XPO | Do you think Con-way has given a good example of integrity to its employees?

bonedaddy

TB Lurker
Credits
I am sensing a common bitterness in a lot of the Con-way threads by people who sound like they really care about this company's future.The company keeps taking from its loyal workers and the workers a very bitter. Can you blame them for being bitter? In the beginning, for our hard work and loyalty (No Union), we were promised a good wage, great benefits, a great retirement package, and a seniority system all comparable to that of union workers in our field. In return they asked us for our hard work and to go the extra mile to give our customers a service product second to none. History shows we held up our end of the bargain. Now, I make less than I did 7 years ago, I pay $400.00 a month more for benefits, I have no retirement, and my seniority is only good for vacation bidding and a very vague job selection, and only when convenient for the company as interpreted by the local SCM. I do not sense a lot of integrity in the way this company has kept up its end of the deal. And telling us if we don't like it we should leave is just a cop- out. How about keeping promises made and maybe that integrity will shine like it should instead of leaving a bad taste in our mouths. It is never to late to make amends. Hey guys on top at the palace, how about some integrity for the people who made your jobs possible. P.S. You may be above the law but God will judge us all in the end. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

I can't argue that point. I think alot of drivers feel the same way that has been around for awhile. I wonder if that is why we don't hear anything about integrity anymore? They (management) don't have it so why should I attitude.

I am sensing a common bitterness in a lot of the Con-way threads by people who sound like they really care about this company's future.The company keeps taking from its loyal workers and the workers a very bitter. Can you blame them for being bitter? In the beginning, for our hard work and loyalty (No Union), we were promised a good wage, great benefits, a great retirement package, and a seniority system all comparable to that of union workers in our field. In return they asked us for our hard work and to go the extra mile to give our customers a service product second to none. History shows we held up our end of the bargain. Now, I make less than I did 7 years ago, I pay $400.00 a month more for benefits, I have no retirement, and my seniority is only good for vacation bidding and a very vague job selection, and only when convenient for the company as interpreted by the local SCM. I do not sense a lot of integrity in the way this company has kept up its end of the deal. And telling us if we don't like it we should leave is just a cop- out. How about keeping promises made and maybe that integrity will shine like it should instead of leaving a bad taste in our mouths. It is never to late to make amends. Hey guys on top at the palace, how about some integrity for the people who made your jobs possible. P.S. You may be above the law but God will judge us all in the end. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Nice post...very well written.

There is one very serious and potentially damaging event that is looming on the horizon at this very moment. This event will define who survives and who doesn't. It will be worse for the LTLs than the recession or the over capacity that now defines the current state of affairs in the biz.

How this event will affect the individual LTL companies will be largely up to them. It will require an entirely different mindset from what has been the status quo of the past...those concerns that are able to adapt and overcome will survive and thrive...those who cannot will go by the wayside.

What is this event?....

Driver shortages...

The ATA and any analyst worth their salt has recognized and predicted a serious shortfall in qualified available drivers in the next six to eighteen months...and beyond.

Bottom line...no one wants to do this job anymore.

The TL companies have been jerking drivers around for years...taking advantage of newbies not familiar with the pay structure of good companies and their unfamiliarity with the in and outs of truck driving.

This is a profession of OJT...it is not something you learn from a book. It is a profession of comraderie and the sense of being part of a group yet independent.

These companies don't ascribe to the 'independent' mindset...they want the expertise that drivers have but want nothing to do with the culture that accompanies the truck driving genre.

Primarily we are truck drivers...then we are employees. The truck driver mentality is not easily controlled. Company structures don't allow for this...they don't like it. For them it is a 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'. They want employees first and drivers second...it doesn't work that way. Companies that understand the trucker culture do well...those that don't usually go by the wayside.

Most peeps these days want nothing to do with OTR and I don't blame them...the lifestyle sucks...and these companies don't pay dick...

You HAVE to want to be a truck driver...if it something one decides to try...those that do usually bail.

Enter the LTL market.

LTLs have had the luxury of hiring the 'best of the best'...having extraordinary hiring qualifications...being able to pick and choose at will who they would or would not consider for employment.

That luxury will soon disappear.

Companies like this one with their never ending punitive measures aimed at divesting themselves of qualified long term employees with the knowledge and expertise of how to make things happen aren't going to survive.

This company has a reputation of one to be avoided. I have heard it time and again...and I agree.

The new generation of driver is not going to put up with this nonsense...they won't have to...there will be other companies willing to promote a more employee friendly atmosphere..erstwhile this bozo company will maintain the silliness they believe is quintessential to their survival.

They just kicked two highly qualified drivers to the curb as a 'warning' to others..."screw up and you are gone. We don't need you".

