XPO | Dirty Trucks

Wore out seats, dashboards broken, breakerboxes loose and rattling. Thats even in the 06's. Got a point.

We have a 1999 unit on the yard that had the fuse block cover fall off and the fuse block is borke. It was suspended in the open hole with zip ties. I was embarresed to drive it.

conway does not care about there trucks barns and falling apart xde truck wash was closed in the spring there trucks look the worst there garage dont care welcome to the new conway

Not long ago 5-6 years ago, The IMAGE that the company wanted to put out to the customers and the public was everything. Good looking and equipment upkeep was a high priority. Now dirty trucks, wireties and ductape is a priority in the effort to save money. With brokedown equipment and accidents what's next? We start looking like a dirtball trucking company and a DOT target. CSA2110 on it's way, and so do the viloations. I have said it a few times before, but....... What's the first thing that C.F. cut costs on? The equipment maintenance. What's this equipment going to be like in another year? If a truck is going to make it another how is it going to run? Like a Briggs and Stratton? We have trucks at our S.C. that come back from P.M's that in a good DOT inspection would get shutdown and red tagged. SOMEBODY in XGO maintenance better wake up before there are no more trucks to drive. I challange everyone to do this. When your hooking your trailers, look at the freeplay in the 5th wheel. Max slop is 3/16" Any more than that you will get shut down for. We at our SC. have trucks with up to 1/2" of freeplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I E-mailed Ask the law.com. Here was the response: In Part 393.70 is where you will find the requirements for the 5th wheel
requirements. Any play between the upper and lower is a violation. There
has to be more than 3/8 inch movement for the vehicle to meet the
Out-of-Service Criteria

I E-mailed Ask the law.com. Here was the response: In Part 393.70 is where you will find the requirements for the 5th wheel
requirements. Any play between the upper and lower is a violation. There
has to be more than 3/8 inch movement for the vehicle to meet the
Out-of-Service Criteria

Holland Simplex fifth wheel, which is on 95% + of our equipment, per factory documents, states any clearance (horizontal movement) in excess of 1/8" should be inspected by a qualified mechanic.

i agree, if having dirty trucks means saving money and reinstating the cuts, let the dirt come. If you guys are so worried about driving dirty trucks. wash them on your own time, or bette yet, run them through the blue beacon. lets just focuse

i agree, if having dirty trucks means saving money and reinstating the cuts, let the dirt come. If you guys are so worried about driving dirty trucks. wash them on your own time, or bette yet, run them through the blue beacon. lets just focuse

Let common sense prevail.

Is the company in such dire straits they can no longer afford to wash the equipment?...

Or is it the never-ending mentality that every thing is a crisis!...

If Con-Way is in such a financial position whereas they do not have the money to clean the equipment...then things are much worse than they are letting on.

I doubt that is the case.

But if it is...God help us all!.

Rat

Let common sense prevail.

Is the company in such dire straits they can no longer afford to wash the equipment?...

Or is it the never-ending mentality that every thing is a crisis!...

If Con-Way is in such a financial position whereas they do not have the money to clean the equipment...then things are much worse than they are letting on.

I doubt that is the case.

But if it is...God help us all!.

Rat
Very good point.

I think it's great we can't afford to wash the trucks but we can afford to power wash concrete in the USA yard money well spent, if it ain't broke let's break it so we can fix it and look like were doing something important!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This whole thing is rediculous. I understand trying to save money, but come on. Rather than leave the wash bay's open all week, why not have them open 1 day per week? The odd trucks on odd days didn't work, no one cared, no one watched, so it didn't save much. Simply open the bays once in a while. We are no longer allowed to wash trucks on a PM. The only thing we can is wash something that we have to wash to fix it, like a leak.

Dirty trucks is just as much a thorn in the shops spine as it is the DSR's. We get many many bad PM report cards for dirty trucks. Our shop manager passes them up the line the the field managers and I guess on to CGO from there. We don't like working on dirty trucks, DSR's don't like driving dirty trucks, it's not a good impression on customers. All around, it's a bad place to save save a few bucks.

why would anyone care so much about clean trucks. i would love to drive a clean tractor but the new con-way won't allow it so as long as the paycheck is there i will be here. they should worry about getting frt on the trailers in my neck of the woods dirty or not

Well the trucks at my barn are starting to look a little nasty. A little embarrassing going down the road in a new truck looking that bad. We have a hose and a brush on a stick but no soap of eany kind. Tryed using liquid hand soap to get the bugs off the windshield , not so good. About all we can do is turn on the wipers, squirt with the hose and in about 5 to 10 min it will be fair at best. Nasty looking trucks !!
Don't worry, the bugs will be gone in a few weeks, then they will really save some $!

heck,,,we have drivers at my barn stealing time washing their truck at the reship, and when they get back, by hand,,,,a soft broom is there and a half barrel of soap..... We have one that spit shines his grill.....