XPO | Did I make the right choice? FedEx over Conway

I would disagree. FedEx is a better company to work for!

Con-Way's management and training system is set up very much like LAIDLAW TRANSIT SYSTEM!

It is a company managed and based on a high turn over rate, not because the drivers are bad people or for that matter drivers.

However, they seek employment quickly elsewhere, due to bad management, equipment and other circumstances.

One of the things Con-way did, which is a good management style geared toward driver retention.

They began to train and trap youngmen and women , who have no idea how the trucking or transportation industry works.

They started an in house training program...for new drivers, and they began to train on transmissions that were not the norm in the industry....5 straight speed transmissions. I even hear they now road test in pups and not sets!

This is being done to help retain a majority of the drivers that participate in the training program stay with the company. THE TRAP!

As many do not know how to drive split or super 10 transmissions.

Very much how Laidlaw does, in order to keep the driver from going to a School District, for a better job environment.

Which Laidlaw / Con-way pays good money to train that individual. Usually top notch training with one hitch...a restriction or two, that other companies frown at!

With an in house training program with embedded equipment restrictions, drivers needed no experience necessary rear trailer door advertisements, is a clear sign of a company with driver retention issues.

FedEx was a better choice!

Amazing what people will actually believe.:chairshot::duh:

:toxic: No, what's really amazing is that dopes actually drive OTR for this kind of wage. The sad fact is people are being exploited for their ignorace.

I figured thats how they avoid layoffs. And I agree the switching boards deal is :shit:ty. But the way I look at it, fxf is still 100 times better than the place I work now.

its true fedex wont do lay offs, you will just sit home after you call in and they tell you theres no work for you.and its true if you go from linehaul to p&d (P&D to linehaul) you go to bottom of that board, and wonder how you are going to pay your bills.

Simple grammer

Bulldog, if you are meaning "they are" when you type "there", you should type "they're" instead. :Poke:

The only thing I can say is how many ex-conway drivers work at fedex frt and how many ex-fxf drivers work at conway.... It is totally lopsided in one direction I can tell you that for sure.

I worked at CSE back in '95 in Charlotte, N.C. and they treated their drivers like CRAP. CDL at conway means certified dock laborer........

The only thing I can say is how many ex-conway drivers work at fedex frt and how many ex-fxf drivers work at conway.... It is totally lopsided in one direction I can tell you that for sure.

How about how many experienced driver at all come too work at conway? I know, very, very, very little. Even with out pay which is usually higher than most other ltl carriers we dont get the veterans. I wonder why???:biglaugh:

How about how many experienced driver at all come too work at conway? I know, very, very, very little. Even with out pay which is usually higher than most other ltl carriers we dont get the veterans. I wonder why???:biglaugh:

Word is out that they're dicks to work for. It's not always about the money. When will these boneheads figure out that we talk to other drivers.

I heard the word, in turn they lost a potential employee. I've heard that about conway too from people who don't even work there; its amazing how much trickles down the grapevine of truckers.

Word is out that they're dicks to work for. It's not always about the money. When will these boneheads figure out that we talk to other drivers.

con-way definitely abuses their drivers. especially the ones on the flex. sit around all day by the phone, cant do anything cause you never know when the phone is gonna ring but after being up all day since 7am be ready at 5pm for them to call you for a road run.... :duh:

I worked at CSE back in '95 in Charlotte, N.C. and they treated their drivers like CRAP. CDL at conway means certified dock laborer........

Jeff & Truckingboard is AWESOME!

I heard the word, in turn they lost a potential employee. I've heard that about conway too from people who don't even work there; its amazing how much trickles down the grapevine of truckers.

You will be much happier going elsewhere. If I had too start all over and had no experience I would rather work for werner or any other crappy OTR company for a year and gain experience before I would ever consider conway. Its a shame because I've said it before, things have gotten horrible the last few years and I am usually very optimistic about life and things in general but we are done! Stick a fork in conway and move on. Actually without the website I bet many others would be hating themselves for taking a job here too. Kudos too Jeff for creating the best trucking related website I've ever been around!:

You will be much happier going elsewhere. If I had too start all over and had no experience I would rather work for werner or any other crappy OTR company for a year and gain experience before I would ever consider conway. Its a shame because I've said it before, things have gotten horrible the last few years and I am usually very optimistic about life and things in general but we are done! Stick a fork in conway and move on. Actually without the website I bet many others would be hating themselves for taking a job here too. Kudos too Jeff for creating the best trucking related website I've ever been around!:

I would not go so far as to say Werner or a similar Coolie OTR carrier is better than Con-Way. At least when you are riding the bottom of the board you are sitting at home rather than in some dumpy truck stop in BFE.

