Estes | Disappointments on bid day.

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
A lot of drivers were surprised and disappointed on bid day. Some runs cut and several drivers transferring from other terminals caused many to be bumped. Im hoping the runs that were cut will come back when things pick up. With the transfers we who thought we had jumped ahead were knocked back. A lot of drivers lost their runs and several had to go back to nights and several others to wild board. It was very interesting and disappointing, but still have hope that things will get better if the economy will turn around. So far no lay offs, but they have cancelled runs on drivers. A few drivers where talking about maybe leaving. I guess if they are not getting enough miles to pay the bills i can see that. Some hard decisions may have to be made this year.

We’ve had several years of crazy growth and people forget that it’s normal for freight to slack up sometimes. Some years we get runs cut, sometimes they add some. Lanes get tweaked and moved all the time. Sometimes people transfer and mess your plans up. I have plans to transfer terminals next year and I’ll have a lot of folks mad at me where I go I’m sure.

So you guys can transfer anywhere needed and dove tail into your seniority spot? That’s good and bad, bet it pisses a lot of people off.
There’s a 90 day penalty period but yes after 90 days you retain seniority. It can suck but it’s also nice to be able to have your time count when life happens. I guess they figure if you have to start over you might be more likely to start over at another company so the 90 day penalty is a nice compromise.

Estes should Bid every 6 months. January to July.

Also If you transfer to an another terminal, city or road, you go to the bottom. You’ll still keep your company seniority, but your lose your job seniority.
I whole heartedly agree with bidding every 6 months. Disagree with going to the bottom. I’m ok with the current policy that you go to the bottom for the 60 days (I think it used to be 90 days) but after that you should be able to get your time and bid on any open runs.

The guys who bitch about it are the guys who haven’t been with the company very long. They usually change their attitude once they hit about 10 or 13 years with the company.

The guys who get mad enough to leave over it regret their decision a few years later when they see the sweet daytime bid they could’ve had if they’d just stayed put a little longer.

I’ve been forced from a bid back to extraboard before over people transferring in. Now I have time and I’ll probably be the guy who pisses everyone off. Can’t have it both ways.

I was hoping to get one of those 663 mile runs where I could stay at work 14 hours a day then drive home for enough time to sleep and stay tired all the time
And wear compression socks :frown new:
Done that , add the 1 to work and hour home 1 , so round it up to 17-18 in bad weather.
This is the truth Dew , for real.

I whole heartedly agree with bidding every 6 months. Disagree with going to the bottom. I’m ok with the current policy that you go to the bottom for the 60 days (I think it used to be 90 days) but after that you should be able to get your time and bid on any open runs.
It’s still 90 days, and it has to be a full 90 or more between the day you start and when the bid(s) are posted. I also wish we bid 2x a year.

I talked to a guy that's been with the company 20 years. He transferred to another terminal during the slow time in 08 when they did the RIF's.
He was cut also. Even though he had 20 years seniority, he said you lose everything for 90 days.
Rumor has it, they'll never do the RIF's again but just throwing that out there. If it were me, I'd transfer during a strong economy

When I was there, they had lifetime bids. Even though you got you seniority back after 90 days, you would have been stuck on the extra board until they added a run, someone quit, got fired, or died. Also if you bid a run, you had to stay on it for 90 days, so if a better run came up in that time, you we’re screwed. A junior guy could get the better mileage run.

When I was there, they had lifetime bids. Even though you got you seniority back after 90 days, you would have been stuck on the extra board until they added a run, someone quit, got fired, or died. Also if you bid a run, you had to stay on it for 90 days, so if a better run came up in that time, you we’re screwed. A junior guy could get the better mileage run.
I remember that. It would work both ways I guess. I'd hate to come in the company blindsided, fresh off the street and get stuck forever on a 650 run but at the same time, I hate to know I've been here 20 years and a guy came off the streets and has the run I need and can't get.
It's still something like that. I "think" it's 60 days now. We just did our rebid. I think we're all stuck for 60 days. If they add a run everyone wants now, I "think" it'll be someone on extraboard that gets first choice then it goes to the city.
The guys that's been here 25-45 years still fight for those big runs. I think it's more about getting something you couldn't get before and can finally have now instead of needing the money.
However, I see many of those guys with brand new shiny pickup trucks with big tow hitches and no scratches on them. Those new shiny pickup trucks come with house payments unless they paid cash for them

I remember that. It would work both ways I guess. I'd hate to come in the company blindsided, fresh off the street and get stuck forever on a 650 run but at the same time, I hate to know I've been here 20 years and a guy came off the streets and has the run I need and can't get.
It's still something like that. I "think" it's 60 days now. We just did our rebid. I think we're all stuck for 60 days. If they add a run everyone wants now, I "think" it'll be someone on extraboard that gets first choice then it goes to the city.
The guys that's been here 25-45 years still fight for those big runs. I think it's more about getting something you couldn't get before and can finally have now instead of needing the money.
However, I see many of those guys with brand new shiny pickup trucks with big tow hitches and no scratches on them. Those new shiny pickup trucks come with house payments unless they paid cash for them
But now at least there’s a yearly re-bid. There was no re-bid back then. But you’re right it worked both ways cause if you got a run you really liked, no one could ever take it from you.

I made a few drivers upset this bid. I came back from running city last year. Did my extra board stint and got my time back. I did the city life because of personal reasons. I’m now the top senior driver and bumped some people. I actually felt bad doing it, but I did everything according to policy. I’ve never minded the policy, even when I was new with the company. I ran extra board for years. Most new drivers don’t want to run wild.

There is no 60 day bid block anymore. You can bounce all you like.