction of $24,000
yes, that is true. but my point was that everyone gets the same standard deduction now, even the people who work from home. All the money you spend in road expenses are not allowed. And it is a considerable additional living expense that you must spend as opposed to living and eating at home with your family. When I was working, my road expense reduced my fed tax liability considerably. Those 3 martini lunches are really pricey... but perhaps the worst was the abuse of the 14 hr rule on layovers. it was really bad at end of line terminals. you would get in in the morning with their inbound freight and would lay until night waiting for their outbound. dispatch was good at calling you on 11.75 hrs and giving you a 2 hr showup so you just missed the 2 hr retroactive pay on your 14th hour. and by the time you left, you had been up 6-8 hrs and were tired again... and turns should do away with roll-on rest dispatches for 5-6 days out. everyone has a different situation, but turns would look good to me now if I was still working out here in the NW. once you clock in, you are paid until you get home again, except for your break. no abuse of free time. All the competition has gone to turns a long time ago, except yellow, I believe. and there's something else SW, I can't shake the feeling that I wouldn't want to be that far away from home anymore with the current state of the world...

Last edited:
And it saves the company money as well... I remember Tim Thorne saying at our safety meeting in Ontario when he was President that he wrote a $250,000 check every month for motels. IFIRC... But it will take a change in how they run freight. They will have to close trailers to meet scheduled departures instead of waitng until they are full so the TM can keep his load count averages up for his bonuses.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. Did anyone see Judy on Jim Cramer's Mad Money on CNBC Friday night?

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. Did anyone see Judy on Jim Cramer's Mad Money on CNBC Friday night?
Yes I did. But I think the mart crash that is coming will hurt a lot of the mom and pop o/o companies. That will let the bigger companies charge what they want with less companies providing service and with the government pushing for speed limiters and overtime pay after 40 hours which will pinch a lot more companies.

When they increased the threshold for itemizing they really decreased the cheaters. Most middle income filers can't come up with enough expenses to justify filling. I know, I was one of them. von.

I seen on another site that they’re talking about a COO to put road drivers in satellite terminals because the breaks can’t get the freight to them in time. Anyone on here hearing this?
ABF doesn’t understand that the pay sucks. (Great if it were 1988 again) The Union is non existent unless to tell you how good you have it.
Fact

Gas is up 300% for starters. Enjoy your penny raise you yes man
You have a legitimate complaint. The last time we voted people here in the west were all excited for the 1000.00 bonus and the trucks were getting turned up to 65. Meanwhile they gave away the 3rd lay point pay. Now we have trucks in the system that will run 70 that's all it will take for the yes men to jump all over it. There's a reason they put them in service in salt lake. One of the floating regional managers brought it up a few weeks ago. She said the company was talking about turning all trucks up to 70 . Watch for it.sad part is you can't run that fast on the west coast anyway.

I've always maintained that if ABF had given me a turn bid at the expected 2-3 years when I started, I'd still be there.