With turnover as high as it's been here, there are a lot more drivers out there that used to work for Conway than work for Conway now. Most of those tried to survive the flex wheel, the split shaft, and a "there's the door if you don't like it" attitude. Most were simply starved out.​

They are talking too.

CONWAY WESTER EXPRESS-the one day JOB-in 1990

With turnover as high as it's been here, there are a lot more drivers out there that used to work for Conway than work for Conway now. Most of those tried to survive the flex wheel, the split shaft, and a "there's the door if you don't like it" attitude. Most were simply starved out.​

They are talking too.

I would agree. I am trying to get my son out of there right now! He has a little more than a year there now at Con-Way! He never has a set schedule. They call the house all times of the night and his cell phone! HE DID NOT LISTEN TO ME...NOW HE IS...SAD, SAD ALL THE TIME!

He is going crazy with this... He will go in for three days on a set time! Get off all diffrent times of the day. Then gets called in all times of the DAY!

I have a lot more to say about Conway...,but I will not!

I will say this...about 18 years ago. I was working for a CITY job in Los Angeles. We went on a two month furlough in the summer...to start up a year round transit program geared for the school district. So, I decided to go on the 8 week furlough list. While the plan was implemented.

A week before I went on furlough I decided to put in an application for driver for a company called CSX or CSE or CWE...which is now Conway! (CONWAY WESTERN EXPRESS)

I was called into the Los Angeles terminal off Alameda Street...is that still there? I filled out the application and interviewed the same day, as well as road tested.

Basicly hired on the spot!

I was told to come in on Monday evening I think 6pm. I dressed in my best uniform, shined my shoes, belt...remember those days....grabbed my driving attache case...(BRIEF CASE-THE OLD SAMSONITE ONES WITH THE CLICKING LATCHES ON BOTH ENDS) and drove to the terminal.

Walked up the ramp into the office and the guy yells out, the new guy is here. Some young guy comes and gets me and says put your stuff right here...I do. He says...can you drive a fork lift. I looked at him and says, I have never driven a fork lift in my life.

He says ok...do not worry...JULIO he screams out and a young guy comes over to me and says hey you can help me...YEAH GO WITH JULIO and help him stack a load of DILLARDS floor product.

I was like OK...what the...where is the truck and my trainer...I WAS THINKING!

So, Julio and I stack boxes and more boxes..from 630 til about 8pm. During that time Julio says to me...HE USE TO WORK FOR WILLIG....REMEMBER THEM! They had been let go...as I was not aware of that...as I worked for the CITY OF LOS ANGELES, but saw their trucks parked and not moving...off 28th street. YEARS AGO! Julio stated that he was like 22 and had a CDL, but they trick you and you have to work the dock....MAYBE you can go out on the road later in the night. I was like what...they never mentioned dock work.

Later that night....the young guy on the dock indicates that since I can not drive a fork lift that I would go and move rolls of carpets from a trailer to another trailer going to SEA...never will forget this...NIGHT ever!

I moved like four of those carpet rolls, , looked down at my now un-shined shoes and my now reeking cologne and sat down on the carpet at the nose of the trailer. About an hour of sitting...I heard the DOCK guy say hey where is the new guy...They all started looking in the trailers and calling my name. I go up and walked out of the trailer and said I am going to the restroom. I went into the break room, grabbed my jacket, my atache case...brief case and went down the side steps, got into my 190 E 1.6 and hit the 60 freeway home.

Can you believe they called and tried to schedule me for work the next day...and never said anything about what I did...and how I left. I did not show that Tuesday, and they called all week. Sent my one day check...

About six months later! I get a letter saying I had enough time in to transfer to Buena Park...or something like that.

I was thinking they must really be pressed for people.

So, when I trained my son to drive a tractor trailer, I wanted him to go with a friend of mine that works his trucks in the 11 western states to get the experience.

A few days after getting his license he came home and said he found a company named Con-Way that would let him drive locally like I was doing... (THEIR APRENTICE PROGRAM)

I FEEL NOW AFTER MY SON WENT THROUGH THE PROGRAM, IT IS GEARED TO KEEP GUYS LIKE ME FROM GETTING OUT OF THERE AS QUICKLY AS I DID...AND I JUST WANTED TO WORK THERE PART TIME AS A DRIVER!
I told him the story....that I just told you guys, he did not believe me then, but he surely does now!

I would agree. I am trying to get my son out of there right now! He has a little more than a year there now at Con-Way! He never has a set schedule. They call the house all times of the night and his cell phone! HE DID NOT LISTEN TO ME...NOW HE IS...SAD, SAD ALL THE TIME!

He is going crazy with this... He will go in for three days on a set time! Get off all diffrent times of the day. Then gets called in all times of the DAY!