Give it a year and this company will be crying for drivers...all they will get are those that don't qualify for the companies that saw this coming and had the ability and foresight 'adapt and overcome'...

This company won't be one of them.

Rat

well said !

Last edited by a moderator:
bonedaddy, & rat integrity is just a word bandied about for the few drivers who still have hope that this company will turn around one day and adhere to the promises made from a long time ago. it will never happen this company is destined to fail as rat has so aptly put it COMMITTMENT = JOKE INTEGRITY =DECEIT SAFETY= SO WHAT JUST GO EXCELLENCE = WE HAVE OUR GOLDEN PARACHUTES SO SCREW YOU GUYS. WELCOME TO THE NEW IMPROVED CON-JOB FREIGHT. P.S. RAT I LOVE READING YOUR POSTS YOU ARE SO ON THE MONEY

You make less than you did 7 years ago.??? Ok, so you had another job. Your missing a lot of facts. And if your paying 400 MORE in benefits, well you've made some poor choieces. Nobody on here is going to challenge what you say, because they like the negative talk that make this company look bad.
I, for one, think your an indiot. Look Rat, another simple-minded follower.... now you have many... Go ahead bash away the company alll you want. hahahaha I'll make more this year than any other.
Not a lot of bitter people at our place, but then we all like to work and go by the rules......

Do some research, don't just listen to these rants. Yahoo Finance, Bloomberg, morning star..... check out what the experts predict. This company is projected to grow in revenue and operating profit by 10% next year. This company isn't going down the tubes as many of you say.. hahaha Do some research..

Do some research, don't just listen to these rants. Yahoo Finance, Bloomberg, morning star..... check out what the experts predict. This company is projected to grow in revenue and operating profit by 10% next year. This company isn't going down the tubes as many of you say.. hahaha Do some research..
If you are making less now then 7 years ago you must have been flipping burgers I'll make more this year then the other 11 years that I've been here you got to want it to make it.Driver shortage? The barn that I work out of has a steady stream of drivers coming in and with YRC's troubles there will be more drivers looking for that job you hate so much.Instead of crying on here all the time don't you think it's time to move on?

As far as promises made to me by the company vs. promises kept, Con-Way is batting 1000. If there is anything they do that shows a lack of integrity, I would have to say it's the progressive system of discipline when it comes to a DSR's company driving record.

To be specific, I think that every year a driver should earn merit points toward his driving record as opposed to the way the system is now. Example, you get a point in June of 2010 and another in May of '11. You now have two points against you and you get nothing positive coming your way until May of '12. I say if they want to show a bit more integrity and make this job more of a career as they brag, they should drop the first point in June of '11 and the driver would only be carrying one point forward until May of '12. In other words every year after an incident involving points, I think the driver should get some credit. Because in the real world, stuff really does happen, and not all accidents/incidents are preventable.

Rat, I'm not buying what you're selling. Perhaps you do not talk to drivers from the competition or read the other company's forums. I do both and when I feel a little bit of attitude toward Con-way, I just scroll over to the YRCW, CT, or R&L Forums and I don't feel so bad anymore.

Beerfd, you have aright to your opinion as I have a right to mine.You talk about me being negative and simple minded and then you slam me and call me an idiot, interesting. First, I have been at Con-way for over 20 years. I make less because our cost of living raise each year, if we get one, never seems to be as much as the rise in the cost of living, or is equalized by a rise in healthcare cost. I used to have free medical and in January 2011 the cost for me, my wife, and my kids will be in excess of $400 a month. I guess you could call it a poor choice, but I don't see me wanting benefits for my family as asking too much. And the retirement I was promised when I started with the company went from around $3000 a month to around $700 a month. And as for the company looking bad, they don't need me for that. I think they look pretty bad in some areas and very good in others. And although I agree with a lot of what Rat says, it doesn't make me a follower of his. in fact, I hope Rat is totally wrong in his thoughts about this companys future. I need it to prosper because i have spent my youth here and it is too late for me to leave and start over somewhere else. Oh, and Beerfd, I forgive you.

I wonder if Rat would bash Con-way Freight if someone he loves (doubt that) or himself came down with a grave illness. Would he complain with the no limit medical that comes out of all our pockets in profit dollars paid by the company. I've said this to you before Rat...see the whole picture before you spew your vomit.

Don't bite the horse that feeds you Rat boy!

All ya dummys trying to bash on RAT will look back some day and realize. Con-Job Con-spire Con-strict Con-sume....... The list could go on. You all will figure it out some day.

Yup, lack of integrity on the companies part. They preach how people are thier #1 asset, yet treat them like they are #50. I can't complain too much about local management, it seems to be what rolls down hill from above them that sucks. Con-way expects to be your #1 priority and cares very little about how it hurts your lives outside work, working a lot of OT, working holidays, blocked days, ect.

