Cool stuff

I had a friend back when I was in the Marine Corps who was into drag racing, and knew a lot about it. So one Saturday him and I rode in his 1971 Volkswagen Beetle from where we were stationed, Beaufort, SC.,to a dragstrip in Vidalia, GA. My friend signed up for bracket drag racing. In bracket drag racing you do a couple of 1/4 mile runs and establish a time. When racing your opponent and he gets to the 1/4 mile finish first but breaks out of his time bracket and you stay within yours, then you win.
So all afternoon it was the same scenario at the starting line. The lights
would come down first for my friend to take off in his yellow Volkswagen Beetle. Off he would go with a little chirp. His opponent in
a hot muscle car would then take off in an explosion, go flying down the 1/4 mile strip and break out of his time bracket ( NO VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE IS GOING TO BEAT ME !!!)
Anyway on the ride back to Beaufort that evening in the little yellow
Volkswagen Beetle it was me, my friend and the drag racing trophy he won that day.

Last edited:
I had a friend back when I was in the Marine Corps who was into drag racing, and knew a lot about it. So one Saturday him and I rode in his 1971 Volkswagen Beetle from where we were stationed, Beaufort, SC.,to a dragstrip in Vidalia, GA. My friend signed up for bracket drag racing. In bracket drag racing you do a couple of 1/4 mile runs and establish a time. When racing your opponent and he gets to the 1/4 mile finish first but breaks out of his time bracket and you stay within yours, then you win.
So all afternoon it was the same scenario at the starting line. The lights
would come down first for my friend to take off in his yellow Volkswagen Beetle. Off he would go with a little chirp. His opponent in
a hot muscle car would then take off in an explosion, go flying down the 1/4 mile strip and break out of his time bracket ( NO VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE IS GOING TO BEAT ME !!!)
Anyway on the ride back to Beaufort that evening in the little yellow
Volkswagen Beetle it was me, my friend and the drag racing trophy he won that day.
Mud, I didn't know you had been exposed to Ga culture, we may have crossed paths in the Ga, boondocks.

Hopefully, they have a vaccine for that Georgia culture variant as well. LOL!!!
They already have a cure for the Arkansas culture variant where I am. Moonshine!
When we donate blood here in the Carolinas they always give you a shot of shine.
My cousin donated last week, they gave him a shot of blood.
The lady said he had a trace of blood in his alcohol system.

Nope, I was in Savannah just long enough for a drop & hook on a via.
I arrived in Beaufort SC. in mid 1970. I-95 wasn't there yet. The drive from Beaufort to Savannah was mostly along two lane US 17. Along
parts of US 17 on both sides of the road, it was like the trees and their hanging Spanish moss would come together above the highway. It was like driving for miles through a tunnel. And during the drive you would see old, old homes set back from the highway with their wringer washing machine set up on the covered front porch.

Last edited:
18th Birthday

Ian had long heard the stories of an amazing family tradition.It seems that his father, grandfather and great-grandfather had
all been able to walk on water on their 18th birthday. On that
special day, they'd each walked across the lake to the pub on
the far side for their first legal drink.

So when Ian's 18th birthday came around, he and his pal Jim
took a boat out to the middle of the lake, Ian, stepped out
of the boat... And nearly drowned!

Jim just barely managed to pull him to safety.

Furious and confused, Ian went to see his grandmother . "Grandma,"
he asked, "Tis me 18th birthday, so why can't I walk across
the lake like me father, his father and his father before
him?"

Granny looked deeply into Ian's, troubled blue eyes and said,
"Because ye father, ye grandfather and ye great-grandfather
were all born in December, when the lake is frozen, and ye were born in August, ya fookin idiot!"