I will say this...about 18 years ago. I was working for a CITY job in Los Angeles. We went on a two month furlough in the summer...to start up a year round transit program geared for the school district. So, I decided to go on the 8 week furlough list. While the plan was implemented.

A week before I went on furlough I decided to put in an application for driver for a company called CSX or CSE or CWE...which is now Conway! (CONWAY WESTERN EXPRESS)

I was called into the Los Angeles terminal off Alameda Street...is that still there? I filled out the application and interviewed the same day, as well as road tested.

I was told to come in on Monday evening I think 6pm. I dressed in my best uniform, shined my shoes, belt...remember those days....grabbed my driving attache case...(BRIEF CASE-THE OLD SAMSONITE ONES WITH THE CLICKING LATCHES ON BOTH ENDS) and drove to the terminal.

Walked up the ramp into the office and the guy yells out, the new guy is here. Some young guy comes and gets me and says put your stuff right here...I do. He says...can you drive a fork lift. I looked at him and says, I have never driven a fork lift in my life.

He says ok...do not worry...JULIO he screams out and a young guy comes over to me and says hey you can help me...YEAH GO WITH JULIO and help him stack a load of DILLARDS floor product.

So, Julio and I stack boxes and more boxes..from 630 til about 8pm. During that time Julio says to me...HE USE TO WORK FOR WILLIG....REMEMBER THEM! They had been let go...as I was not aware of that...as I worked for the CITY OF LOS ANGELES, but saw their trucks parked and not moving...off 28th street. YEARS AGO! Julio stated that he was like 22 and had a CDL, but they trick you and you have to work the dock....MAYBE you can go out on the road later in the night. I was like what...they never mentioned dock work.

Later that night....the young guy on the dock indicates that since I can not drive a fork lift that I would go and move rolls of carpets from a trailer to another trailer going to SEA...never will forget this...NIGHT ever!

I moved like four of those carpet rolls, , looked down at my now un-shined shoes and my now reeking cologne and sat down on the carpet at the nose of the trailer. About an hour of sitting...I heard the DOCK guy say hey where is the new guy...They all started looking in the trailers and calling my name. I go up and walked out of the trailer and said I am going to the restroom. I went into the break room, grabbed my jacket, my atache case...brief case and went down the side steps, got into my 190 E 1.6 and hit the 60 freeway home.

Can you believe they called and tried to schedule me for work the next day...and never said anything about what I did...and how I left. I did not show that Tuesday, and they called all week. Sent my one day check...

About six months later! I get a letter saying I had enough time in to transfer to Buena Park...or something like that.

So, when I trained my son to drive a tractor trailer, I wanted him to go with a friend of mine that works his trucks in the 11 western states to get the experience.

A few days after getting his license he came home and said he found a company named Con-Way that would let him drive locally like I was doing...

I told him the story....that I just told you guys, he did not believe me then, but he surely does now!

Almost everything is accurate I'm sure, except one very glaring fact. CWX didn't go to Seattle in 1990. We didn't start doing the Northwest until '92 or '93. Good story though.

A few days after getting his license he came home and said he found a company named Con-Way that would let him drive locally like I was doing... (THEIR APRENTICE PROGRAM)

I FEEL NOW AFTER MY SON WENT THROUGH THE PROGRAM, IT IS GEARED TO KEEP GUYS LIKE ME FROM GETTING OUT OF THERE AS QUICKLY AS I DID...AND I JUST WANTED TO WORK THERE PART TIME AS A DRIVER!
If you would have stayed for a year or so you would've liked it and would even have 18 years seniority now. It's probably better that you quit. If you work at Conway you got to be willing to do some work. Drivers do all the work.

Well, I worked for L.A. Unified as a driver. I was not looking for full time work...they had adverstised for part time Class A truck driver.

They did not mention anything in the LA times, that dock work was part of the job. Even at the interview, they never mentioned anything about a FORK LIFT.

So, I had this mis-conception. So, you can imagine what was going through my mind when I was put on the dock!

HAS THIS HAPPENED BEFORE? I TELL THIS STORY A FEW TIMES A YEAR AS MY ONLY ONE DAY JOB!

But, I love Con-way so much, I gave my oldest son to you guys.

No, I never had a beef with what happened, it was just coming from a City Job and going to work there part time during my furlough and weekends, it just threw me for a loop, how they did the bait and switch on me. Plus they did not take any time to hire me...it was like whiff bamm boom!

That is why I was also surprised that my son indicated they had an aprentice program...even though he had his class A, they still required him for...about 4.5 months to go to some class for four hours and then worked him on the dock from four till mid-night.

Once he passed that class he was guaranteed a position on the dock, but at a higher pay grade.

