ABF | d.o.t. recert.

bad slavin

TB Lurker
Credits
Got my d.o.t. recert today. I went to the drivers license center to have it sent out so as not to have it get tied up in the mail ( 22 days before it runs out) . The wonderful lady has advised me that when i renew next year, i will be required to provide my birth certificate and proof of my residence ,like a utility bill. SERIOUSLY !! I did'nt jump thru enough hoops already !! They want proof of where i live ? I'm at the same address for the last 22 years. They know that ! What complete idiot would try to fake being a cdl driver? I'm not new to the industry, check it out ! They have all my info. If they are looking for someone with ill intent,they should know where to look by now !! stop bustin my balls !!!

I retired in 2009 after 36 years as a truck driver, 35 years of it as a Teamster city driver. I've maintained my cdl for the last six years.
When it expires this year, that's it. To many hoops to jump through. And I don't see myself ever driving a commercial vehicle again.

Last edited:
Got my d.o.t. recert today. I went to the drivers license center to have it sent out so as not to have it get tied up in the mail ( 22 days before it runs out) . The wonderful lady has advised me that when i renew next year, i will be required to provide my birth certificate and proof of my residence ,like a utility bill. SERIOUSLY !! I did'nt jump thru enough hoops already !! They want proof of where i live ? I'm at the same address for the last 22 years. They know that ! What complete idiot would try to fake being a cdl driver? I'm not new to the industry, check it out ! They have all my info. If they are looking for someone with ill intent,they should know where to look by now !! stop bustin my balls !!!
Just when you thought there couldn't possibly be any more red tape.

I retired in 2009 after 36 years as a truck driver, 35 years of it as a Teamster city driver. I've maintained my cdl for the last six years.
When it expires this year, that's it. To many hoops to jump through. And I don't see myself ever driving a commercial vehicle again.
Congratulations on your retirement ! This industry is getting worse by the day. It seems like every delivery you go to, the workers have a chip on their shoulder. It's not worth the time for you to wait for them to open the garage door . and then have to wait for them to pull the chain on the dock plate. We would run out of hours if we had to wait at every stop for that. Glad you got to retire. I'm counting the years !! lol.

And JUST when you thought it couldn't get any worse, now Transport Topics is reporting that these bureaucrats want to make all DOT physicals similarly comprehensive to the pilot's physical exam. Good luck with that....

And on your Birth Certificate ,it has to have a RAISED Seal...
Now that's per DHS(Department of Homeland Security)

Congratulations on your retirement ! This industry is getting worse by the day. It seems like every delivery you go to, the workers have a chip on their shoulder. It's not worth the time for you to wait for them to open the garage door . and then have to wait for them to pull the chain on the dock plate. We would run out of hours if we had to wait at every stop for that. Glad you got to retire. I'm counting the years !! lol.
I know what you mean, bad. I'm so overloaded on most days that even if certain stops have an 'unloader' there, I'll just use my pallet jack and pull the freight off the trailer myself to save time..unless its something really ugly. And let's not even discuss the outlandish residential deliveries this company does. And now the required 30-minute break at or before 8 hours! All these new regs will blow the hell out of our 'on-time' delivery numbers.

Keep jumping thru the hoops or do what I did...retire.

Now if you really want to know about the Secure Driver License take a look at
https://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses

Drill into some of the links for your reading pleasure. I think the one at the bottom of the page gives the best information.
https://www.dhs.gov/publication/isc-real-id-guide
And yes, sooner or later all the states will have to fall in and do this. Some are slowly dragging along. After all the ball started rolling on this in 1997.

Keep jumping thru the hoops or do what I did...retire.

Now if you really want to know about the Secure Driver License take a look at
https://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses

Drill into some of the links for your reading pleasure. I think the one at the bottom of the page gives the best information.
https://www.dhs.gov/publication/isc-real-id-guide
And yes, sooner or later all the states will have to fall in and do this. Some are slowly dragging along. After all the ball started rolling on this in 1997.
Would love to retire, only thing is I'm 45 & have bills to pay....

Actually slave, your line about someone trying to fake being a driver? Not pointing fingers at any 1 company, but I see on a daily basis people of foreign origin driving for especially truckload carriers, and a certain large package carrier driving by gps, and cell phone because they cannot read traffic signs or understand English.

and then have to wait for them to pull the chain on the dock plate.
I had one ******* stand there and tell me to insert a heavy portable dock plate by myself while he watched and I refused. If it's too heavy for him to help it's too heavy for me to do it myself. He called in on me and that fat piece of ::shit:: who ::shit:: his pants in Scranton wrote me up for it. What an ******* and what an ******* company for letting it happen.
I'll just use my pallet jack and pull the freight off the trailer myself to save time.
You need to change your attitude. I really like the guys who act like they're trying to help when they're really doing nothing hoping that I'll just do it like you do. I just stand there, go to the bathroom and/or go get a cup of coffee. Any resulting time loss is not my problem and the way the company acts I feel no remorse. They might not set the world on fire but they do figure out that I'm not doing it for them.

