SAIA | Decision making day

I think eventually a driver shortage will trump these driver facing cameras. It's just gonna get harder to find good drivers as it is.

As truckers search for other employment opportunities, school will become another source of income,as it will produce better paying jobs by learning a new trade. If this progresses into the future, “good drivers” will become less and less causing trucking companies to push nubies out of there own schooling. After 25 years all drivers will be graduates of these “run of the mill” trucking schools. It’ll open up a new can of worms for cops, dot, and insurance problems. The days of the trucking companies being it’s own insurance company with a link to “whatever big insurance” will be over.

Funny how I heard MANY times during my tenure at Saia that drivers are replaceable, and that drivers are the biggest drain on company resources. My argument was always that drivers are the most important facet to your LTL Trucking Company. Seemed like common sense at the time, and still plays true today. But trying to convince a manager (who by the way, knows everything and couldn't possibly be mistaken) of that fact was definitely an uphill battle. Amazing how almost every argument or gripe stems from treating drivers like second hand citizens. Maybe management should change their attitude toward drivers, treat them better, and then things like cameras wouldn't have the same negative effect on attracting and retaining drivers. But, on the other hand, maybe trimming down the driver pool was part of the plan all along, and the cameras are just a tool to facilitate that.

Funny how I heard MANY times during my tenure at Saia that drivers are replaceable, and that drivers are the biggest drain on company resources. My argument was always that drivers are the most important facet to your LTL Trucking Company. Seemed like common sense at the time, and still plays true today. But trying to convince a manager (who by the way, knows everything and couldn't possibly be mistaken) of that fact was definitely an uphill battle. Amazing how almost every argument or gripe stems from treating drivers like second hand citizens. Maybe management should change their attitude toward drivers, treat them better, and then things like cameras wouldn't have the same negative effect on attracting and retaining drivers. But, on the other hand, maybe trimming down the driver pool was part of the plan all along, and the cameras are just a tool to facilitate that.
Find enough managers(in all departments) that can climb in the trucks today , and run P&D or linehaul and see ow bad the company talks about them. WAIT! WHAT???? It AINT happening. All that “beating the driver down crap” is designed BY corporate to FORCE the driver to do MORE than he/she CAN do in the allotted times. The best advice I ever had was
“ Do the best you can and if they are not happy, let THEM let you go”.

Find enough managers(in all departments) that can climb in the trucks today , and run P&D or linehaul and see ow bad the company talks about them. WAIT! WHAT???? It AINT happening. All that “beating the driver down crap” is designed BY corporate to FORCE the driver to do MORE than he/she CAN do in the allotted times. The best advice I ever had was
“ Do the best you can and if they are not happy, let THEM let you go”.
And then go draw unemployment on them for being terminated for performance based issues. You will always win an appeal if the company wants to fight it. FYI.

I would say that around 50% of the managers that I knew couldn’t pass a DOT physical, much less hop in and out of the cab 40 times a day on a city run, or hook a set in a snowstorm. But, it’s ok to judge drivers when you stare at a computer screen all day. Hmm...

I would say that around 50% of the managers that I knew couldn’t pass a DOT physical, much less hop in and out of the cab 40 times a day on a city run, or hook a set in a snowstorm. But, it’s ok to judge drivers when you stare at a computer screen all day. Hmm...

Every job I’ve ever had, I strived to be the very best I could be. One thing I can say is that I’ve mastered driving a truck. Many times my job has been threatened by some sqinty eyed screen searcher. Every time I have asked them to come get in a truck and follow me around the block and keep up with me....while I drive it backwards. Tim P in NC is good for threatening a drivers job yet he can’t drive a truck straight down the road. He claims he was a driver before he became screen searcher. The only thing he can drive is DRIVERS AWAY.

And then go draw unemployment on them for being terminated for performance based issues. You will always win an appeal if the company wants to fight it. FYI.
You'll have to do do this on your own time and good luck winning a appeal and no back .pay.And then if you go back expect a hostile environment.And if you thought they have to give you your same truck same starting time and so on.It won't happen.You have no collective bargaining agreement.You can only beg.If that's beneath you ,find another job.They already have a replacement.

These companies are all the same.After 40 years in the business and not enough fingers and toes to count the number of motor carriers I've worked for.The only thing that changes is the name on the door.

You'll have to do do this on your own time and good luck winning a appeal and no back .pay.And then if you go back expect a hostile environment.And if you thought they have to give you your same truck same starting time and so on.It won't happen.You have no collective bargaining agreement.You can only beg.If that's beneath you ,find another job.They already have a replacement.

Do I detect rubbing salt into the wound?

I will retire in early 2018. I can think of no better way to go out than drawing unemployment until I turn 63. That's about $460 a week for doing nothing. You seem to have lost my point. I don't give a ::shit::. I'm done and want out. I've done this too damn long as it is.

Do I detect rubbing salt into the wound?
Mr. Roadboss needs to stay up with the thread. I would consider it good fortune to be laid off. I've worked 45 years in this business and have never drawn unemployment. I want a piece of the pie. If I quit I could never get unemployment. Geez!!!

Mr. Roadboss needs to stay up with the thread. I would consider it good fortune to be laid off. I've worked 45 years in this business and have never drawn unemployment. I want a piece of the pie. If I quit I could never get unemployment. Geez!!!
If you get fired you can't collect either,Well in my state you can't.I guess In Texas you can thank a Democrat.

If you get fired you can't collect either,Well in my state you can't.I guess In Texas you can thank a Democrat.
Most the time you can in Texas depending on the offense. Cussing the boss out or fighting ... Things like that. But in most cases such as performance issues or accidents you will get it after an appeal to the unemployment office. Getting laid off because of no work is automatic. No appeal necessary. In Texas $460. max is sweet. Need to have them take out taxes though or you will get ****ed at the end of the year.