Estes | Damage

BIGDOG1970

TB Lurker
Credits
How many of you p&d drivers feel like crap when you delv. freight to a customer and it is damaged. Then they look at you and you can only think what might be going thru there mind. I can only apologise to them and think what it makes the company look like. I know it happens but when it says do not stack, fragile,glass etc. It should throw a flag to whoever is loading it. Also it is not always the co. fault I've picked up freight that was pooorly but together and told them it needed reworked befor i could pick it up They ask why then I explain to them poss. damages and they look and say thanks they never even thought about it.

They need to take the cost of the os&d from the forklift driver and the p&d drivers.

They need to take the cost of the os&d from the forklift driver and the p&d drivers.

Why would you say P&D driver should get charged?Most of the time I get to work, especially lately, my freight has been loaded.If the hubs and break bulks started being charged 100 percent of the claim and supervisors started loosing bonuses i can freaking garuntee you freight would be handled better.When is slow like this there is no reason for damages but I sure as hell still get some on my route.The other thing I hate is when i'm told to recoupe the best I can hide the damage and get a clean bill,I have a real hard time lying to people, some of them i deliver to every day.So as you can asertain I really disagree with you about the P&D comment Mildew,Now as for the fork lift drivers,some of them boys need a 5point saftey harness and a freakin Hans device on their lifts and when its really busy I think they just swap out forks for front end loader buckets.GO STEELERS

Why would you say P&D driver should get charged?Most of the time I get to work, especially lately, my freight has been loaded.If the hubs and break bulks started being charged 100 percent of the claim and supervisors started loosing bonuses i can freaking garuntee you freight would be handled better.When is slow like this there is no reason for damages but I sure as hell still get some on my route.The other thing I hate is when i'm told to recoupe the best I can hide the damage and get a clean bill,I have a real hard time lying to people, some of them i deliver to every day.So as you can asertain I really disagree with you about the P&D comment Mildew,Now as for the fork lift drivers,some of them boys need a 5point saftey harness and a freakin Hans device on their lifts and when its really busy I think they just swap out forks for front end loader buckets.GO STEELERS
Your right! I was just being a pain. ... Sure was some good ball games on today. What a defence!

Reminds me of the time I went to break my load on a hub run and got about 5 pallets in when I noticed something very wrong.
A whole pallet of those wheels that go on the bottom of carts were on top of a 2 hi pallet of koolaid, well that did'nt ride to well.

I did a delivery to a lumber company once, where the owner of the company and his contractor cutomer were standing in the yard waiting for me to pull up with a glass door replacement that we smashed the first time. Yup! Cookie crumbs!:duh: This contractor PROMISED his customer that the door would be in that day. It was a HUGE problem on thier end. I will never forget the hopeless looks on thier faces when I dragged a box of wood and broken glass to the back of the trailer. :Flame-On: I could'nt have felt worse if I ran thier families over with my truck.:loser:

I would be upset delivering damaged freight, but I'm already bracing for the yelling and cursing I receive from customers when delivering freight at 3:30 pm when all the other LTL's are picking up...thats UPS Freight's excellent dispatch!

I try to make the freight presentable for the customer, or explain to them how the damage could have happened, let them inspect the freight if their really worried, all to get that signature so I can get the hell out of Dodge!

While we are on the subject of dock workers and damages,what the hell is going on with ramming skids into each other and not only fusing the two together but do they back up again an get a running start so at least one of them will be firewood?? I understand it's cold;it's the 3rd time you've loaded the same trl with appt. freight because someone has their head up their behind but give me a break,you really think it's fun to restack your mess?? I do everything possible to get them to refuse it just to bring it back for you to play with and don't give me that song and dance that it came in that way either. OK I feel better now that I'm done ranting, blowing my nose and wiping my tears away

While we are on the subject of dock workers and damages,what the hell is going on with ramming skids into each other and not only fusing the two together but do they back up again an get a running start so at least one of them will be firewood?? I understand it's cold;it's the 3rd time you've loaded the same trl with appt. freight because someone has their head up their behind but give me a break,you really think it's fun to restack your mess?? I do everything possible to get them to refuse it just to bring it back for you to play with and don't give me that song and dance that it came in that way either. OK I feel better now that I'm done ranting, blowing my nose and wiping my tears away

Thats nothing.I seen a Dielsel Engine come in to a customer in a metal frame.Frame was not scratched but engine was junk.I mean everything on it was broke.O and Yellow delivered it.

i don't work for estes, but when i worked the city,and had damaged freight,i felt the same way you guys do when trying to deliver it to the customer. they way it was explained to me, was,according to icc regulations, you still have to offer the damaged freight to the customer, and he has to refuse it, for the claim proccess to work. sounds dumb,but remember,it is a gov't regulation.

