Couple of News Reports

millstone coffee

Fair Trade Alert of the Week:
Tell Millstone Coffee: Unfair Trade is Rotten!

Millstone Coffee has multiple lines of organic and fair trade coffee, but it is currently using a rogue company called Oak Harbor Freight Lines as its distribution hub in the Seattle area. Oak Harbor Freight Lines workers in Oregon, Washington and Idaho have been on strike for four months now in protest of the freight company's violations of U.S. labor laws, as well as hostile efforts by the company to intimidate workers. Oak Harbor even cut off health benefits to its retirees.

Take action

Hello, I was wondering why Millstone is continuing to use Oak Harbor Freight Lines in the Pacific NW for their LTL shipping.

Over 600 employees have been on strike with Oak Harbor over multiple Unfair Labor Practices. The National Labor Relations Board has found merit with most of these ULP charges, and will be taking Oak Harbor to trial very soon.

In the meantime, these 600 employees and their families, many of whom drink Millstone products, are standing out in the cold. We want to know why you would continue to use a carrier that is obviously flaunting the law and treating their employees so poorly?

We ask that you use another carrier until the strike has been resolved, or we will ask everyone we know, family and friends, to stop using Millstone products and to contact Millstone with e-mails and letters supporting these striking employees.

This will turn into a public relations fiasco of immense proportions if you continue to use Oak Harbor, and given the state of the economy, I hardly think it is worth it for Millstone to risk their reputation and market share on such a disreputable carrier.

Please, for the sake of our families, stop using Oak Harbor Freight Lines for the duration of the labor dispute.

Millstone Coffee E-Mail Contact Form

Hello, I was wondering why Millstone is continuing to use Oak Harbor Freight Lines in the Pacific NW for their LTL shipping.

Over 600 employees have been on strike with Oak Harbor over multiple Unfair Labor Practices. The National Labor Relations Board has found merit with most of these ULP charges, and will be taking Oak Harbor to trial very soon.

In the meantime, these 600 employees and their families, many of whom drink Millstone products, are standing out in the cold. We want to know why you would continue to use a carrier that is obviously flaunting the law and treating their employees so poorly?

We ask that you use another carrier until the strike has been resolved, or we will ask everyone we know, family and friends, to stop using Millstone products and to contact Millstone with e-mails and letters supporting these striking employees.

This will turn into a public relations fiasco of immense proportions if you continue to use Oak Harbor, and given the state of the economy, I hardly think it is worth it for Millstone to risk their reputation and market share on such a disreputable carrier.

Please, for the sake of our families, stop using Oak Harbor Freight Lines for the duration of the labor dispute.

Millstone Coffee E-Mail Contact Form

George, that is a direct threat. You should supply the NLRB with this letter.

Not trying to bother you with name dropping. I just know who you are, is that a problem? Also I do not care if you are shaking in your boots or what you shake. I was making a point about your direst threat. Have the guts to step up, sign your letter, submit to the NLRB,

Lack comprehension?

Not trying to bother you with name dropping. I just know who you are, is that a problem? Also I do not care if you are shaking in your boots or what you shake. I was making a point about your direst threat. Have the guts to step up, sign your letter, submit to the NLRB,
Your blathering is making no sense. Why would the NLRB be interested in Millstone using Oak? How could the statement/letter that Shifter posted have anything to do with the NLRB and the pending case against Oak? Could you give a quote from the letter that has anything to do with ULP's that has bearing on the case of Oak Harbor? Would you point out what is the "direct threat" that you refer to?

The only thing that is shaking is everyone's head in disbelief of the moronic statement that you have made.

Ed, The wooden shoes have dry rot.

That has to be about the most retarded thing I have read ever. Do you suppose you are some kind of labor lawyer? An anonymous posting, on a public forum, can in no way be compared to threats posted by the company through official channels or mailed to employees homes. Anyone can say anything here, it has absolutely no relevance to the NLRB nor should it that idea that you think it would or should only serves to solidify any doubts one could possibly have about your judgment.

I guess he belongs to the same group who believe individuals shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions freely, and boycott a business with whom they have a conflict of interest with.

It's without a doubt the same group Davey-boy and Li'l Eddy belong to...

You know... fascists.

It is really about all the postings I have seen go to OHFL customers. There has been less than 1 oz of truth in anything said by those or in here. Seek the truth. You have yet to tell it. A lawyer, no and would not care to be. Just a working man.

I would admit that I have read some leaflets that lack tact, and also contain erroneous information whether they intended to mislead or made honest mistakes is subject to speculation. For fun lets say they are intentional. So one person who lost their job has a printer or an internet connection, so what?

Official information from credible sources such as Teamsters Local 174's website or Teamster.org are usually very accurate.

The bigger issue here is Union Busting, Surface Bargaining, mistreatment and mis-information, that is a direct communication from the employer to employee, this company has admitted to some of these accusations already. I think the common consensus, even among some of the non-union employees caught in the crossfire is the company did violate the law, they went into negotiations with the intention of never bargaining fairly. Now the NLRB has reaffirmed the unions position and is now prosecuting Oak Harbor in federal court. I think in the end the company will close, rather than be forced to rehire strikers. The owners have been arrogant and dismissive, they have failed to attempt to resolve issues, they have avoided meeting with the union, in the process they have shattered lives, and decimated honest hard working people, that is the truth.

You ought to slow up on the the name dropping, unless you are willing to reveal yourself its a public board, and personal choice if someone wants to be recognized by name.

This is probably the best post I have seen because you spoke of your true feelings. I do not agree with all of it but obviously we do not agree on everything. Thats ok! Trust me I hope the best for all of us. I have as it was said early on by the company, I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Name dropping, yea I get it.

Want to see a company lie? Go to oakhanswers.com under "negotiations" read the latest update 1/5/09. Underlined and in bold they state "The Teamsters have withdrawn all but the below three issues" later in this same post they state "Oak Harbor has 30 Terminals and charges have been made only against the Auburn Terminal"

Now go to My NLRB -regional office cases tab -ULP case -type in Oak Harbor Freight then look for case 19-CA-31597-001, case status pending investigation, not withdrawn or closed and includes all affected locals.

Want to see a company lie? Go to oakhanswers.com under "negotiations" read the latest update 1/5/09. Underlined and in bold they state "The Teamsters have withdrawn all but the below three issues" later in this same post they state "Oak Harbor has 30 Terminals and charges have been made only against the Auburn Terminal"

Now go to My NLRB -regional office cases tab -ULP case -type in Oak Harbor Freight then look for case 19-CA-31597-001, case status pending investigation, not withdrawn or closed and includes all affected locals.

Ohfl thinks they can wash away a couple of ULP charges. Lets hope the bad faith bargening stands. Of course theor message says that they are still negotiating with the union. Has anyone heard of new talks? Has the company and Union met since last October? If not, then how has progress been made? I guess I am just a dumb truck driver and not as smart as the VP's:guiness: