XPO | Do you think Con-way has given a good example of integrity to its employees?

Another good example: We need to take the vacation money and you (the drivers) need to take a pay cut and no raises. "WE NEED TO BE OUR OWN BANK" Before you know it we get E-trailers. Necessary? NO, we have been using loadracks for 20+ years with no problems. Here come the handhealds. Necessary? NO, we have been manifesting for 20+ years. Theres your integrity.

I agree there is alot of needless spending going on when we are told how bad off the company is but I also think Rat gets a lil carried away with the hate for somebody that says he reads the other fourms on here and still thinks Con-way is the devil.

Do some research, don't just listen to these rants. Yahoo Finance, Bloomberg, morning star..... check out what the experts predict. This company is projected to grow in revenue and operating profit by 10% next year. This company isn't going down the tubes as many of you say.. hahaha Do some research..
How many of the so called experts predicted the economic downturn? Don't believe everything you read. P.S. check your adding machine.

How many of the so called experts predicted the economic downturn? Don't believe everything you read. P.S. check your adding machine.

No experts needed to predict the economic downturn. Economics 101...bad times follow good times - good times follow bad times. It's cyclical.

I agree there is alot of needless spending going on when we are told how bad off the company is but I also think Rat gets a lil carried away with the hate for somebody that says he reads the other fourms on here and still thinks Con-way is the devil.

I don't really think it's hate. Just his opinion. I know where he is coming from. Dislike of the management.

The events/enhancements of the last several years have adversely affected every employee of the company...some were necessary...many were not. A lot of these so called enhancements were 'in your face' implementations of takebacks using the economy as an excuse. The company has used the economic stress of the moment to do some really questionable things. In their quest to reduce the employee's relevance to the level of a McDonald's grill cook (specifically the drivers as they make up the lion's share of the employee numbers)...they have buffaloed hundreds into believing they are of no more importance than junk mail and just as irrelevant.

You and I aren't going to agree and I'm ok with that, nothing personal, hope you feel the same way, but what you said here is one hell of an allegation and with all due respect, I think it's over the top. "in your face implementations of takebacks using the economy as an excuse" What are you trying to suggest by this comment? Do you feel the company holds some sort of contempt for their own employees? Enlighten me here, please. Other than Old Dominion, can you name one LTL that pays more than our company pays? Do you think more than half of all LTL's pay time and a half over 8? Our company wins on both counts. I think the best way a person can judge how a company regards it's employees is by looking at compensation, if Con-way wanted to use "in your face" tactics, wouldn't it make sense for them to find drastic ways to reduce our compensation as opposed to investing more in their business?

The healthcare cost increase this year is BULL ::shit:: plain and simple!!! The people running the show have ZERO intregrity and are a pack of thieves, stealing from us. They take a little bit here and a little bit there, all the time it gets harder and harder just to maintain your income level and take care of your family. When I started out with CWX, I could not believe how lucky I was to get hired on with such an outstanding outfit. Now, I am starting to think more and more about where I should go when I quit. Here's the rub though, I DON'T WANT TO QUIT, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO QUIT!!!!! Why can't this company go back to being what it was, a great place to work that took care of the drivers because the drivers took care of the company. Why can't the folks in Ann Arbor see that the only thing wrong with this company is the way they take care of their drivers. If they took better care of us, if they stopped taking from us and started giving again things would turn around. I was proud to be hired by Con-way and am still filled with pride to put on my stupid looking farmer Ted shirt and go to work everyday. However, my patience is wearing thin and my pride for this company can only take me so far. We have got to get things turned around and thats not going to happen until Safety, Integrity, Commitment, and Excellence mean something again. Those core values still mean something to me and I will bet that they still mean something to most of you as well. They won't really count for much until they mean something to big shots in Ann Arbor

Another good example: We need to take the vacation money and you (the drivers) need to take a pay cut and no raises. "WE NEED TO BE OUR OWN BANK" Before you know it we get E-trailers. Necessary? NO, we have been using loadracks for 20+ years with no problems. Here come the handhealds. Necessary? NO, we have been manifesting for 20+ years. Theres your integrity.

are these things necessary...?..probably not, but the handheld is an awsome tool,phone calls have dropped by 25-30% at my SC and as for the E-trailers i think they are great as you can position the beam for different sized plts and not to mention the p&d drivers who know how to use them bring back trailers from the street that look like breakers...
how can you defend 2 guys who lost their job by not doing their job?..come on...we also had 2 guys let go for "minor" incidents...but in the end 98% of the drivers agree thats what needed to be done with them..

