ABF | DEF shortage in America

hangbelly

TB Lurker
Credits
Reports state America is facing a severe DEF shortage due to the main supplier China switching from using synthetic urea for DEF made from natural gas and CO2 into fertilizer production. American producers must be doing so also. This will impact supply chains dramatically. We could be swimming in diesel and without DEF, the trucks won't run. As if the industry needs any more bad news... Biden should direct American producers to full production of DEF under his emergency authority. He should, but we'll see...

Theres a couple pallets of DEF at every auto parts store in my area.

I dont believe in them at all. I prefer natural air breathing engines and dont mind a little bit of computer stuff. Such as my last 350 3406 cat had. It was known as a E cat back then. The first of its kind. A good engine. No DEF anything for it.

As far as the United States of America going into the proverbial ditch when trucks (Trains etc) runs out of the precious DEF fluids then thats their problem. Its my problem too as a US Citizen who has to live with a broken supply situation because of no DEF anywhere therefore no trucks.

My Tahoe can haul two pallets. Its time I got into trucking. Two pallets at a time. Gas engine. No DEF needed. No computer chips needed either. Its all solid state with extremely limited electronics.

So with the over regulating and excessive emissions mandates such as DEF etc the dear Uncle Sam shot himself in the foot. Serves them right.

Suppose the trucks did quit running? Cool There are three truck yards where old iron sit rusting quietly. You can probably toss batteries on every one of them, air up tires, slosh fresh fuel into them and they should start. Some will be air starts too. But one gets going you can buddy the others to start too.

Presto 50 to 100 plus tractors of all sorts of ancient vintage running freight again. Since Fuel is 10.00 a gallon the costs of running such old iron is immaterial now.

However if us old bastards die off enough and leave the next two generations knowing nothing about old iron and just push button trucks, then we are truly ****ed.

I dont believe in them at all. I prefer natural air breathing engines and dont mind a little bit of computer stuff. Such as my last 350 3406 cat had. It was known as a E cat back then. The first of its kind. A good engine. No DEF anything for it.

As far as the United States of America going into the proverbial ditch when trucks (Trains etc) runs out of the precious DEF fluids then thats their problem. Its my problem too as a US Citizen who has to live with a broken supply situation because of no DEF anywhere therefore no trucks.

My Tahoe can haul two pallets. Its time I got into trucking. Two pallets at a time. Gas engine. No DEF needed. No computer chips needed either. Its all solid state with extremely limited electronics.

So with the over regulating and excessive emissions mandates such as DEF etc the dear Uncle Sam shot himself in the foot. Serves them right.

Suppose the trucks did quit running? Cool There are three truck yards where old iron sit rusting quietly. You can probably toss batteries on every one of them, air up tires, slosh fresh fuel into them and they should start. Some will be air starts too. But one gets going you can buddy the others to start too.

Presto 50 to 100 plus tractors of all sorts of ancient vintage running freight again. Since Fuel is 10.00 a gallon the costs of running such old iron is immaterial now.

However if us old bastards die off enough and leave the next two generations knowing nothing about old iron and just push button trucks, then we are truly ****ed.
.You can use ammonia/based windex in a pinch to get off the road, but don't try urinating in the DEF tank. that won't work. DEF is about1/3 synthetic urea and 2/3 distilled water. The damage to the system will cost thousands to fix. Those pallets of DEF are probably 12.00/gal DEF, that's why they are still there. DEF was about 6.00/gal in bulk at the pump when I was buying it back in Dec. But that is probably what it will take to get it back into production. It will need to be more profitable than fertilizer for China to begin making it again. They couldn't care less if our trucks won't run.

Last edited:

If you get that 2 pallet Tahoe rolling and need a lumper, give me a call, maybe we can work a deal.

.You can use ammonia/based windex in a pinch to get off the road, but don't try urinating in the DEF tank. that won't work. DEF is about1/3 synthetic urea and 2/3 distilled water. The damage to the system will cost thousands to fix. Those pallets of DEF are probably 12.00/gal DEF, that's why they are still there. DEF was about 6.00/gal in bulk at the pump when I was buying it back in Dec. But that is probably what it will take to get it back into production. It will need to be more profitable than fertilizer for China to begin making it again. They couldn't care less if our trucks won't run.
There are trucks and Diesel engines running every day with with out DEF, there are ways around it through the computer.

Ive been in the original Military Hummer, cool little vehicles. Essentially a 300 Detriot or something light.

The H2 at the auction house was pretty good. Until they quit making them. Its not for everyone. It is a bit too much Plush.

Theres a few things I need doing on that old rustbucket of mine. But as long there is money honey.... (Bitch.... lolz)

Ive been in the original Military Hummer, cool little vehicles. Essentially a 300 Detriot or something light.

The H2 at the auction house was pretty good. Until they quit making them. Its not for everyone. It is a bit too much Plush.

Theres a few things I need doing on that old rustbucket of mine. But as long there is money honey.... (Bitch.... lolz)
Okay.
Not to sure you got the comment about the “Hummer” I think that one blew/blue right over your “ Head”

Okay.
Not to sure you got the comment about the “Hummer” I think that one blew/blue right over your “ Head”
It does not matter anymore Humvee Hummer whatever. Biden was addled having mental issues and unable to appreciate such a electric POS.

We have had our last converstation. If you cannot define the flawed use of the word hummer to me then just resort to schoolyard insults you can **** off.

