ABF | Dash-cam / Personal Entertainment

GO40

TB Legend
Credits
Now that the dash cam's are installed it seems my Tm can't step away from his screen from watching our every move, & now he is encouraging others in the office to join in. He is even going as far as taking still pictures. Any other terminals having this problem? I thought they were going to be used in case of a accident? Can they use the footage for discipline. Seeing how slow we are one would think the TM would be out selling, but after several years here and zero accounts why start now.

Funny you mention this. We had an issue at our barn and the BA said the agreement between the company and the teamsters is it is only to be used in case of an accident and not for discipline. Of course that is always subject to change because they never told us that until there was an issue.

Funny you mention this. We had an issue at our barn and the BA said the agreement between the company and the teamsters is it is only to be used in case of an accident and not for discipline. Of course that is always subject to change because they never told us that until there was an issue.
They used a still picture to have a driver pull a set back when it was snowing, said the customers parking lot was only wet in the picture... it was a direct order. Now they are opening themselves up for legal issues with this kind of managing....

They used a still picture to have a driver pull a set back when it was snowing, said the customers parking lot was only wet in the picture... it was a direct order. Now they are opening themselves up for legal issues with this kind of managing....
The driver should have told them the lot was slick and they were telling him to do something unsafe

He sent the driver a picture of the wet & heavily salted parking lot. This kind of managing is going to bite them in the ass.
Brace yourselves. This is only the beginning. The BA’s are basically gonna have to carve out some office space for themselves based on the amount of future grievances filed on this issue.

Brace yourselves. This is only the beginning. The BA’s are basically gonna have to carve out some office space for themselves based on the amount of future grievances filed on this issue.
We called in two days ago about this issue & no answer, guess we have to go higher.

Now that the dash cam's are installed it seems my Tm can't step away from his screen from watching our every move, & now he is encouraging others in the office to join in. He is even going as far as taking still pictures. Any other terminals having this problem? I thought they were going to be used in case of a accident? Can they use the footage for discipline. Seeing how slow we are one would think the TM would be out selling, but after several years here and zero accounts why start now.
Make sure you’re off the clock and off company property when you do the following: Tell that TM if he does it again, you’ll stick that camera so far up his ass that every time he blinks his eyes, it’ll snap a picture of what’s in front of him.

Everyone saw this coming...some ‘tech-savvy’ TM would be glued to his computer screen basically spying on his employees.

Make sure you’re off the clock and off company property when you do the following: Tell that TM if he does it again, you’ll stick that camera so far up his ass that every time he blinks his eyes, it’ll snap a picture of what’s in front of him.

Everyone saw this coming...some ‘tech-savvy’ TM would be glued to his computer screen basically spying on his employees.
I’m smarter then that to get involved into a pissing match where I lose my cool. I’m bringing this up because the union better understand that this is new world of trucking....

We called in two days ago about this issue & no answer, guess we have to go higher.
Do whatever is necessary. This behavior has to be stopped.
I’m smarter then that to get involved into a pissing match where I lose my cool. I’m bringing this up because the union better understand that this is new world of trucking....
Maybe just ask him: “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

This will be a great tool for attracting & retaining qualified employees when the word gets out that if you are an employee of ABF the TM & office staff will make a game out of watching you all day. If the office personnel have time for this, that office is overstaffed. Tell the office personnel the company is going to install cameras to watch them next. Then watch them squirm.

This will be a great tool for attracting & retaining qualified employees when the word gets out that if you are an employee of ABF the TM & office staff will make a game out of watching you all day. If the office personnel have time for this, that office is overstaffed. Tell the office personnel the company is going to install cameras to watch them next. Then watch them squirm.
If you blow your nose (or pick it) or sneeze, wipe sweat off your forehead, etc and you take your hand off the steering wheel and the office staff is watching, will that count against you...As I stated in a previous post, let's hang out down at our friend's "Joe's Bar & Grill" and I am sure that you will see the sales reps (with a client of course), downing a couple of Buds and eating cheeseburgers/fries and onion rings trying their best to get a 6Pak like me!
I feel for you guys..it just ain't the same..some little snotty recent college grad knowing so much about trucks, etc, but give him credit, he does know about computers. Since the new generation lives on their cell phones/tablets, have you noticed that most of them can't really write in cursive? All print? If you haven't noticed, just start looking.

Wait!.........Has the Teamsters,...and Ernie Soehl, agreed to this? The only thing I've found is the May 19th Memorandum that said negotiations about Driver-facing cameras were ongoing.........And that the Teamsters strenuously disagreed with the companies over their use.

Maybe I missed something,....If so,...please enlighten me.

If there is NO agreement/memorandum in place..........you have a massive grievance over company use/misuse of an item STILL in negotiation.

And,......since the issue is in negotiation,......you have the absolute right,...as a Citizen,.....to deny the company to view, record, or use any personal image they capture without your express consent,...on a per incident basis.
As I've recommended in the past,....write a letter, give a copy to Union and management. They are violating your Fourth Amendment Right to "be secure in their PERSONS, house, papers, and EFFECTS, against unreasonable searches and seizures..."

An interpretation in the Computer Age would mean your own Image,...which may be used in the future for your identification........(...you know,...banking, security,.....and stuff like that..)....