Dont come on here to gather any facts then. Live your DREAM.......or is it a nightmare? Your truely baffled, thats for sure. Good luck though
Compnayclown? your name tells all... You can only gather the followers behind you. Sorry but I can see thru all the BS that is spewed on here from jokers like you and the RAT boy.

Beerfd, you have aright to your opinion as I have a right to mine.You talk about me being negative and simple minded and then you slam me and call me an idiot, interesting. First, I have been at Con-way for over 20 years. I make less because our cost of living raise each year, if we get one, never seems to be as much as the rise in the cost of living, or is equalized by a rise in healthcare cost. I used to have free medical and in January 2011 the cost for me, my wife, and my kids will be in excess of $400 a month. I guess you could call it a poor choice, but I don't see me wanting benefits for my family as asking too much. And the retirement I was promised when I started with the company went from around $3000 a month to around $700 a month. And as for the company looking bad, they don't need me for that. I think they look pretty bad in some areas and very good in others. And although I agree with a lot of what Rat says, it doesn't make me a follower of his. in fact, I hope Rat is totally wrong in his thoughts about this companys future. I need it to prosper because i have spent my youth here and it is too late for me to leave and start over somewhere else. Oh, and Beerfd, I forgive you.

Times change... And I still dont believe you make less now that you did 7 years ago. Your just bitter about something. Dont' bring us all down. hahahah

i started at ccx in early 95 was offered 10 sick days, 2 personal days, vacation that was accrude from the previous 12 months. a pension plan funded fully by the company. a 401 that was matched at 3%. also a yearly raise (frt levels permitting) & an incentive compensation plan. now i have 5 pto days vacation accruing since apr 1 2010. no raise in the last 3 yrs. no i.c.p a 5% give back of which they gave 2.5% back & 2 days later raised my co-pay on insurance almost the same amount as the give back. also no match to the 401 that was supposed to help with the loss of pension these are just the facts in my case everyones situation is different. i still enjoy coming to work & doing what needs to be done. i just don't trust the management i feel the only time they are not lying is when they are sleeping or not talking. a lot of people expect the companies they work for should make them happy bottom line is you have a skill they need & they need you to perform those task's the days of respect & appreciation are long over. it is a job & you are just a number just my 2cents. i personally think very highly of all the drivers i've ever had the pleasure to meet in my yrs at con-way.

Anymore, Cornhole is a paint by numbers operation and once all the dust is settled........the employees secondary language will be english.....broken english at that. Cheap labor is the goal and greed is the poison.
The good days of all the perks and incentives are gone. The damage done digs deeper with me then most people could imagine. W99 himself knows of my screwing and I know his position as well as his frustrations he deals with. Con-way will never recover from the damage it has done to itself and its reputation will continue to dwindle. If you are still young.......get while the getting is good. If you are close to 55 and have your points to achieve the 85 rule, take the smaller payment and run like hell. I forget exactly what the number is, but given inflation and all.......my 400 or so bucks a month will buy me a 6 pack a day till I die. Is it any wonder numerous folks ran to NEMF when they expanded? My brother was smart enough to go there and LOVES it! I am not a NEMF employee, but was offered a job and turned it down during their expansion. Too bad I did not jump ship. Thiis was all well before most all this implosion has taken place. They (previous management from con-way) knew what was happening and to answer the question of this post, Con-way has absolutely no integrity what so ever.......unless their current version of integrity means continuous butt ****. Stock holders being their only concern with the majority of the stocks belonging to who????? Go ahead and do some research and get off the sector stand cause your preaching of the great con-way is about as ignorant as selling your soul to the devil. Good luck to all the FNG's who buy into all this "paradise".
There are better companies out there who treat you as a team member rather then chicken george from the movie Roots.

