XPO | Disparate Overtime Policy

So then should I get OT when I hook 20mins, Drop 20mins. fuel 20mins, 7hrs on the dock, and 20mins to hook. That 8.20hrs. I'm not talking about total time at work. I talking about total time on the clock
Do you go over 8 at all doing line haul ( clock time)?

Do you go over 8 at all doing line haul ( clock time)?
from what I was told if you go over 8hrs on the kronos clock then I would get OT. The drop and hook, fuel times don't count. but yet the city guys get it even though the may work say 2hrs inbound dock then 6hrs on city P&D and then 2hrs OB dock. those are all different job code just like mine are. The city guy gets 2hrs OT, but since I on LH I wont get any if I clock over 8hrs per day.
Everyone has said that working LH pays more. I done the math and working 60hrs on LH gets me the same money as working 60hrs in the city.

California also outlawed mileage pay. Everyone gets paid by the hour and gets OT. Why you think XPO and other companies are labeling container haulers independent contractors ?

It’s not a perfect system. I don’t want to live in California. But that doesn’t mean that all the ideas and concepts are categorically bad.

Most people agree that there should be OT after 8. Most line haul drivers accept that they don’t get paid OT because they are getting six figures a year.
The last I knew was that if you signed a truck lease you were an O/O ie: independent contractor

The last I knew was that if you signed a truck lease you were an O/O ie: independent contractor
That’s what’s trying to be changed. Independent contractor can only pull trailers who their leases onto. So if freight is slow he is stuck just like company driver cause he can’t leave and pull broker or another companies loads. They have to follow same guidelines as company driver. If goes through inspection his DOT number isn’t dinged in a positive or negative way and if he gets too many negative his agreement is terminated. Sounds like a employee too me without the benefits.

from what I was told if you go over 8hrs on the kronos clock then I would get OT. The drop and hook, fuel times don't count. but yet the city guys get it even though the may work say 2hrs inbound dock then 6hrs on city P&D and then 2hrs OB dock. those are all different job code just like mine are. The city guy gets 2hrs OT, but since I on LH I wont get any if I clock over 8hrs per day.
Everyone has said that working LH pays more. I done the math and working 60hrs on LH gets me the same money as working 60hrs in the city.

I understand what you are saying and agree with you, mostly.

Let me say first. I have done that math and worked both several years each. You will make more on line haul. It’s just the way it is. I can’t hold the great runs. So for me it’s usually 5K - 10K more than the city. I don’t chase every penny any more. Go home ASAP regardless of on the road or in the city. My buddy turning Clearfield is already 20K ahead of me on the year. And we are comparing earned money. Not take home. Everyone has different taxes and situations. I don’t care to know all your personal business. Just the amount the company is responsible to claim under your name. Which is of course personal. But you know what I mean.

Secondly. If you feel that you can make more in the city.... why are you still on line haul ?

Third. It’s about location. Not job code. If I run our short run. Which happened a lot the winter XPO bought us. It’s only 1 1/2 there. I put over 8 on the dock. They pay me OT. If I get there and they ask me to run a city switch on the city code and then I come back and work the dock and go over 8 hours total.... they pay me OT.

Any of you short run pros have it happen ? That you got OT at another terminal ? Is it the same out there in the rest of the world ?

Not in the south

Only one out of ten linehaul drivers at my barn makes $100k, and that’s the one and only day run. I’ll never see that, which is ok with me. Our shortest run is 90 miles each way. FAC dock time is 5-6 hours. Not likely to work the inbound when you get back. Maybe years ago when we were busy, but never now with dockworkers in the picture. Our TM has told us he is going to “grow the business”. Last night we sat two drivers. Not only did they not have a linehaul run, they didn’t even work our FAC. They both went home. In my 14 years here, there has been NO growth. I know some locations are slammed, but not us.

Only one out of ten linehaul drivers at my barn makes $100k, and that’s the one and only day run. I’ll never see that, which is ok with me. Our shortest run is 90 miles each way. FAC dock time is 5-6 hours. Not likely to work the inbound when you get back. Maybe years ago when we were busy, but never now with dockworkers in the picture. Our TM has told us he is going to “grow the business”. Last night we sat two drivers. Not only did they not have a linehaul run, they didn’t even work our FAC. They both went home. In my 14 years here, there has been NO growth. I know some locations are slammed, but not us.

