R&L | Demise of R&L team drivers?

vigilantie

TB Lurker
Credits
I heard Fri from a ABCO driver that they have posted a notice @ FtMeyers yard that they want to hire 50 teams. Anyone else heard that? Wondering if they are expanding the reefer line, since that is what they are, or are they going to add dry vans?

I do know there getting ready to start Tandems through NY and Mass thus moving more freight with less people. Also was told they are trying to get NY to run Triples and are already doing it in Ohio.

I dont know much about ABCO but Spirit Express is a total joke. I was worried at first that they would try to replace us with these clowns but after seeing this outfit in action im not worried much anymore. They are running a DVR to Fontana dedicated run with Spirit. Its been running for 6 weeks and they are on their 4th Spirit team already...LOL. It took one of those teams 20 hours to get from LSV to DVR....its about 750 miles. My co-driver and i run it in 12. I know that Spirit pays .32 cpm...so if ABCO pays about the same they will go through the same amount of drivers that Spirit does. Dont think they will ever get enough drivers consistently working for them to take anymore R@L jobs.

tandems or double 48's ???????
Double 48's we have a couple Tractors and dollies in are Yard and I have already completed the company traing and Road test. Unfortunatley for me it WILL be a cut in pay but part of what they are doing is gonna eliminate my Line haul run with pups

Double 48's we have a couple Tractors and dollies in are Yard and I have already completed the company traing and Road test. Unfortunatley for me it WILL be a cut in pay but part of what they are doing is gonna eliminate my Line haul run with pups

yea but doesn't it pay more per hr or cpm to pull double 48's and don't you have to have special licence to pull them in ny.
i don't know thats what i heard and am just asking.

yea but doesn't it pay more per hr or cpm to pull double 48's and don't you have to have special licence to pull them in ny.
i don't know thats what i heard and am just asking.
It pays more by the mile but from what i've seen so far all the runs are about a 100 to 150 miles shorter than what i run now,you have to get a special Permit from NY state and to qualify you need a min of 5 years experience hauling doubles and Vans with no Chargable accidents or Tickets in the last 5 years

It pays more by the mile but from what i've seen so far all the runs are about a 100 to 150 miles shorter than what i run now,you have to get a special Permit from NY state and to qualify you need a min of 5 years experience hauling doubles and Vans with no Chargable accidents or Tickets in the last 5 years
Won't having that N.Y.throughway permit make you a more valuable commodity on the job market?The employment security you get from possessing that piece of paper is probaly worth the reduction in mileage,at least in the long run even in the toughest economic conditions you'll be able to get a job,I don't think you'll ever regret getting the LCV permit.

Won't having that N.Y.throughway permit make you a more valuable commodity on the job market?The employment security you get from possessing that piece of paper is probaly worth the reduction in mileage,at least in the long run even in the toughest economic conditions you'll be able to get a job,I don't think you'll ever regret getting the LCV permit.
That is why i got my permit , you can never have to many options

The only Pro sleeper i've seen was a test truck. Any new sleepers will be used equipment..

don't beleive anyone said that we had bought any just seen one in the shop and they don't strip number and logo test trucks probably one they gave use to try and keep trying to get us to buy more . buttt the truck (pro sleeper) in the wil shop has been numbered ,lettered and stripped and is r+l green.

Getting your New York tandem permit is a wise idea, ive had mine for 9 years and dont regret it. Been through 3 companies with mine, APA closed, Left NEMF cause the place is a mess and now I am at Wegmans the permit was a valuable commodity at all of them.

Getting your New York tandem permit is a wise idea, ive had mine for 9 years and dont regret it. Been through 3 companies with mine, APA closed, Left NEMF cause the place is a mess and now I am at Wegmans the permit was a valuable commodity at all of them.
That's what i figured it just gives me one more thing on resume that opens more doors :1036316054::1036316054::1036316054:

the sleeper is a new 2010 unit, it's a test truck for 6 months. that's what the shop foreman said.

Seems a little silly to use a team truck for the test truck.Nothing against our teams but if you want to test a truck wouldn't you get what you use the most of like a day cab on line haul or the city.That would be a better test.

the sleeper is a new 2010 unit, it's a test truck for 6 months. that's what the shop foreman said.

sounds like a lot of work to do to a test truck. the night forman told me that they gave it to us to keep to get us to buy more. the same thing happened to the mack sleeper if you have ever seen it. it was given to r+l to keep to try and get us to buy more. think about it why would we fully decal it, install radio equipment, qualcom and a full service on a truck that we are going to use for 6mths. yes a full service on a new truck don't know why but this i know for a fact. ask gregg night super.