FedEx Freight | Did FEDEX do it right or did they do it wrong on the merger?

Did FEDEX do it right or did they do it wrong on the merger?

• They did it right

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • They did it wrong

Votes: 72 43.1%
  • Just be thankful you have a job

Votes: 33 19.8%

• Total voters
You and me and the knot on the wall DODN"T MATTER! When are people going to get it. Corporate greed!!!!!!!!!!!! NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS THE BOTTEM LINE, THIS IS WHAT COUNTS. You can't own a company this size and worry about individuals. We are pawns on a chess board. You need to quit taking this personal. Last year F. Smith said right on CNBC business news he wants 25% of the market. And dodn't think some of this doesn't have anything to with YRC. Bull^%$#!!!!!!!!!!!! I emailed many uppers in the last 3 months all said national was needed, yet I said stop it we are all not that stupid. It wasnt that hard to figure out.

:stirthepot: As it was put forth in our little meeting, we were told that this concept has never been done in the LTL business. That's a lot of Bull. American Freightways was hauling all this freight before they bought Watkins. What, do they think we are stupid? That we have forgot where most of us come from? It's insulting to a lot of us. We were told that buying Watkin's was to gain access points into Canada and get away from using Day & Ross as they were to expensive. Who in their wildest imagination would think they would develope another truck line that they would have to have equipment and personnel along with facilites to move the freight. Why try to change the image if it already works. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it!! Now it's broke and we may never find all the pieces to put it back together again.

WRONG!

I've been at Fedex Freight for a long time now and I think them buying a company and then letting them be put in front of us on the senority boards is a darn shame.
It just goes to show, that they have no idea how hard we have worked over the years to get them these profits to be able to buy Watkins. It's a total lack of respect, and human decency. All we have worked towards is going to be gone and given to a company's drivers that wasn't even apart of us when they were racking up money off our backs.

All I know is every time managment screws up we pay for it. I think they sould let all managment dovetail into there spots to. Then it would be fair. If managment at freight thinks this is the best why not for them. Would love to see the csm face then when he is bumped out of a job. We are all just numbers here . I really feel sorry for all the new hires freight just put on in the last few months. I guess the can feel the purple promise.Hope must did not quit a job to take this one. Managment knew this was comming why hire so many new people just to let them go 6 months later. Again it because managment DON"T care about us. The best of luck to everyone and remember we don't make the rules we just have to live with them. So all we can do is wait and see how it all falls out.

Just out of curiosity,how many drivers on the Freight side received a better run than they had after the purchase of Watkins?How many where hired after the purchase of Watkins.What I'm getting at is I didn't ask for this but They being Fedex ***** a billion dollar company to its death and some of you benefited from it. First they gave you guys our 1 and 2 day lanes. Our Canadian freight.So what I'm saying some of you might just be going back to where you where 4 years ago,Some not all. All we our left with is garbage freight that doesn't pay the bills at National. They knew this was coming at the buyout. So not to **** anyone off its been four years of hell here, and I know as soon as some one this they will say why didn't you just quit. Well go find a job in this screwed up economy. I feel greatly sorry for everyone that is effected and will be without employment. It will cause divorces.bankruptcy, and yes even deaths to some over the stress. Thats illnesses deaths not threats so I will clear that up now. So I hope when the Smoke clears we can get along as one and not hate each other.This was solely caused by Fedex ,not by a Freight driver or a National driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with most of what you say. However, FedEx could not care less about what happens to their employees. They didn't care about the full time dockworkers with 18 years or more invested, they didn't care about their families, and they didn't care about the up-tick in damaged freight because of hiring college kids who need book and beer money. There is a glut of drivers now. People will take any job they can find. Employees mean about as much to FedEx as a pallet jack. Useful until they need to be fixed, then we'll just buy another one.

The merge had to happen. It should have happened at the git go. We'd be used to it and more stable. Instead, they waited until now for reasons that I don't understand. They announce it and leave the SC managers swinging in the wind looking stupid because they can't answer the most basic questions about the merger other than handing out a couple of sheets of paper that gives no information except for a time line.

I expect we'll get more "it's not a problem, it's an opportunity" & "think of how many would love to have your job" speeches and slick handouts in the months to come. Please, save your time corporate. Save the travel expense of sending out cubicle dwellers to the real work areas and save the printing costs. We don't buy it anymore.
Pretty well said ,the only thing I would add is read the first paragraph of the misson statement it explain the whole thing

Ya know what, I'm an old fart and been in this industry longer than I care to remember. I remember when being a driver was something special. I.m sad to say that is no longer the case. Why did FXNL hire anyone at all during the past year,knowing that they would be cut in a merger? You gotta be some cold hearted SOB to do crap
like that. I would like to think I'll make the cut but the reality is another thing. I know I.m not alone and many of us will be dumped at the roadside. I guess i'm just bitter 'cause if I'd know this I never would have left where I was. So, what have I got to look forward to? I'm so sick of hearing people trying to justify this crap with the " It's the numbers " thing. Hey Fred! news flash, people work here ( or at least used too! ) I guess I'm just an old angry unemployed truck driver, I'm in good company.

