ABF | d.o.t. recert.

Another point I am trying to show is you never see these people working LTL because they cannot prove residency, and truckload, container, and green- purple package are notorious for hiring anyone they can get to put behind the wheel. Most ltl hiring requirements with background checks, hazmat and so on keep most, but not all of these people out of our business. So basically now the government is treating us, like the foreign people should have been screened for years. Or at least since 9-11.

I think it's ironic to hear the press work themselves into a lather about Syrian refugees fleeing a war zone, or certain politicians demonizing whole races,.........when the reality is that big business wants the borders as wide open as they need. Between HB-1, and HB-2 visas, and completely ignoring the E-Verify Act, the old business axiom about the cheapest way to lower wages is to double the size of the Labor pool,......any so-called terrorist cells that are in this nation are here at the behest of business,......because it's profitable.

Ain't nothing that inspired more terror in me than to be passed on the PA Turnpike at about 80 mph,.......by a guy you KNOW can't speak English........pushing 40 tons down the mountain......

If our Elected Leaders would go stand outside of a food warehouse, or go into a truck stop, .........I think that would inspire quite a bit of terror.

I think it's ironic to hear the press work themselves into a lather about Syrian refugees fleeing a war zone, or certain politicians demonizing whole races,.........when the reality is that big business wants the borders as wide open as they need. Between HB-1, and HB-2 visas, and completely ignoring the E-Verify Act, the old business axiom about the cheapest way to lower wages is to double the size of the Labor pool,......any so-called terrorist cells that are in this nation are here at the behest of business,......because it's profitable.

Ain't nothing that inspired more terror in me than to be passed on the PA Turnpike at about 80 mph,.......by a guy you KNOW can't speak English........pushing 40 tons down the mountain......

If our Elected Leaders would go stand outside of a food warehouse, or go into a truck stop, .........I think that would inspire quite a bit of terror.
No doubt and the first thought I had with this thread is how they work to make it harder for us to keep our licenses while making it easier for those who are willing to work for a lower wage to come in and fill the void.

It is becoming ridiculous. physicals, sleep tests for most, the TSA, costs, to be fair, the license requirements are the same for any driver, non cdl included.. my 16 yr old had to have the same, with us there.. but I agree the influx of foreign drivers, hazmaz hauling.. But as I was told by a govt worker around 911. The threat was trucks hauling hazmat to blow up bridges and buildings and iconic places in the US.. thus increased scrutiny.

I retired in 2009 after 36 years as a truck driver, 35 years of it as a Teamster city driver. I've maintained my cdl for the last six years.
When it expires this year, that's it. To many hoops to jump through. And I don't see myself ever driving a commercial vehicle again.
I'm retired also, you can keep your CDL without the D.O.T. certification as long as you don't plan on driving a commercial vehicle. They just add a restriction code on your license.

It is becoming ridiculous. physicals, sleep tests for most, the TSA, costs, to be fair, the license requirements are the same for any driver, non cdl included.. my 16 yr old had to have the same, with us there.. but I agree the influx of foreign drivers, hazmaz hauling.. But as I was told by a govt worker around 911. The threat was trucks hauling hazmat to blow up bridges and buildings and iconic places in the US.. thus increased scrutiny.

Big Business could care less about hiring a potential "threat",.....as long as they made a profit off of him, before he blew the bridge up,.....or T-Boned a school bus.....

We all see who they are hiring,......and we know damned well that there's very little "background" checking going on.....Truckload driving has become the catchall occupation for any third world immigrant,....legal or otherwise. Used to be taxi cab driving,.....but I guess you can't "live" in your taxi cab......Truckload driving is now "Homes for the Homeless."....

Big Business could care less about hiring a potential "threat",.....as long as they made a profit off of him, before he blew the bridge up,.....or T-Boned a school bus.....

