XPO | Disparate Overtime Policy

So , if you had a choice in voting for a politician that would correct the the O/T problem or one that would ignore it , an XPO lobbyist could change your mind?
They lobbyists have nothing to do with me, only the politicians. No politician is gonna gonna run on "making sure these poor truck drivers get time and a half." There are bigger issues out there to them, but yes, that might get my vote.

The line is going to be somewhere, and anyone on the cheaper side of the line is going to grumble about it.

Unless you're the number 1 at your barn, someone else is probably going to have a better run than you and probably make more money, even though you do the exact same job. The only difference is they may have been hired a day earlier. But that's fine- so why is it so hard to accept someone making more money for an equally random reason, like where you applied to work?
Some things are harder to accept, this is one of them for me, and all that work at my SC. Same holds true for those that don’t get paid OT.

I don't understand how you can write both of those statements. You understand that pay varies, but you don't understand why pay varies? If they gave you the OT, but reduced your hourly rate to compensate, would you be okay with that? It sounds like you should, and that doesn't make sense.

What's the difference between OT policy and hourly wages? It's all variable based on where you live. Why worry about it?
No Gene, its "one company". the way OT is paid should be the same across the system, just like it is in other LTL carriers. Whether a particular carrier pays OT or not, they all have the same policy regarding OT...they institute exactly the same across their systems. That is something XPO does not do. A market based difference in hourly pay is understandable most of the time.

This thread is from last year during open enrollment.

http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/insurance.82580/

There are at least 6 sets of rates, and this is the first year they did it that way.
Yes, there are multiple plans to choose from, each has a different set of rates. If you and I choose the same plan, with the same # of dependents, we would both pay the same.., regardless where either of us lives. Overtime should be paid the same across one company. There is no reason it should still be fragmented within the one company that we are.

You are right.

Question: If drivers want more options than just XPO how about changing the law?

There are so many drivers that it seems small ( no offense to you intended ) to only want to "fix" XPO when the entire industry is broken. The law needs to be fixed in favor of the working people.
Political contributions from corporate America prevents that from happening.

True but California is a left wing state that some here will never vote in their favor even it benefits them.
You may be right. Change scares some people. Different scares some people. The truth scares some people.

Even though I consider myself a conservative minded person , I wouldn't let that keep me from being realistic. California has the biggest economy out of all U.S. of A. As much as I wouldn't want to go there , they must be doing something right because a lot of wealthy , smart , successful people live there that could choose to live anywhere else. Not all of them are Liberal Democrats either.

Its been a few years now but we had a driver transfer south and wasn't getting OT after 8 or 40 I don't remember what he was getting hourly but we would compare checks and with the tax differences (also not sure about benefit cost) he was taking home almost the exact same amount as me at between 45 and 55 hours per week
We had very similar deductions as far as both on the best family plan for health and max 401k contribution
I didn't see his checks but he was an honest guy when I worked with him
Edit under 45 and over 55 did have a noticeable difference in my favor

You may be right. Change scares some people. Different scares some people. The truth scares some people.

Even though I consider myself a conservative minded person , I wouldn't let that keep me from being realistic. California has the biggest economy out of all U.S. of A. As much as I wouldn't want to go there , they must be doing something right because a lot of wealthy , smart , successful people live there that could choose to live anywhere else. Not all of them are Liberal Democrats either.
No they are not. They are #6, 5 if you take Washington DC out of the ranking. Six measures were used. They are the unemployment rate, job growth, per-capita GDP, GDP growth, average weekly wages, and wage growth.
https://www.businessinsider.com/state-economy-ranking-q1-2018-2

Last edited:
True but California is a left wing state that some here will never vote in their favor even it benefits them.
So how is that benefiting anyone when the value of a dollar is only worth $0.88 https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ving-value-of-dollar-in-every-state/34567549/
California
  • Value of a dollar: $0.88
  • Personal income: $44,173 (25th highest)
  • Cost of living adjusted income: $51,386 (21st highest)
  • Median home value: $477,500 (2nd lowest)
So the state pass some law about OT but what does it matter? Almost every were you look California is always in the top 3 or 4, depending which report you look at, most expensive states to live in, They are also one of a few state were the state taxes are not a flat tax. The more you make the more you pay to the state. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/fun-facts/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-taxes/L6HPAVqSF.

So yes they have it figured out, out there on the left coast so much so that almost every trucking company is charging a California surcharge. I know we are and so is YRC, ABF, and OD. https://www.1tod.com/california-compliance-surcharge/.

Hell I'm in the NE and I don't get OT, oh wait I'm on line haul. One second how is that fair. Oh yea the company says that it must be 8 straight hours on the clock not just 8 hrs of hourly pay per day. So sound like every LH driver is getting screwed too.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

So yes they have it figured out, out there on the left coast so much so that almost every trucking company is charging a California surcharge. I know we are and so is YRC, ABF, and OD. https://www.1tod.com/california-compliance-surcharge/.

Hell I'm in the NE and I don't get OT, oh wait I'm on line haul. One second how is that fair. Oh yea the company says that it must be 8 straight hours on the clock not just 8 hrs of hourly pay per day. So sound like every LH driver is getting screwed too.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
I think it’s because LH mileage rate works out a little better than being paid Hourly rate to compensate for lack of OT already.

That system was in place due to the fact that employees in the south earned less than the ones up north and out west. We were paid at 45 hours per week of vacation before we went to the PTO system. Even with me being topped out on vacation time, the extra I get on PTO, it doesn't put a dent in what I lose in upaid overtime. We only get about $115 to $120 per week of PTO which is less than $900 per year at 7 weeks.
OK agree, but guy like me that work LH don't get OT so for years LH driver here in the NE have gotten screwed when they took PTO and there are guy at my barn that have been on LH for 20+years

I think it’s because LH mileage rate works out a little better than being paid Hourly rate to compensate for lack of OT already.
So then should I get OT when I hook 20mins, Drop 20mins. fuel 20mins, 7hrs on the dock, and 20mins to hook. That 8.20hrs. I'm not talking about total time at work. I talking about total time on the clock

Hell I'm in the NE and I don't get OT, oh wait I'm on line haul. One second how is that fair. Oh yea the company says that it must be 8 straight hours on the clock not just 8 hrs of hourly pay per day. So sound like every LH driver is getting screwed too.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

California also outlawed mileage pay. Everyone gets paid by the hour and gets OT. Why you think XPO and other companies are labeling container haulers independent contractors ?

It’s not a perfect system. I don’t want to live in California. But that doesn’t mean that all the ideas and concepts are categorically bad.

Most people agree that there should be OT after 8. Most line haul drivers accept that they don’t get paid OT because they are getting six figures a year.

California also outlawed mileage pay. Everyone gets paid by the hour and gets OT. Why you think XPO and other companies are labeling container haulers independent contractors ?

It’s not a perfect system. I don’t want to live in California. But that doesn’t mean that all the ideas and concepts are categorically bad.

Most people agree that there should be OT after 8. Most line haul drivers accept that they don’t get paid OT because they are getting six figures a year.
Well I and may other at my barn and others near me have yet to see that 6 figures a year. In fact I think only one out of 16 of use saw that number