Cool vehicles

k2xngE7.jpg

I was 15 years old in 1966, growing up in a suburb of Detroit and listening to CKLW and Detroit Dragway.

The local rock station back then was KAAY, Little Rock. It was a 50,000 watt AM, 'The mighty 1090'. It also advertised the local strip, Carlisle Dragoway, 'Be there Sunday-Sunday-Sunday'.
I could often pick up WLS, Chicago down here. That station advertised Oswego & US 30 drag strips. I went to both when I was TDY in Illinois. Once nitro gets in your veins it never goes away.

The local rock station back then was KAAY, Little Rock. It was a 50,000 watt AM, 'The mighty 1090'. It also advertised the local strip, Carlisle Dragoway, 'Be there Sunday-Sunday-Sunday'.
I could often pick up WLS, Chicago down here. That station advertised Oswego & US 30 drag strips. I went to both when I was TDY in Illinois. Once nitro gets in your veins it never goes away.

Back in the late 50s, we ruled the roost at Chester S C strip,until the guys from Columbus O. brought down 2 blown Nomad Chevys.
They ran the quarter in the low 9s, we had gas dragsters that couldn't do that.
Big Daddy Don Garlits was top fuel at 160, they run twice that today in 1000'

Back in the late 50s, we ruled the roost at Chester S C strip,until the guys from Columbus O. brought down 2 blown Nomad Chevys.
They ran the quarter in the low 9s, we had gas dragsters that couldn't do that.
Big Daddy Don Garlits was top fuel at 160, they run twice that today in 1000'

Before turbocharger development the word was, go blown or go home. Turbochargers today don't have the lag they did back then. I couldn't afford a blower engine so I ran what I had.