That was smart on their part..., plus he stated to me that they trained on five speed transmissions. Which five of the guys that were in his class with him only thought existed in a tractor!

Meaning, one gentleman left his position after being trained and went to another company. Did great on all his paper work and interview, but did not pass the road test as the company has super tens, and other split shift transmissions.

WHICH MADE ME THINK OF LAIDLAW...A CONTRACTOR TRANSIT COMPANY FOR LA SCHOOL BOARD.

One gentleman posted that it was not SEA, it may not have been, but I do remember all the letters on the trucks and trailers...some were green or blueish and some were orange, or brown...Even some of the frames were painted greenish blue.

Does that terminal still exist in Los Angeles of Alamenda and Washinton street. It was on Doss street, or Dun Street...something like that...

Why did they make your son do dock-to-driver if he already had his CDL?

I've seen plenty of people who could barely get past the DMV test with the ink still drying on their CDLs hired at drivers. One actually had two stupid preventables in one day.

Yes..the bait and switch hiring practices continue to this day. The other thing they often "forget" to mention in the whole process is that you will be on-call.

The silly thing is at any of the larger terminals like ULA or USB they could easily have a AM and PM flex board. Or heck have a combined call board for the LA basin.

Yes..the bait and switch hiring practices continue to this day. The other thing they often "forget" to mention in the whole process is that you will be on-call.

Only the bad TM's and Personnel Supervisor's use that practice to get a body onboard.
It is totally wrong because they are messing with the lives of people who need to make a life changing event in their lives.
That in itself is the seed that starts the future hatred towards Con-way, the high turnover rate and negative word of mouth.

It's very easy to suck in any applicant by sugar coating everything.
In some areas, you can make a person think the 5.3 years to top scale is the best thing ever.

However, it's also possible to tell a future newbie all the negative scenarios of Con-way and give them the opportunity to accept or decline.
You make yourself appear open and honest and not seem like you have a stethoscope looking for a pulse.

Also:
Truckingboards is actually a good place to go, short of getting hired and finding out the good and the bad yourself.
Take the info you find here and challenge them with that knowledge.

Why did they make your son do dock-to-driver if he already had his CDL?

I've seen plenty of people who could barely get past the DMV test with the ink still drying on their CDLs hired at drivers. One actually had two stupid preventables in one day.

The silly thing is at any of the larger terminals like ULA or USB they could easily have a AM and PM flex board. Or heck have a combined call board for the LA basin.

I am not sure why they had him work the dock...like that?

He went to Conway with a Class A CDL,even had a passenger endorsement.

They put him in the aprentice class. Was going in around 12-4 as a student. Then from 4-12 am he worked the dock. After about six weeks of that...they started him hooking up sets in the yard, then working the dock.

A few weeks after that, he graduated and started going in at 4 pm working the docks, then going out to do swaps, and then back to work the dock.

Then a few weeks after that, he was asked to come in at 8 am to work a guy shift that was out for FML! Family Medical Leave. He worked that route for about 5 weeks, then he started coming in at 11 am working another guys route, and working the dock later in the evening.

Then he was able to bid. Got put on a some sort of board....so for about three weeks they would call him in at all diffrent times in the morning. About three week of that, he was put on another route that started at 10 am, worked that route for about four weeks, and then back to call in all morning and then dock work.

He then chose to three routes to bid, did not get any of them. He was put back on the board and the phone calls did not come any more from dispatch. So, he started calling in the morning, at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 am. They would indicated no work do not come in...and he would wind down...and the phone would ring about 1 pm, telling him to come in...he started getting all fed up with the mess.

So, a few weeks of the phone tag, they put him on a 11 am start route going to the desert. He would call me and say, the freight is all late, and the customers either were, cussing him out, and or the freight was blocking his other deliveries. Which made for a bad day for him at that time.

He called me once and let me hear a customer, cussing him out with a late delivery, and a lift gate was needed.

So, right now...at this moment...he is a wreck and want to get out of Con-Way so bad....

He has a few applications in, even at my outfit. He is sort of like, just going in....and not really interested in the company any more.

It is really funny, as my son is a really good guy. Quite and really into people and learning new things. However, one recent Saturday, we all went out for dinner and his cell phone rang about 3 pm and a dispatcher was telling him, that his name was on a list to be called...senority wise....to come in to work! My son was like, you did not have work for me on Friday....so, why call me this late on Saturday to come to work....based on a senority list. He had been taking PTO days in place of not going in to work!

So, that night my son explained that...he felt a lot of the new apprentice drivers that were trained after his class, were now being able to come in to work the earlier start shifts of guys that were out on vacations or FML.

So, he was starting to see some kind of games. He is still employeed with Con-Way, and is not a happy camper.

My son is starting to have a permanent scowl on his brow...like us old guys!