Deliveries are tough

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Oh cripe, today I got held up at a grocery store for 2 hours, totally screwed the day, ended up causing a ripple effect and any how a day that should have ended at 14:00pm ended at 17:00 plus I had to empty my trailer out at the yard had some 47 empty pallets in my trailer that I had to pull off. Any how had a bunch of unhappy grocery stores late in the day. Oh well. The company said pretty much to bad how sad for the disgruntled grocery stores that were mad that there order didn't make it until way late.

The account that held me, up is trouble maker they know this, and just gamble that we can make it in and out of there. It really should be at the end of the day and not the middle, because it's to much of a hassle. All pallets have to be broken down on U-boats and then everything has to go through one by one hand by hand and today I had 200 bottles of wine and there was a miscount and I had to find the missing bottle and it took way way way to long.

Really screwed the whole day. The company told me, if ever a situation like that arises again to telephone it in, and they will get find a way to get me out of there and moving. Bulk truck routes can be good, but they can also be a real hell.

My backing went to absolute Sh** later in the day I was way cocked to the left with a gap on the right all day long after the 5th stop. The last stop of the day I didn't even bother to dock it, I had to walk to the door anyhow, so I liftgated a pallet down, was let in and then ran out got the second and last pallet and called it a day, wasn't even worth backing in unlocking the garage door or finding an angry manager with a key to unlock the garage door Jack-assing around with dock plate and all that crap, probably saved my self a bunch of time and hassle just using the lift gate. I have a power jack anyhow so for two pallets it was easy.

Sometimes it is faster using the lift gate, I've found then bumping a dock, now at some of my stops I have to bump a dock, but some of them I don't have to.

The truck I had today was nice, but for some reason I was having a hard time backing and could not get the trailer square enough on the dock and at the same time I had this lift gate on my truck that was real screwy, and didn't go down far enough. and you had to be lined up perfect and I mean perfect to get the dock plate to work just right. Like a couple of my backs in a regular trailer it would have been fine, or a lift gate that went down a tad further, but not today.

Oh well, any how side-loader tomorrow so hopefully it goes a tad smoother.

Today wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday it was pretty much a night and day difference I got an early start on the day and actually was all done and in my car going home a tad after 5:00pm.

Don't feel bad about not bumping the dock straight every time, sometimes it just doesn't happen. It is frustrating when a customer holds you up, but just take a deep breath and act like you don't care how long they take and you will be out of there before you know it.

There are people out there, who hate their jobs and lives, and yet take great pleasure in trying to mess up someone elses life, they like the power, so like Banker says " take a deep breath and act like you don't care" and before long they'll get the idea and move on to next driver they may be able to rile-up for their power fix. And while its easy to deal and build friendships with most all your customers, I found it to be a personal challenge to work on and breakdown the jerks and many times its easy than you think to build a workable relationship and works out in the end for you, you just have to figure out a in with them.