We all see who they are hiring,......and we know damned well that there's very little "background" checking going on.....Truckload driving has become the catchall occupation for any third world immigrant,....legal or otherwise. Used to be taxi cab driving,.....but I guess you can't "live" in your taxi cab......Truckload driving is now "Homes for the Homeless."....
So very true, they don't have addresses, the company pays them on their com check card, it no wonder truck drivers have a bad rep.

Would love to retire, only thing is I'm 45 & have bills to pay....
35, no end in sight...
And you do have my sympathies, honestly. I would not trade places for anything. The older I get the more I can appreciate how difficult it is in American for the younger folks and the trend is not promising. Work more, earn less, get to appreciate life less. They are turning us into a third world country status.

And you do have my sympathies, honestly. I would not trade places for anything. The older I get the more I can appreciate how difficult it is in American for the younger folks and the trend is not promising. Work more, earn less, get to appreciate life less. They are turning us into a third world country status.
Can't bring the workforce to the 3rd world so they bring the 3rd world to the workforce

And together we become one. Seesh, I'm a regular Confucius.
ahh,yes Confucius, like,'he who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly finger. Or, 'he who fart in church, sit in own pew !! You spend too much time in the break room at 184. You need to be at the outdoor deck at Banko's ! I hear they have a bar stool there for you , just like Norm from Cheers had his own bar stool !!!

But I am more like the Cliff Clavin of the place. I'm the go-to guy with the answers to all the unimportant things.

Isn't Cliff Clavin the V.P.in charge of Equipment Maintenance and Technology down at the Fort?

Maybe I'm getting the name mixed up, ......but when you said answers to all the unimportant things,.....that connection immediately came to mind,............Especially right after I tightened up the lower radiator Clamp for the fifth time this month. Got rid of the Good mechanic service and are now "saving" money by using Bubba's Wrench and Deer-Gutting Service,.........who never seem to have the proper tools......( tip: You can't fix everything by pounding it with a rock.......).....

Maybe we should call this Cliff Clavin guy, and he could explain to upper management that Good is never Cheap, and Cheap is never Good........especially in maintenance.

But it also applies to employees.......

Maybe we should call this Cliff Clavin guy, and he could explain to upper management that Good is never Cheap, and Cheap is never Good.
I see this as one of the biggest ironies with ABF..."Good is never Cheap, and Cheap is never Good", is one of their favorite mantras as they solicit our "skill and will" and advertise that it is the reason that they can command higher rates. Low claims is important, both the keeping customers and making money. But when it comes to them shelling out they expect the best for the very least. EVERYTHING they do they take bids on. Everything from the people who give us our physicals to the rotels that the countries finest drivers rest in to the fuel that makes our wheels go 'round to the mechanics who work on the equipment. And, of course, the contract goes to...the lowest bidder...no wonder we have so much to complain about in that dept.

I see this as one of the biggest ironies with ABF..."Good is never Cheap, and Cheap is never Good", is one of their favorite mantras as they solicit our "skill and will" and advertise that it is the reason that they can command higher rates. Low claims is important, both the keeping customers and making money. But when it comes to them shelling out they expect the best for the very least. EVERYTHING they do they take bids on. Everything from the people who give us our physicals to the rotels that the countries finest drivers rest in to the fuel that makes our wheels go 'round to the mechanics who work on the equipment. And, of course, the contract goes to...the lowest bidder...no wonder we have so much to complain about in that dept.
I'm thinking about that 'skill and will' thing as I'm out and about on this last day of the month/quarter. Our terribly-understaffed terminal will, again, be steamrolled with pickups, and that's after we're required to complete those 'pesky' by-2pm 'Amazone' deliveries. Sometimes I wonder why I've chosen this profession.

Speaking of lowest bidder, let's not forget our new logistics department that was financed with our pay cut. Some of our long time customers have complained to us drivers about the ......."quality".......of some of the purchased transportation,.........but Hey! Lookit da' money we savin'!

Haphazard Trucking Inc. and FlapFenders Freight Forwarders are looking for drivers I hear, .......due to an increase in "logistics". Drivers must be sober and breathing to apply..........