Actually slave, your line about someone trying to fake being a driver? Not pointing fingers at any 1 company, but I see on a daily basis people of foreign origin driving for especially truckload carriers, and a certain large package carrier driving by gps, and cell phone because they cannot read traffic signs or understand English.
Most of us see this on a daily basis, The problem I have with this is its more bs we already have to give fingerprints what else do they need? What does a bill prove? Maybe the person lives in his truck, this day & age nothing would surprise me....

I had one :censored: stand there and tell me to insert a heavy portable dock plate by myself while he watched and I refused. If it's too heavy for him to help it's too heavy for me to do it myself. He called in on me and that fat piece of :::shit::: who :::shit::: his pants in Scranton wrote me up for it. What an :censored: and what an :censored: company for letting it happen.

You need to change your attitude. I really like the guys who act like they're trying to help when they're really doing nothing hoping that I'll just do it like you do. I just stand there, go to the bathroom and/or go get a cup of coffee. Any resulting time loss is not my problem and the way the company acts I feel no remorse. They might not set the world on fire but they do figure out that I'm not doing it for them.
I like this line when you walk into the business and the say "now what the **ck do you have" my reply is what the **ck did you order? Or delivering a upack & the don't know where they live....

Most of us see this on a daily basis, The problem I have with this is its more bs we already have to give fingerprints what else do they need? What does a bill prove? Maybe the person lives in his truck, this day & age nothing would surprise me....
Another point I am trying to show is you never see these people working LTL because they cannot prove residency, and truckload, container, and green- purple package are notorious for hiring anyone they can get to put behind the wheel. Most ltl hiring requirements with background checks, hazmat and so on keep most, but not all of these people out of our business. So basically now the government is treating us, like the foreign people should have been screened for years. Or at least since 9-11.

Did a night FedEx Ground into Chitcago for 2 weeks. 99% of the OTR guys are on 1099's, speak great Russian or Yugo. Saw nightly guys leaving the yard with the dolly legs 2 inches off the ground and sparks flying.

And JUST when you thought it couldn't get any worse, now Transport Topics is reporting that these bureaucrats want to make all DOT physicals similarly comprehensive to the pilot's physical exam. Good luck with that....

Good luck is right. Pilots who fly under 135 rules (Passenger carrying) take 1 physical every 6 months or yearly if in excellent shape. The physical includes x-rays, EKG test, blood draw & a whole lot more than any truck driver has experienced. If they do pass a rule (trust me they won't) that mandates trucker physicals as stringent as a pilots this country would lose half its truck drivers in a year due to that kind of physical. Once the parties in this industry realize the potential loss of manpower to rules like this it will go away. 24 years old, gone 2 to 3 weeks @ a time, 200.00 a week to live out on the road, no time to party, cops, DOT reg's, & very little to show after a 70 hour week, retention of your driver fleet, yea, nothing to worry about. von.

Good luck is right. Pilots who fly under 135 rules (Passenger carrying) take 1 physical every 6 months or yearly if in excellent shape. The physical includes x-rays, EKG test, blood draw & a whole lot more than any truck driver has experienced. If they do pass a rule (trust me they won't) that mandates trucker physicals as stringent as a pilots this country would lose half its truck drivers in a year due to that kind of physical. Once the parties in this industry realize the potential loss of manpower to rules like this it will go away. 24 years old, gone 2 to 3 weeks @ a time, 200.00 a week to live out on the road, no time to party, cops, DOT reg's, & very little to show after a 70 hour week, retention of your driver fleet, yea, nothing to worry about. von.
Good post, Von. I know a couple of pilots. Their physicals are WAY more intense than ours, and more often.

Good post, Von. I know a couple of pilots. Their physicals are WAY more intense than ours, and more often.
Same thing here. He flies for a jet commuter line & described for me his physical. Can you imagine a senior Captain with sleep apnea flying JFK to Heathrow & you are on board knowing your driver is sleepy. Is that called flying by the seat of your pants? von.

You really need to know which pilots they are referring to, there are three classes of pilots' physicals. Oddly enough there is a push on to reduce the private pilots physical to the same as a driver's license physical.