I find this threat so frustrating. I am a member of management. I completely understand the points of view here. I have read TB for years and never posted, but i felt like i needed to tonight. Yes the company has made some major mistakes the past few years. The local management has been nothing but honest about this at the barn I work at. The decisions over the past years came from only a few people at the very top and the rest of the "management" team has been hand cuffed and socks shoved in our mouths. The past 2.5 months has been nothing but discussions on how to make things right by the customers and the employee's. Don't think for one minute that local SCM's, RM's or even Area VP's haven't been focused on this. There is a long road ahead and a lot of work to be done by ALL. The pay cuts sucked. It effected my family. The 401 k match needs to come back and i bet it does this coming year. The 1 hour set back the other 2.5% return are examples of INTEGRITY that have been made lately. That is not questionable. Are there broken promises?? Yes, but have you broken any promises you made in your interview for your job with Con-way? I bet the answer is yes, even though you'll say no. Doug can't go back and change the past. He can impact the future. Can anyone really say that there is positive momentum right now? I'm happier and it's making me a better member of management. Everyone here has their own story on the bad thing Con-way has done to them. But, bottom line is that Con-way is paying me every week for hard work and that's something we all share in common here. We are what is making this company turn around. I would say that 95% of this is because of the drivers hard work and dedication.. Don't let the bad apples turn the masses. Keep pushing.

Sorry for the rant, i just really had a big drink of the Con-way blue kool aid this month..

I find this threat so frustrating. I am a member of management. I completely understand the points of view here. I have read TB for years and never posted, but i felt like i needed to tonight. Yes the company has made some major mistakes the past few years. The local management has been nothing but honest about this at the barn I work at. The decisions over the past years came from only a few people at the very top and the rest of the "management" team has been hand cuffed and socks shoved in our mouths. The past 2.5 months has been nothing but discussions on how to make things right by the customers and the employee's. Don't think for one minute that local SCM's, RM's or even Area VP's haven't been focused on this. There is a long road ahead and a lot of work to be done by ALL. The pay cuts sucked. It effected my family. The 401 k match needs to come back and i bet it does this coming year. The 1 hour set back the other 2.5% return are examples of INTEGRITY that have been made lately. That is not questionable. Are there broken promises?? Yes, but have you broken any promises you made in your interview for your job with Con-way? I bet the answer is yes, even though you'll say no. Doug can't go back and change the past. He can impact the future. Can anyone really say that there is positive momentum right now? I'm happier and it's making me a better member of management. Everyone here has their own story on the bad thing Con-way has done to them. But, bottom line is that Con-way is paying me every week for hard work and that's something we all share in common here. We are what is making this company turn around. I would say that 95% of this is because of the drivers hard work and dedication.. Don't let the bad apples turn the masses. Keep pushing.

Sorry for the rant, i just really had a big drink of the Con-way blue kool aid this month..

Wonderingsoul thank you for the post. They have a LONG road to win over and mend bridges that were burnt down during certain regimes. I wish them luck with that. I personally do not have a problem with my local management team. Some of us knew their hands were tied but there have been rogue supervisors that really pushed this to the extreme. Some of them have been dismissed. Some are still around. I wish them luck with that.

I find this threat so frustrating. I am a member of management. Are there broken promises?? Yes, but have you broken any promises you made in your interview for your job with Con-way? I bet the answer is yes, even though you'll say no. Doug can't go back and change the past. He can impact the future.

So now its the employees fault?...

It was just matter of time before someone tried to turn the tables on a group of folks who have no control over any policy/benefit decisions...

My question was...and continues to be...where the hell was Dougie when all the things suffered by the rank and file were being implemented?....

Was he an absentee landlord...head in the sand...allowing John to run amok doing what he wished?...if that was the case then he is a overpaid CEO...failing in large measure not fulfilling the duties of the position.

Or was Dougie headlong involved in everything that the employees have suffered over the last several years...knowing full well what was going on?...

Viewing those folks and their maladies as collateral damage?....

Let me give you a clue....Dougie and company knew then and they know now what is going on...

They have a scapegoat...big ole bad John L...

So now Dougie and Dudley Do-Right want to come and save the day from the likes of Snidely Whiplash (aka John L.) and make himself out to be the hero and savior of the day...

Right...

Sorry Doug...I and many others here are not that gullible.

Nice try though!...

Rat