Diabetes and Trucking

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
I am a Type 2 Diabetic since 2007 and used to struggle with that Blood Glucose meter but I have changed my lifestyle to be honest the reason I was gone for the most part for 2 years is because I felt bad all the time, couldn't concentrate and couldn't stay focused. I was up multiple times a night having to pee and never felt rested when I woke up. Now I sleep all night and never get up for a bathroom visit. I usually drive a 550 mile or so when I work and sometimes would have to stop 4 times to kick a tire on just one leg of the run. You see the body tries to flush the sugar from your blood by making you urinate, the higher your Blood Glucose the more you have to urinate. Diabetes will kill you, it will wreck your eyes, your kidneys and your circulation , it killed my mother. I neglected my Diabetes for years until a friend from work motivated me to change. I am lucky, I caught mine before any known damage to my body. Type 2 Diabetics are twice as likely to die from a stroke or a heart attack than non diabetics. So I am start telling you my secrets to maintaining your blood sugar.

You need to eat 2 things Meat and green veggies moderate amount of cheese and never let anything with flour or sugar touch your lips again. You can replace anything you make with white flour with almond flour and replace sugar with liquid stevia. Over the next few days I will be sharing my secrets to help those who are struggling and I will bring my friend in here at a later date who has mastered this. By the way, this is a normal reading nowadays for me, so good the Dr. took me off one of my D medicines and now I only take metformin. it's sideways but you know what it means if you have D

5fsqMou.jpg

Jeff in your diet do avoid the natural sugars that are in fruits and many vegetables or is it the processed types you steer clear of.

sugar is sugar is sugar regardless where it comes from, it reacts the same way for diabetics... If you need fruit eat a couple of strabberrys rasberries or blueberries

Here is your first recipe... a low carb bread substitute made here by my wife.. You can make you a breakfast sandwich, a cheeseburger or whatever you use your bread for and won't get the blood sugar spike...

Here is your first recipe... a low carb bread substitute made here by my wife.. You can make you a breakfast sandwich, a cheeseburger or whatever you use your bread for and won't get the blood sugar spike...
What’s your thoughts on diet sodas? I’m Italian and I love pasta. Is pasta really that bad? I’m pre-diabetic type 2 ... What are things that I should avoid at all cost?

What’s your thoughts on diet sodas? I’m Italian and I love pasta. Is pasta really that bad? I’m pre-diabetic type 2 ... What are things that I should avoid at all cost?
I drink maybe 1 diet soda per week, I mainly stick to water

Pasta is a no for diabetics, way too carby but you can buy a spaghetti Squash and and load it up with real alfredo sauce

The more I research this the more I get depressed. Damn near everything I love to eat I can’t. The lifestyle of a trucker has taken it’s toll. My Dr. said I could probably avoid metformin if I completely change my diet and start exercising. That’s not going to be easy for a 63 year old man that loves his food.

Great, informative thread Jeff....

Thanks!

I'd add that this sound advice shouldn't be just for diabetics only.... If people would adopt healthy eating habits sooner, rather than later, a lot of maladies could be avoided, including diabetes.........

Now I sleep all night and never get up for a bathroom visi

Glad you're feeling better these days..... Everything you say about type 2 diabetes is true..... I wish young people today would adapt better and healthier eating and lifestyle choices..... I can only imagine how much worse the upcoming generations health will as they age.......
Good to see your participation more..... We may respectfully disagree on some things, but that is what makes this a good forum.... As far as health goes, we are all on the same page.... Good health is vital for everyone!

The more I research this the more I get depressed. Damn near everything I love to eat I can’t. The lifestyle of a trucker has taken it’s toll. My Dr. said I could probably avoid metformin if I completely change my diet and start exercising. That’s not going to be easy for a 63 year old man that loves his food.
although i am not a diabetic, i cannot eat all sorts of things i used to as well.

on the diabetic note, on another truckers message board, someone asked, how long does it take to get a waiver if you have type II and are on insulin?

i thought one could not ever drive, then i looked it up, apparently one can get a waiver, but it may take several months?

I just changed my diet and the way I live. I went from an eat anything diet to a strict 2000 calorie diet plus walking at least 2-3 miles a day on the road, light strength training and the gym on the days I’m home. I’m also a type 2 diabetic and on merformin. So far, the changes I’m seeing on the monitor and on the BP monitor are pretty nice. Plus lost 5 pounds already. The one thing that can’t be stressed enough to diabetics is to KEEP MOVING.

I just changed my diet and the way I live. I went from an eat anything diet to a strict 2000 calorie diet plus walking at least 2-3 miles a day on the road, light strength training and the gym on the days I’m home. I’m also a type 2 diabetic and on merformin. So far, the changes I’m seeing on the monitor and on the BP monitor are pretty nice. Plus lost 5 pounds already. The one thing that can’t be stressed enough to diabetics is to KEEP MOVING.
Congrats Joseph1135 on your new journey to better health!!.... Best of luck and long-term success!

Congrats Joseph1135 on your new journey to better health!!.... Best of luck and long-term success!
It’s pretty amazing, to be honest. I thought this would be a lot harder. It’s actually not. I cut red meat plus diet soda from my diet as well and I can’t tell you how much better I feel and also how much mentally better I feel. It’s weird how some foods can be detrimental to your mental health as well as your physical health.

It’s pretty amazing, to be honest. I thought this would be a lot harder. It’s actually not. I cut red meat plus diet soda from my diet as well and I can’t tell you how much better I feel and also how much mentally better I feel. It’s weird how some foods can be detrimental to your mental health as well as your physical health.

Real food is medicine..... It can help maintain health, or even reverse the effects of some health issues

Manufacturered "food" and the toxins that are put into it is what's causing the problems.... Getting rid of the processed "food" in our diets can have a dramatic impact on our lives.....

I’m Italian too. And the pasta thing kills me. But the diet sodas should never be a regular part of your diet. They are one of the worst things to put in your body.