Yellow | Do We Need A Change In Management Top To Bottom?

How many think YRC needs a change in management top to bottom?

• Big change needed

Votes: 30 96.8%
  • No change needed

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

Bart

Central States Participant Since 1976
Credits
If we don’t get some freight people running this show no amount of money will ever make a difference!!

Was it a good idea to hire Jamie back ?? And he jumped up this ladder fast & with big $$$$$
b9985aa880132ba5e7ff4f9253e4db8d.jpg

At my terminal I’m being told we can only pick up so much freight locally because our outbound is 5,000 bills behind and we can’t move it , So crappy Dockworkers and crappy management.
I belong to another group and the talk is always about drivers sitting in motels for 2-4 days so if those lazy ass crappy drivers would get in the truck and drive the outbound freight would get moved!

At my terminal I’m being told we can only pick up so much freight locally because our outbound is 5,000 bills behind and we can’t move it , So crappy Dockworkers and crappy management.
They can't come to work until they're called. Lol
The same way a dockworker cant move the freight till it gets there?

I've noticed that there are a lot of lower-management and even some middle-management who do not have college degrees -- and it shows. It wonders me if that is true of other freight companies? YRC seems to have a problem hiring and retaining qualified low level management. They hire poorly qualified entry-level management who are then unpromotable, which leads to resentment.

Book learning isn't necessarily all that helpful at ground-level operations, but the college experience does make a difference.

Back during regulation, when it was an old-boys' club, we had a dock operations manager whose previous job was door-to-door sweeper salesman. I'm not even sure he had a high-school diploma. The old-boys club was alive and well. I'm digressing. But back then all the dock foremen wanted to be in sales. The sales guys literally did nothing all day and collected paychecks, had company cars, could write off three-martini lunches. It was a different world back then, before deregulation. Everyone made money. It was a cash cow. If one freight company fired you, you went down to the Union Hall and the BA would get you another job at another freight company. LTL was over 90% unionized and rockin'. Every labor contract was better then the one before. The pension fund ran a surplus. Then deregulation happened, and the party was over. Freight companies started shutting down almost over night. FedEx came on the scene and started picking over the dead carcasses. Now the buzzards are circling the last unionized carrier left and the pension is in free-fall and we're making concessions. It was good while it lasted. Union Sundown. As Bob Dylan sang.

"Well, it's sundown on the union
And what's made in the U.S.A.
Sure was a good idea
'Til greed got in the way"

-- Bob Dylan

I've noticed that there are a lot of lower-management and even some middle-management who do not have college degrees <snip>
The company seem to lack the basic management structure. The company hires people with basic skills and they struggle to do the job at hand. They fail to excel or adapt to excessive workload and don’t demand employees do the job they were hired to do! If this company doesn’t get back to the basics of moving freight and making sure everyone knows what their job responsibilities are and most importantly employees held accountable it will continue to fail and sadly time is running out!

The company seem to lack the basic management structure. The company hires people with basic skills and they struggle to do the job at hand. They fail to excel or adapt to excessive workload and don’t demand employees do the job they were hired to do! If this company doesn’t get back to the basics of moving freight and making sure everyone knows what their job responsibilities are and most importantly employees held accountable it will continue to fail and sadly time is running out!

Heck if they don't want to pay a decent salary to attract a competent employee, hire a college grad and train them. Target hires fresh out of college grads and sends them to their own 6 weeks of business training and then to shadow someone for a week.

Well, a fresh out of college kid would be eaten alive on the dock, but at least give then some training on how to do the job and how to work with union labor.

No one has been held accountable for much of anything that I have seen in the last 17 years. Zollars with his shoot from the hip decisions, either had many good management people quit, or were let go back then, and many of the remaining have not been competent enough to make even simple decisions.

Unfortunately they can’t teach common sense in any form of education. Neither can they teach doing a given task in an efficient and timely manner. Unfortunately the younger leaders can’t multitask and think outside the box. Today’s supervisors only look at numbers given to them by upper corporate managers, and are told to follow them.
Cut times and blowing freight in trailers has consequences that in long run cost money.
Am shifts don’t worry about pm shifts, only worried about there numbers. Unfortunately if you live by the numbers you will die by the numbers.
Old school freight supervisors are long gone, and old school freight handlers have moved on to earlier start times and don’t pass on knowledge that was passed to them.
Shove it on street, shove it on outbound, shove it through velocity center, shove it to terminal then repeat, make numbers look good , accept damage and waste, then try and figure out why we lose money.
Something drastically wrong with formula, we try and build from top down, unfortunately you build from bottom up.

Heck if they don't want to pay a decent salary to attract a competent employee, hire a college grad and train them. Target hires fresh out of college grads and sends them to their own 6 weeks of business training and then to shadow someone for a week.

Well, a fresh out of college kid would be eaten alive on the dock, but at least give then some training on how to do the job and how to work with union labor.
Who is going to train them?
They want managers that do what the division VP says not one that can think on his own.

Who is going to train them?
They want managers that do what the division VP says not one that can think on his own.
They have good experienced people working there in the rank and file.
But. Who in their right mind would go into management from there now?
That's where some good people are. Not off the street.... Right now or when I retired even a little over a year ago. It was too late. They are too far into the funk to make it better. So it stays the same.
Dysfunctional.
And that bleeds down. Trickles down.
Some people care. Some don't. Always been that way. Change for the better in management will never come. Not as long as they keep hiring the same over and over. I've seen it. And so happy to be away from it all.
If you've ever seen the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. That's yrc.
But too big to fail? Not really.
Too many factors involved to make it better that they will never figure out.
Never.