It does not matter anymore Humvee Hummer whatever. Biden was addled having mental issues and unable to appreciate such a electric POS.

We have had our last converstation. If you cannot define the flawed use of the word hummer to me then just resort to schoolyard insults you can **** off.
Not poking fun or insulting you. Re read my #6 post.
Okay now I will explain, Bill Clinton put the strict restrictions on diesel emissions.
The reference to HUMMER was not the vehicle , it was what Bill got from Monica. The comment in post 8 about BLEW was referring to what Monica did and BLUE was the color of her dress, now “HEAD” I think you can figure that one out.
No insult intended, just making fun of Slick Willie and his Intern.
Thanks you gave me a heck of a laugh.

Not poking fun or insulting you. Re read my #6 post.
Okay now I will explain, Bill Clinton put the strict restrictions on diesel emissions.
The reference to HUMMER was not the vehicle , it was what Bill got from Monica. The comment in post 8 about BLEW was referring to what Monica did and BLUE was the color of her dress, now “HEAD” I think you can figure that one out.
No insult intended, just making fun of Slick Willie and his Intern.
Thanks you gave me a heck of a laugh.
I think everyone got it. It is refreshing that he didn't appear to. But the rest of us with low morals picked up on it right away.... It was a great line, by the way... but to address your specific comment about diesels not using DEF. I don't think it is possible to reprogram class 8 heavy truck engines newer than 2011 around the emissions monitoring. And even if it could, they would never allow it... This is a war against fossil fuel, after all. I could be wrong, of course..

Last edited:
I think everyone got it. It is refreshing that he didn't appear to. But the rest of us with low morals picked up on it right away.... It was a great line, by the way... but to address your specific comment about diesels not using DEF. I don't think it is possible to reprogram class 8 heavy truck engines newer than 2011 around the emissions monitoring. And even if it could, they would never allow it... This is a war against fossil fuel, after all. I could be wrong, of course..
Some jurisdictions require emissions tests of heavy duty trucks, they would never pass being deleted.

So I missed the clinton connection. Wunnerbar. Stupid me.

Whatever. The blue dress with the stain was last seen in the Port of Little Rock Museum of Clinton as some kind of trophy and thats like 20 years ago. I never visit there.

As far as Clinton getting his mind blown under the Presidental desk and all that back then turns out Hillary is the more dangerous one for not divorcing him on the spot. She has nothing inside her that demands a pound of Flesh off Billy when some breathless little girl blew bubbles in him that day.

Fast forward to the disgusting unacceptable sinful crap spewing all over the stained white house with Hunter, Daddy and inlaws etc Washington DC is probably slated to be burned out by megatonnage fire.

I am going to forget all about this clinton reference and the blew whatever. It has no meaning to me and my reaction to it is meaningless at this point. So I just as soon drop the whole thing.

I was never very good at things that are hidden. So Im finished with that crap.

Whatever. The blue dress with the stain was last seen in the Port of Little Rock Museum of Clinton as some kind of trophy and thats like 20 years ago. I never visit there.

As far as Clinton getting his mind blown under the Presidental desk and all that back then turns out Hillary is the more dangerous one for not divorcing him on the spot. She has nothing inside her that demands a pound of Flesh off Billy when some breathless little girl blew bubbles in him that day.

Fast forward to the disgusting unacceptable sinful crap spewing all over the stained white house with Hunter, Daddy and inlaws etc Washington DC is probably slated to be burned out by megatonnage fire.

I am going to forget all about this clinton reference and the blew whatever. It has no meaning to me and my reaction to it is meaningless at this point. So I just as soon drop the whole thing.

All good was trying to be cryptic with out drawing a vivid picture. All good. If you want good read , Google Mena Arkansas and the Clinton’s. True corruption with the government.

Last edited:
I know some who are on newer than 2011, and on ag equipment. I think it is being overblown a little, just another way to create a shortage and higher prices. Different forms of nitrogen have been used in coal plants as a scrubber for years, they will come up with something.
I would bet you can’t find a 2 1/2 gallon jug in a Walmart or auto parts store. Crazy stuff.

I've never seen anyone use so many words just to say he's finished. :idunno:

I know some who are on newer than 2011, and on ag equipment. I think it is being overblown a little, just another way to create a shortage and higher prices. Different forms of nitrogen have been used in coal plants as a scrubber for years, they will come up with something.
I would bet you can’t find a 2 1/2 gallon jug in a Walmart or auto parts store. Crazy stuff.
Yeah, probably not any more. I know I refused to buy it in the jug at a truck stop back in November because it was too high. But, that will be the bottom line. It will be available when the price is high enough again. At 80 or 100 gal of diesel to 1, it will just become the price you have pay...

Can you imagine ABF pulling sets with 1965 Hendricksons with 4x4 transmissions. It brings tears of joy to my eyes just thinking about it... until you think about no A/C and the 220 Cummins....Nostalgic, kind of like the old steam whistle locomotives in the night.. I do remember how I loved those distant mournful sounds on the night wind as a kid. I think it should be federal law that all diesel locomotives must have a small boiler for a steam whistle.

Last edited:
All good was trying to be cryptic with out drawing a vivid picture. All good. If you want good read , Google Mena Arkansas and the Clinton’s. True corruption with the government.
And the body count keeps mounting. Two more this month committed Arkancide. One hung himself and another drowned herself both using the same type of electrical extension cord. They are sending a message....