XPO | Did I make the right choice? FedEx over Conway

blue4242

TB Lurker
Credits
I recently had a call for an interview with conway, after talking to a driver and reading these forums I decided not to take the job. FedEx freight called me, I had the interview and waiting on background check. I'm going to go with fedex but I'm wondering if I made the right choice. What do you think?

I'm sorry you based your decision on these boards. I don't know if it was the right decision, only time will tell. I'm sure each company has it's highs and lows. I just think that reading these boards, you mostly get the lows. I honestly hope it works out for you.

In my opinion, you most certainly did. From my observations after more than a decade of inconsistent leadership and policies that are very general and subjective to say the least, your choice was well made. I would have been a FedEx employee also, but at the time of my opportunity they were still American Freightways and I personally thought they were going the way of Viking Freight.....OUT OF BUSINESS. One of those missed calculations in my life once again.

well this might be a bit bias but..........I DO think that you made the right decision. I truly think you will love it. It is NOT the perfect job but most of the folks that "complain" about FedEx probably complain about the time of day. Talk with FISH if you are in the TOL center and he will give you an honest assessment of the company.

You made a good careerer choice. It's not just these boards where a bad attitude prevails. It's in our currant worker ranks and out on the streets, I meet ever increasing ex-Conway drivers. When we really started to grow 20 years ago, we developed a reputation.

Unfortunately, the rep we groom today is very different from before. This board is but a sliver of representative perception.

You made the right choice,I been at Con-way for 20 years now,it's too late for me to move,Fedex is not perfect,they have some of the same problems Con-way has but atleast they have a pension,The trucks are better,they can even do the speed limit on 65mph roads! Con-way cut our trucks back to 62 to save fuel,but there using more!!! Now there too embarrased to turn them back up,Fedex is a 40 Billion dollar company,Con-way is a 5 billion,Who do you think will be around longer? It's a no brainer!Good Luck at Fedex,You made the right move.

I recently had a call for an interview with conway, after talking to a driver and reading these forums I decided not to take the job. FedEx freight called me, I had the interview and waiting on background check. I'm going to go with fedex but I'm wondering if I made the right choice. What do you think?

Yes you did. I'm in a spot where I could have someone get hired at our terminal both in the office and as a DSR and have been approached many times: I turn them all away from Con-way.

Conway is as they say a 4 billion dollar company...fedex is like a 13 billion dollar company...i would venture to say when the economy has tumbled to nothing and there were but 3 companies in transportation left conway wouldnt be one of them where as fedex would...

Thats part of the reason I went with fedex, I want stability. FedEx isn't going anywhere. The operations manager told me they've never had a layoff.

Conway is as they say a 4 billion dollar company...fedex is like a 13 billion dollar company...i would venture to say when the economy has tumbled to nothing and there were but 3 companies in transportation left conway wouldnt be one of them where as fedex would...

good luck zathlon... each company has it own issues... try and find a guy named speed bird on the forums and he will tell you a few things about both companies. One will tell you to work at con way .. another will tell you fed ex .. time will tell .. good luck

Thats part of the reason I went with fedex, I want stability. FedEx isn't going anywhere. The operations manager told me they've never had a layoff.

Hey whats your address maybe someone on here could send you a brand spanking new, gay blue hat with gay blue flames on it...

I don`t know, just like the company says we are a dime a dozen, so are LTL carriers, in the end they all have their very own share of BS, You will go to full rate much quicker with FXF, but if you choose to switch your bid from L/H to P&D you go to the bottom of the board...... its almost like russian roulette

I have been with the company for almost 7 years. In that short time span I have witnessed more BS than the previous 15 years in the industry. You made the correct choice. Now that spring is here I am going too get out of here myself. If you asked me 5 years ago would I ever consider leaving I would have laughed my butt off. Conway has become something I do not want too be associated with. The future is what scares me because of the decisions and BS that happens on a daily basis. IMHO it does not look good for us as a whole.

its true fedex wont do lay offs, you will just sit home after you call in and they tell you theres no work for you.and its true if you go from linehaul to p&d (P&D to linehaul) you go to bottom of that board, and wonder how you are going to pay your bills.

The BS is going to be the same the only difference is the name on the truck. Freight needs to be delivered and it makes no difference if it is Con-Way or Fed-Ex or USF freight will be damaged and loads will be screwed up. The TM will be a jerk it is in all the job descriptions for TM's. Dispatch will wonder why you are late when you have not even gotten your bills. So welcome to LTL.