XPO | Disc Brakes On New International Tractors

What’s your guy’s thoughts on disc brakes? I see that they are trying them out on some internationals!
I personally have never run them but I do know drivers at other companies that do and they all swear they’re the best thing since sliced bread. Dayton Freight in our area has them on most of their trucks and several of their trailers.

The other night a day linehaul guy came in, said they gave him a truck with disc brakes and complained for fifteen minutes about how awful they were. He did this by saying that they 'felt different' and how the truck kept 'stopping quicker' and how he hated them.

So basically the disc brakes seemed to actually work better as the truck was 'stopping quicker' but might take some getting used to because they 'felt different'.

Imagine hating something only because it is new and because it's different?

There is a whole socio-political metaphor in there somewhere, but I'll stick to brakes for now...

If they stop the truck in less time, I'll take them.

The other night a day linehaul guy came in, said they gave him a truck with disc brakes and complained for fifteen minutes about how awful they were. He did this by saying that they 'felt different' and how the truck kept 'stopping quicker' and how he hated them.

So basically the disc brakes seemed to actually work better as the truck was 'stopping quicker' but might take some getting used to because they 'felt different'.

Imagine hating something only because it is new and because it's different?

There is a whole socio-political metaphor in there somewhere, but I'll stick to brakes for now...

If they stop the truck in less time, I'll take them.

They are more grippy. More hurky jerky. Especially when brand new. It's not the smooth stop you are used to. But a more powerful braking system that uses the full potential of the vehicle. To yes. Stop more quickly.

I have yet to drive a truck with disk brakes on it. I have read the disk brake dissipate heat better, less brake fad and the have better performance in wet conditions. I have had in wet conditions were the one front brake get wet and when you hit the brakes the front end pulls. Where on a disk brake there is no were on the disk for water to build up. They both have there pro and cons drums cost less and weight less, but when you look at the safety part disk brakes out perform drum brakes.
https://wheelco.com/blog/2017/drums...earn-the-differences-between-braking-systems/

I have yet to drive a truck with disk brakes on it. I have read the disk brake dissipate heat better, less brake fad and the have better performance in wet conditions. I have had in wet conditions were the one front brake get wet and when you hit the brakes the front end pulls. Where on a disk brake there is no were on the disk for water to build up. They both have there pro and cons drums cost less and weight less, but when you look at the safety part disk brakes out perform drum brakes.
https://wheelco.com/blog/2017/drums...earn-the-differences-between-braking-systems/

Drums weigh less than discs? I'm genuinely surprised by that. Can't wait to get disc brakes from what I've read and heard.