:hide: It's all about the numbers and if you can't make the numbers look good for the bean counters who tell upper management they can't afford to pay for their golf tournaments,race cars and football fields they get a little edgey. We are the numbers and to eliminate costs to the company they eliminate us and then moan and groan about how we aren't getting the job done. We can't get things done when all of our help has been let go and all the people who have been hired to replace don't know enough about it to care. When you try to explain something to them about loading a trailer the right way they look at you like you have 3 heads, go bay it up and leave it for you or the driver to load it at the last moment. Their is no pride in doing the job the right way the first time around.

Ok. I'm just gonna say it. When it looked as though YRC was going under, companies like UPS freight accepted a butt load of applications in case they needed to do a mass hiring they'd have a good app pool.
What did FedEx national do?? They hired an assload of people and sat them home waiting by the phone and now they are letting let go. Their just warm bodies, and the don't give a {edited}

Weak Ones !!!! Give me a break.

let me tell you ,merging sucks, reddaway and bestway, they were suposed to take the best of both companys ,but they didnt,all those guy that worked for bestway and sucked got to come over with all there strap they all should be new hires that the way it should be for you guys ,that way they can weed out the weak.
Just what the hell make you think that anyone at Freight is above and beyond anybody at National. Son you are very VAIN. Vanity in it's self is a weakness. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Frankly I'm sick and tired of listening to everyone cry about it. There is nothing any of us can do about it. All we can do is play the hand we are dealt. As for me I have been at National for a LONG time. But I can not change any of what has happened. But what I am going to do is take the money and move on. That will let somebody behind that has a family a chance to maybe keep their job. God Bless you all and quit the bickering amoung each other.
:6781: :guiness:

I had posted earlier in this thread, but one choice was left out of the poll.
4. It's too early to tell.
Tomorrow will be the day when more information will come out. I'll just sit back
and wait to see what the outcome is at my terminal.

FedEx is a corp., it doesn't smile and say "good morning" when you come to work. People do! It doesn't ask you about your kids or how your weekend was. Our people do. FedEx can't smile, joke, kid, show concern, listen, help, talk, remember birthdays, have a charity drive to sponsor a needy family for Christmas. But, my terminal, the people I worked with at Watkins/Fedkins/National did all that. Maybe, the ones lucky enough to keep a job, can take that with them to Freight. I think, if we show respect, we will get it in return. We know that we can do the job, so show them at Freight, how good we really are. No, I didn't drink the "Purple cool-ade" it's WHISKEY, 10-4 And to my old meet, Mr PENN STATE, I hate them Buckeyes too, "Thanks for the call"!

You mean the same corporation with the slick posters that tell us how much we mean to them? That corporation?

When you say "how good we are", you of course mean "how good we are allowed to be" right? I've been around when we were MUCH better than we ever are on our best day now. When Snapshot gets everyone's panties in a wad and and hub & spoke means being inefficient, and more important that doing right by the customer, we aren't being all that "good".

We aren't all that. We have some serious operational problems that need to be addressed by clear thinking people. I don't hold out much hope of finding people like that in Harrison.

I don't intend to show disrespect to anyone coming on board. I'm betting my fellow workers don't either. But there's going to be tension, on both sides.

I had posted earlier in this thread, but one choice was left out of the poll.
4. It's too early to tell.
Tomorrow will be the day when more information will come out. I'll just sit back
and wait to see what the outcome is at my terminal.

I'll be surprised if there is that much more information. FedEx is famous for saying as little as possible to the largest number of people that need to know.

I'll be surprised if there is that much more information. FedEx is famous for saying as little as possible to the largest number of people that need to know.

Agreed!^^ The so called info sheet that was handed out Friday morning has the appearance of a playbook from the NFL.
Strictly by dates and what will occur. Being kept on a "need to know" basis is a pita, but that's the way they are, and won't
change for anyone.

I have said that this was going to happen years ago on this board and was told no way no matter what facts I posted. I think it should of happened sooner, but I am not aware of what legal ramifications there may have been to just combine the companies at the get go. I am sorry for the people who will lose there jobs, but we have to get profitable and it makes sense not to duplicate services.

A key part of the purchase of Watkins, in Sept '06 was a 2 yr moratorium or "hands off" policy in regards to termination of former Watkins employees. My wife and I prided ourselves in the relationships and friendships that we made at various terminals. Fast forward to the day after Labor Day '08, and the majority of those folks, as well as TMs were flying out the door like a building was on fire. Let the purge begin! The new folks in dispatch were the most unfriendly people we had ever encountered.

I think right is a relative term. They did it better than anyone else I've seen in 25 years of driving. That being said, Like all the rest , I don't believe for one moment that they thought this through and exstrapilated this out to it's final conclusion. things like, Why close a 45 truck terminal in Shamrock on I-40 and displace twice as many drivers in lieu of another terminal with 7 drivers and a smaller yard (by 75%) 55 miles away in hopes of combining the two yards. And the severance "contract" has holes in it big enough to drive a set through. Why don't they offer early retirement to older drivers first and cash buyouts to drivers that have been here a very short time and see what happens then. I wish everyone good luck and Godspeed

Ok. I'm just gonna say it. When it looked as though YRC was going under, companies like UPS freight accepted a butt load of applications in case they needed to do a mass hiring they'd have a good app pool.
What did FedEx national do?? They hired an assload of people and sat them home waiting by the phone and now they are letting let go. Their just warm bodies, and the don't give a {edited}

Totally Agree !! because it is happening too Me !