FedEx Freight | Cutting O.T.

IrishRocket

TB Lurker
Credits
Are all terminals trying to hire so many city drivers that they are trying to cut all the o.t? Our place has 65-70. Just brough it 6-10 more and want a total of 25-30 new hire/apprentices. Move of our bottom drivers barely get their hours as it is. What's the point of cutting nearly 1,400 customers and hiring nearly 30 more city drivers? Either they have big plans they aren't telling us or they only want us to work 7 hours so we'll quit and go to the road or somewhere else. Any thoughts?

Are all terminals trying to hire so many city drivers that they are trying to cut all the o.t? Our place has 65-70. Just brough it 6-10 more and want a total of 25-30 new hire/apprentices. Move of our bottom drivers barely get their hours as it is. What's the point of cutting nearly 1,400 customers and hiring nearly 30 more city drivers? Either they have big plans they aren't telling us or they only want us to work 7 hours so we'll quit and go to the road or somewhere else. Any thoughts?
My terminal is crazy busy. Basically been able to work as many hours as Ive wanted forever

Thats the fedex way. My terminal has a history of over highering, running 4-10s, and using bottom drivers as dock help that is lucky to get 36 hours. Then people get sick of it, leave, then the hours come back and the highering process repeats.

My terminal is crazy busy. Basically been able to work as many hours as Ive wanted forever
We aren't as busy as normal. Last few new hires barely get 8 now they want 25 more. Normally we have to rush to get done at 12 hours. Now they want us at less than 9.

Thats the fedex way. My terminal has a history of over highering, running 4-10s, and using bottom drivers as dock help that is lucky to get 36 hours. Then people get sick of it, leave, then the hours come back and the highering process repeats.

Thats the fedex way. My terminal has a history of over highering, running 4-10s, and using bottom drivers as dock help that is lucky to get 36 hours. Then people get sick of it, leave, then the hours come back and the

Sounds sort of like our place was. We normally have 10 4-10 bids. They did away with them because we were so busy. Problem is when they use the 4-10 bid they hire 10 drivers to replace the ones off daily then put them 10 on the dock when it slows down

23 years at my terminal and under normal conditions it’s been a 45 and hour a week job. We haven’t been under normal conditions for a while.

17 years. Been 55-60 week for several years. Only a few of us bust our ass to get ::shit:: done and they know which ones of us do. Most drivers are 45-50. Now all of a sudden o.t. is a mortal sin and they want to cut as many as they can. If they cut too much I'm gonna be finding another terminal or as much as I'd hate to give up 17 years I may look into other carriers

You sure we don't work at the same end of line terminal?? Lol. That's been our story for years.

You sure we don't work at the same end of line terminal?? Lol. That's been our story for years.
Lol. Strong possibility. The newbies are saying they were hired in as day city drivers and they'd have a 9am start. Then get pissed when we said good luck with that and that we have guys that's been here 4 & 5 years and can't get 9am start.

I think the question you gotta ask yourself is where are they going to find 25-30 people? My xpo barn has wanted to hire 10+ drivers and 35 dock workers for well over a year and go ahead and ask me how that's worked out. I'd like to find a winning lottery ticket too but that just isn't very likely. I don't think any company wants to pay OT so I'm not really sure why it comes as a surprise they'd want to cut it as much as possible.

I think the question you gotta ask yourself is where are they going to find 25-30 people? My xpo barn has wanted to hire 10+ drivers and 35 dock workers for well over a year and go ahead and ask me how that's worked out. I'd like to find a winning lottery ticket too but that just isn't very likely. I don't think any company wants to pay OT so I'm not really sure why it comes as a surprise they'd want to cut it as much as possible.
We've had nearly 15 new hire and apprentices in less than 2 weeks

FedEx seems to always set up a reserve of drivers for the Exodus that happens periodically. In the last 3 or 4 months, my barn has had about 8 drivers transfer or quit and the bottom guy has been the bottom guy for 2 years. He's moved up, but nobody under him. We're short (for a full roster, not work) about 20 city drivers and 15 road drivers.

FedEx seems to always set up a reserve of drivers for the Exodus that happens periodically. In the last 3 or 4 months, my barn has had about 8 drivers transfer or quit and the bottom guy has been the bottom guy for 2 years. He's moved up, but nobody under him. We're short (for a full roster, not work) about 20 city drivers and 15 road drivers.
When they tell us the "plan" numbers for each day. It seems like when we have less drivers we work short days. When we have more drivers we work longer hours. Which it should be the other way around. But our place does the opposite of everything that makes sense to a normal person. Which barns are in need of drivers and allow o.t?

We've had nearly 15 new hire and apprentices in less than 2 weeks
Damn! I didn't know FedEx wasn't part of the typical LTL 8 week hiring process that scares alot of guys away. There must not be a UPS feeder or OD in your market? I swear my XPO barn has 30 ex drivers down the street at OD.

Just out of curiosity do you think your mgmt is feeding these new hires rainbows and sunshine or actually a true glimpse of the new hire LTL lifestyle with dock work no set schedule waiting by the phone working overnight etc.? Have you actually gotten any guys with experience in LTL?

Damn! I didn't know FedEx wasn't part of the typical LTL 8 week hiring process that scares alot of guys away. There must not be a UPS feeder or OD in your market? I swear my XPO barn has 30 ex drivers down the street at OD.

Just out of curiosity do you think your mgmt is feeding these new hires rainbows and sunshine or actually a true glimpse of the new hire LTL lifestyle with dock work no set schedule waiting by the phone working overnight etc.? Have you actually gotten any guys with experience in LTL?
They never tell the new hires they'll be at the bottom of the extra board covering late runs or even road runs. Found out earlier that they want to hire class B drivers to run straight trucks. Also that they are offering the convience days off to the road guys because they don't have work but yet they want to hire 30 more of them. I've been with FXF for 17 years and ALL of our dispatchers and supervisors came from the dock. Never been in a truck other than a ridealong