Crane falls on Tappan Zee Bridge; all lanes in both directions closed

Triplex

Experienced stalker
PREMIUM
Credits
A crane collapsed onto the Tappan Zee Bridge and shut down the span this afternoon.

The crane reportedly fell onto a car on the bridge around noon, South Nyack-Grand View police Chief Brent Newbury said. State police said all lanes on the bridge were closed in both directions.

Newbury said he expects "a traffic nightmare." Rockland County Executive Ed Day said county emergency services were on their way to the scene, and that some first responders from Westchester County were en route as well.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...n-zee-bridge-both-directions-closed/87290604/

Newbury said he expects "a traffic nightmare."
A traffic nightmare is an understatement up there on a good day. I do not think that there is sufficient verbiage to describe the experience. I can't imagine that being part of one's daily routine.

A traffic nightmare is an understatement up there on a good day. I do not think that there is sufficient verbiage to describe the experience. I can't imagine that being part of one's daily routine.

I'm on that Bridge every M-F @ approx. 20:45.
I was wondering when there was going to be a Construction tragedy. That Crane is gigantic, it fell from the new Bridge across both N&S bound lanes of the old bridge, and they are not right next to each other !

I'm on that Bridge every M-F @ approx. 20:45.
I was wondering when there was going to be a Construction tragedy. That Crane is gigantic, it fell from the new Bridge across both N&S bound lanes of the old bridge, and they are not right next to each other !
Those huge cranes always impress me. Imagine the one(s) that erect those TV and radio antenna towers. I have been told by the crews that build them that the crane is always taller than the structure being erected. I can't imagine a crane that tall. They also say that they cost $20,000 to $30,000 per day and that they do not sit for one second longer than they have to. There is bridge work going on here in my 'hood and every once in a while two huge cranes appear overnight for beam installation and are gone the next day.