Blah blah blah... I'm with you P&D guys 100%... but if you aren't actually working to dock then you can't really comment. I'd hate like hell to roll into a customer and drag a skid of garbage to the back and ask them to sign for it. Is there anyway to save face or corporate face, when you've been dragging that pile of claims around on a skid all morning.. dreading like hell getting to that stop? No, there isn't. It seems to me what you all fail to realize or even try to conceptualize.. is what is being forced upon the dock men these days. We're being asked to move 2+ bills an hour more than we were a year ago this time. We're being pressured into "making it fit" "high and tight".. call it what you will.. and during the speeches about those things.. they always love to throw in the " if we aren't meeting these production goals, layoffs aren't out of the picture" We're being manipulated into moving freight that we simply don't have and moving it faster, and with the same poor materials that we've always had. Being dockworkers, we don't have the luxury of having a CDL and a clean driving record to fall back on... we're judged of performance 1st, and quality 2nd. It's a sad fact. Nothing else. Our employer knows that dock jobs are few and far between..and growing slimmer by the day... So ask yourselves... if management presented to you a Bill Per Hour delivery quota... What would you do? Would you think of feeding, clothing, and housing your family in this economy? Or would you you drag your *** down the road, milking the clock? Remember, Estes does NOT lay off.. they reduce.. so when or IF they decide to bring someone back.. you come back at the bottom AKA New Hire. I'm pretty sure that as truck drivers on P&D.. you have the ability to inspect the load you intend to deliver that day. So crawl your lazy *** up in there and have a look.. and don't blame everything on the dockworkers. If you don't like it.. have them fix it.. tell a supervisor...if they don't do anything to your liking..get on a forklift and fix it yourself.... Remember High on the right.. Heavy on the Left.. And while you're at it.. thank a dock man for braving the cold to do the job you probably aren't either aren't willing to do.. or quite frankly, aren't capable of doing. Have a nice day.

Blah blah blah... I'm with you P&D guys 100%... but if you aren't actually working to dock then you can't really comment. I'd hate like hell to roll into a customer and drag a skid of garbage to the back and ask them to sign for it. Is there anyway to save face or corporate face, when you've been dragging that pile of claims around on a skid all morning.. dreading like hell getting to that stop? No, there isn't. It seems to me what you all fail to realize or even try to conceptualize.. is what is being forced upon the dock men these days. We're being asked to move 2+ bills an hour more than we were a year ago this time. We're being pressured into "making it fit" "high and tight".. call it what you will.. and during the speeches about those things.. they always love to throw in the " if we aren't meeting these production goals, layoffs aren't out of the picture" We're being manipulated into moving freight that we simply don't have and moving it faster, and with the same poor materials that we've always had. Being dockworkers, we don't have the luxury of having a CDL and a clean driving record to fall back on... we're judged of performance 1st, and quality 2nd. It's a sad fact. Nothing else. Our employer knows that dock jobs are few and far between..and growing slimmer by the day... So ask yourselves... if management presented to you a Bill Per Hour delivery quota... What would you do? Would you think of feeding, clothing, and housing your family in this economy? Or would you you drag your *** down the road, milking the clock? Remember, Estes does NOT lay off.. they reduce.. so when or IF they decide to bring someone back.. you come back at the bottom AKA New Hire. I'm pretty sure that as truck drivers on P&D.. you have the ability to inspect the load you intend to deliver that day. So crawl your lazy *** up in there and have a look.. and don't blame everything on the dockworkers. If you don't like it.. have them fix it.. tell a supervisor...if they don't do anything to your liking..get on a forklift and fix it yourself.... Remember High on the right.. Heavy on the Left.. And while you're at it.. thank a dock man for braving the cold to do the job you probably aren't either aren't willing to do.. or quite frankly, aren't capable of doing. Have a nice day.

Well said ES4E...
I have a great dock crew at my barn. We don't play the numbers game in any way.. (2 + Bills ) in any facet of our operation, to motivate. We just get the job done, and our management expects not to be getting screwed when they do look at the numbers.
It's too bad that you guys are having lay offs held over your head. That's not how a "family" operation should run. You let people move the freight, not spreadsheets.
As far as the cold... If you DID that 2+ bills per our more, maybe you would be warmer! I'm KIDDING!!! :biglaugh:
I work the dock a couple hours a day in the morning, and whine in this cold like a baby. :hissyfit: I don't know how you guys pull it off, but your better men than me.