Well, it’s likely one of two things is gonna spread. Stories like yours. Or stories like sucker666. Eventually, one or the other will win out.

No they are not. They are #6, 5 if you take Washington DC out of the ranking. Six measures were used. They are the unemployment rate, job growth, per-capita GDP, GDP growth, average weekly wages, and wage growth.
https://www.businessinsider.com/state-economy-ranking-q1-2018-2
Using your source , Business Insider , California is not only the biggest economy in the United States , it's the 5th largest in the world - your source.

California has largest economy in the US and 5th largest in the world - Business Insider

nNqWOi4.jpg

d4g240h.jpg

Using your source , Business Insider , California is not only the biggest economy in the United States , it's the 5th largest in the world - your source.

California has largest economy in the US and 5th largest in the world - Business Insider

nNqWOi4.jpg

d4g240h.jpg

The article you used only reflects only one number the GDP. Were in my article Business Insider combined six measures of labor-market and general economic health . The 6 figures used were: unemployment rate, job growth, per-capita GDP, GDP growth, average weekly wages, and wage growth. My number show an over all health of each states economy. What it shows you is the even though California GDP is puts them at number 1 when you factor in the other 5 that make up the general economic health it puts them at number 6. Texas at number 4. New York at #14. Florida at #17 and Illinois at #36. Just to point out the top 5

Last edited:
The article you used only reflects only one number the GDP. Were in my article Business Insider combined six measures of labor-market and general economic health . The 6 figures used were: unemployment rate, job growth, per-capita GDP, GDP growth, average weekly wages, and wage growth. My number show an over all health of each states economy. What it shows you is the even though California GDP is puts them at number 1 when you factor in the other 5 that make up the general economic health it puts them at number 6. Texas at number 4. New York at #14. Florida at #17 and Illinois at #36. Just to point out the top 5
Your source. Business Insider is what was used. I won't argue with you because numbers can be manipulated to support a political viewpoint.

Can you show any other source that shows California not being the number one economy in the United States?

With all factors included ( high taxes , leaning progressive , Liberal government officials , lots of illegal immigrants , etc.. ) California is the #1 economy in the United States by most accounts.

Maybe this will help - California collected the most federal taxes for the most recent year I could find , 2015.
NS9TruT.jpg

Last edited:
Your source. Business Insider is what was used. I won't argue with you because numbers can be manipulated to support a political viewpoint.
I will agree with you there. Just my example took more into account then just the GDP. I just pointed out the over general economic health of each state which looks at more then just the GDP number.
Can you show any other source that shows California not being the number one economy in the United States?
I did. The one I post looks at more then just GDP
With all factors included ( high taxes , leaning progressive , Liberal government officials , lots of illegal immigrants , etc.. ) California is the #1 economy in the United States by most account
Sorry all factors were not included in the article you posted

Beat the Kansas experiment
The problem with that experiment is who ever wanted to go to Kansas? Low taxes ain’t gonna do it alone and they have a low population of skilled labor force. Kansas wasn’t ever going to be attractive for lots of business relocation.

The problem with that experiment is who ever wanted to go to Kansas? Low taxes ain’t gonna do it alone and they have a low population of skilled labor force. Kansas wasn’t ever going to be attractive for lots of business relocation.

The way things are going in some of the blue states, red states might be gaining traction as favorable locations to live and do business.

That’s what’s trying to be changed. Independent contractor can only pull trailers who their leases onto. So if freight is slow he is stuck just like company driver cause he can’t leave and pull broker or another companies loads. They have to follow same guidelines as company driver. If goes through inspection his DOT number isn’t dinged in a positive or negative way and if he gets too many negative his agreement is terminated. Sounds like a employee too me without the benefits.
Well if the driver leasing the truck is using that companies ICC/DOT number then thats the only loads he can pull. If he want to pull other loads then get get his own ICC/DOT number and then lease on. Also if they didn't understand what they were signing and signed it anyway well then who's fault is it.