Compnayclown? your name tells all... You can only gather the followers behind you. Sorry but I can see thru all the BS that is spewed on here from jokers like you and the RAT boy.

Rat, I'm not buying what you're selling. Perhaps you do not talk to drivers from the competition or read the other company's forums. I do both and when I feel a little bit of attitude toward Con-way, I just scroll over to the YRCW, CT, or R&L Forums and I don't feel so bad anymore.

I am not selling anything...

My posts are just opinions on events that have occurred or may occur in the future. Mostly they are reflections on specific issues that many of the employees of the company have dealt with over the last several years. I don't make this stuff up...just offer a different perspective than the company would like for those affected to accept.

The events/enhancements of the last several years have adversely affected every employee of the company...some were necessary...many were not. A lot of these so called enhancements were 'in your face' implementations of takebacks using the economy as an excuse. The company has used the economic stress of the moment to do some really questionable things. In their quest to reduce the employee's relevance to the level of a McDonald's grill cook (specifically the drivers as they make up the lion's share of the employee numbers)...they have buffaloed hundreds into believing they are of no more importance than junk mail and just as irrelevant.

I don't buy it...neither will I ever accept the assinine ideology that so many have come to accept. This idea that drivers are something less than respectable being a non-profession and unskilled trade is pure unadulterated BS...pedaled by a group of college educated bean counters who have absolutedly NO IDEA of what trucking and truck drivers are all about.

These companies (and this one is not exempt and perhaps guiltier than the rest) have went to great lengths to reduce us and our expertise to burger flippers...

Not on my watch....

I will not relent...

I know what this company is capable of...I know first hand the quality of driver employed here and I also know first hand the concerns and worries many have.

The company has let them down...cut the rug out from beneath them...and has with malfeasance used certain circumstances to bold face lie...

I wish nothing but the best for Con-Way...always have and always will..

Its the management that is out of touch. They have no idea what is happening on the street or in the service centers.

Their only point of reference is the once a year 'Voices Survey'...and they think that gives them a pulse of what actually goes on in the field...either stunning arrogance or pathetic ignorance...perhaps both.

I read every post in every LTL forum every day...and constantly talk to drivers employed at Con-Way and other companies as well.

The conditions and concerns of the other enterprises have nothing to do with Con-Way...back in the day the company never compared themselves to others before...so why now?...we use to be the leader that other companies emulated...now they use us as a benchmerk of what NOT TO DO!!!!

YRC is in a mess...and the employees there are dealing with a terrible and unfortunate situation not of their own making.

CT...if you are referring to Central Transport owned by the Maroun family...you are really reaching for warm fuzzies comparing those folks to your own situation. Central Transport has been the butt of the LTL business for years...and that is never going to change.

R&L is a privately held company...I have an opinion of what may be happening there but have no proof...so that I will keep to myself.

As I said before my posts are simply opinions (mostly formed from conversations with other drivers) and they are observations based on the questionable ethics and lack of integrity on the company's part to follow through with what they promised.

Real leadership follows through with what the promised...greedy bean counting bastards have no consideration or conscious when it comes to affecting the lives of others.

Case in point...the two XID drivers.

I would like to read just one post that can adequately and intelligently justify the dismissal of these two drivers. Two with years of service...depending on the company to allow them to provide for their families...have job security...and save for a mistake were kicked to the curb. Yes these were serious infractions...neither was ticketed...yet Con-Way was called upon to deal with a situation that irritated them. They didn't like it and will have none of it from anyone else...so send a message and fire these two drivers...nice company...Right!!!

Go ahead and tell me what a wonderful company Con-Way is to work for...and I will tell you your argument is BS. Go ahead and bash on these two drivers for their unfortunate and costly mistakes...just watch your back...no one is exempt...as you may be next.

Remember you are part of a non-engaged team with no playbook...just a non-published rule book subject to anyones's interpretation in judging your worth and value with an eventual determination on your continuity with the company.

We may be idiots and simple minded...but we know what is going on and will not simply accept the company's insulting thought processes and their evaluation of our professional worth.

If that offends some of you...too bad!

I have nothing to sell.

Its the 'Integrity' company that has none doing the selling...and we ain't buying it.

Rat

If the two dipsh*ts didn't put THEMSELVES in the spotlight they would more then likely still be here,who would of guessed you need to carry a log book pure dumb as*ses.

Another good example: We need to take the vacation money and you (the drivers) need to take a pay cut and no raises. "WE NEED TO BE OUR OWN BANK" Before you know it we get E-trailers. Necessary? NO, we have been using loadracks for 20+ years with no problems. Here come the handhealds. Necessary? NO, we have been manifesting for 20+ years. Theres your integrity.