Allowing your employer to.....collect..(..and OWN, on their equipment,..)...your Image,...is tantamount to leaving your Social Security card in McDonalds. Lord knows there's already indiscriminate Image collection going on,.....but to allow a .....personal video of your PERSONAL iImage to be collected,...(and OWNED,...I might add...)....by your employer,...is unconscienable.

As far as i know,.....there's NO negotiation about security,.....or destruction of any collected video,....or LIABILITY in case company files get hacked......

Brother,....unless I'm not up to speed as far as any "memorandum"....and the Steward at my former terminal just sent me a picture of the Tape still on his camera,........

You have a very big grievance to file,....for company use of a piece of equipment STILL under negotiation. Violation of Contract/Privacy/Constitutional Rights........In My Opinion......Unload the whole dump truck on him.....
But definately a contractual violation.......

Or,....am I jumping to conclusions about the Driver side of the camera?,........and your work-adverse TM is nit-picking the outward-facing side,.....knowing he's not allowed (yet) to discipline you for activities inside the cab?

Looks like,....if that's the case,.....the company is proving the point,...that if they got Driver-facing cameras approved,....they'd make "selected" employees lives a working Hell........
.....because it sure seems that the TM in this case,.....has plenty of time on his soft white hands,.....to question the driver's judgement,...and second-guess his decisions.....

If I were the Steward,.....I'd start an..."Incident" file,...and collect all those times where the camera was used to....harass, inveigle, intimidate, second-guess, and, in general,.......single out certain drivers for that "special" attention that management likes to call ; "instruction".....

You may find a....pattern...of certain people being singled out........The outspoken,....the contract-knowledgeable....stewards...alternates....committeemen.....employees that the TM just doesn't...like....

Give a copy of the incident to the TM,....Union,...and one for yourself and the employee involved. You may find,....a year or so from now,......a distinct pattern of abuse to discriminate against....certain employees.
Drivers only,........Dock and Yard don't have personal videos yet.......

If you blow your nose (or pick it) or sneeze, wipe sweat off your forehead, etc and you take your hand off the steering wheel and the office staff is watching, will that count against you...As I stated in a previous post, let's hang out down at our friend's "Joe's Bar & Grill" and I am sure that you will see the sales reps (with a client of course), downing a couple of Buds and eating cheeseburgers/fries and onion rings trying their best to get a 6Pak like me!
I feel for you guys..it just ain't the same..some little snotty recent college grad knowing so much about trucks, etc, but give him credit, he does know about computers. Since the new generation lives on their cell phones/tablets, have you noticed that most of them can't really write in cursive? All print? If you haven't noticed, just start looking.
Not only that, the digital age has delivered another ‘lost art’....that being proofreading. Our local newspaper (which is digitally formatted in a city MILES away and electronically sent here) is replete with spelling/grammatical errors on a daily basis. The ‘Keyboard Snot-nosed Kowboys’ apparently don’t have time to check their work.

Not only that, the digital age has delivered another ‘lost art’....that being proofreading. Our local newspaper (which is digitally formatted in a city MILES away and electronically sent here) is replete with spelling/grammatical errors on a daily basis. The ‘Keyboard Snot-nosed Kowboys’ apparently don’t have time to check their work.

Yaas,........like the local Mellon-Scaife rag printed around here........They "save" money twice a week by not printing their comics in color.......Always gets a big response in the "Letters to the Editor"....

Words of more than three syllables are non-existent on their pages. The windy and incoherent editors possess not a Thesarus in the office........Nor Spell-Check.....

Half of the newspaper-reading Public is below average in intelligence.........Mathematical Fact.......And it's a shame that the only 7 day "newspaper" in this area,....has staked out the...bottom half of that demographic.....

Camera or no camera, if anyone tells you, you must drive a truck and you're involved in an accident, who do you think will be charged?
Not the dummie sitting behind his desk, remember, the driver has sole discretion when to drive his vehicle.

Camera or no camera, if anyone tells you, you must drive a truck and you're involved in an accident, who do you think will be charged?
Not the dummie sitting behind his desk, remember, the driver has sole discretion when to drive his vehicle.
But, but, he has spread sheets and algorythms that calculate the distance/speed/braking that you needed to avoid the accident in the first place....that college educated , rookie fool! He probably majored in psychology..

Or,....am I jumping to conclusions about the Driver side of the camera?,........and your work-adverse TM is nit-picking the outward-facing side,.....knowing he's not allowed (yet) to discipline you for activities inside the cab?

Looks like,....if that's the case,.....the company is proving the point,...that if they got Driver-facing cameras approved,....they'd make "selected" employees lives a working Hell........
.....because it sure seems that the TM in this case,.....has plenty of time on his soft white hands,.....to question the driver's judgement,...and second-guess his decisions.....

If I were the Steward,.....I'd start an..."Incident" file,...and collect all those times where the camera was used to....harass, inveigle, intimidate, second-guess, and, in general,.......single out certain drivers for that "special" attention that management likes to call ; "instruction".....

You may find a....pattern...of certain people being singled out........The outspoken,....the contract-knowledgeable....stewards...alternates....committeemen.....employees that the TM just doesn't...like....

Give a copy of the incident to the TM,....Union,...and one for yourself and the employee involved. You may find,....a year or so from now,......a distinct pattern of abuse to discriminate against....certain employees.
Drivers only,........Dock and Yard don't have personal videos yet.......
Outward facing camera.