XPO | Do You Think That You Are Highly Skilled???

Is being a professional driver a skilled profession???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most people look down on truck drivers. My wife tells people I work in a wharehouse. Society thinks we are dirty, prideless theives and worse. After becoming a truck driver. And meeting some of the people I work with. I totally understand why.

I totally disagree with you. I think most people don't have opinions about truck drivers one way or the other.I have NEVER met anyone or heard of anyone that thinks we are dirty,lacking pride,thieves,and worse.I am proud of my profession and have no regrets.

I will say that OTR drivers do have some BO issues at times but its not there fault.

Con-Way thinks that we are unskilled. It shows too much. They hire trainees and teach them to drive, hire FOS's right off the street and train them. These are people that don't even know what the inside of a truck looks like. Their mentality is that anyone can do there jobs.

Valid point.

And it is not just Con-Way that has devalued the appreciable skills of the professional driver...all companies have the same mindset.

This is largely due to the unfortunate transformation of trucking company management heirarchies derived from BS degrees and not from real world experience. Youngsters with a college degree full of **** and vinegar wanting to make their mark in the world being involved in an industry they know little or nothing about. Bean counters whose only claim to fame is what they have learned in school via a text book or some professor who knows zilch about what we do.

Wallstreet holds much of the blame. Greedy CEOs wanting to garner as large a performance bonus as they can...albeit at the expense of those actually doing the job....(think John L.).

Truck driving is a highly skilled profession...(how many lives saved and accidents avoided did you have today???)

The problem lies in the fact that the front office doesn't want to see that way...for control purposes.

Convince the driver he/she is a 'dime a dozen' person and control is easy. Adolf Eichmann would be green with envy.

Con-Way over the years has taken this mindset to a level that is staggering...Henry Ford would be jealous.

Rat

I am pretty sure we were all GREEN when we first started driving.It took me along time to get the idea in my head to steer towards the problem and not away.No problems now but I can't back my car up anymore, I get out and let the wife do it.:LMAO:
i to cannot back up my damn truck its really quite pathetic trying to park at work and after about 8 hours on a forklift at the end of a long week try to use the turn signal as the reverse i need to be fired immediately if not sooner and with the new safety buckets im sure i will be

this profession is skilled labor,not everybody posseses the testicular fortitude to do this job,highways are crazy and we have to navigate them for hours on end anticipating the moves of other drivers not ot mention the weather ,all knowledge doesnt come in a textbook........skilled indeed

Oh yeah we got all kinds of doctors and lawyers that were like, screw it. I'm gonna drive a truck. NOT ! LOL You guys crack me up. Grocery store clerk is one of my many jobs. Being uneducated and unskilled. I spent my 20's doing whatever, wherever. I have stood with the mexicans to do simple labor. No shame in making a buck. But I am not the average person. Most people look down on truck drivers. My wife tells people I work in a wharehouse. Society thinks we are dirty, prideless theives and worse. After becoming a truck driver. And meeting some of the people I work with. I totally understand why.

Believe me or not I don't care. I have worked with guys that had full colege credits to be a teacher, a chemical engineer, a vetinarian, and a few other with just basic degrees. Just because some of you are too dumb to add 2+2 doesn't mean all of us are. Society does not look down on us you are a very misinformed self hating moron imo from what I've read of your posts. Go back and stand in line with your Mexican buddies. You're not the average person? Thank God for that. The fewer people like you around the better. :flame:

Believe me or not I don't care. I have worked with guys that had full colege credits to be a teacher, a chemical engineer, a vetinarian, and a few other with just basic degrees. Just because some of you are too dumb to add 2+2 doesn't mean all of us are. Society does not look down on us you are a very misinformed self hating moron imo from what I've read of your posts. Go back and stand in line with your Mexican buddies. You're not the average person? Thank God for that. The fewer people like you around the better. :flame:

Working at con-way you don't have time to mingle with society. How would you know what they think of you ? And if they told you... would you listen ? And when you do mingle with others, isn't it just the same trucking buddies that share your point of view ??

Working at con-way you don't have time to mingle with society. How would you know what they think of you ? And if they told you... would you listen ? And when you do mingle with others, isn't it just the same trucking buddies that share your point of view ??

Slow down highspeeds... your correct ispend way to much time mingling with people like you. truth is like medicine helpful in small doses dangerous and noxious when it's dumped down your throat.

Seems to me highspeeds isn't self-hating, rather a little more of a realist. Somebody with an attitude of doing what it takes to get the job done. Somebody who isn't so delusional that they accuse others of being too dumb to add 2+2 while they can't spell college or veterinarian themselves. Classic.

Seems to me highspeeds isn't self-hating, rather a little more of a realist. Somebody with an attitude of doing what it takes to get the job done. Somebody who isn't so delusional that they accuse others of being too dumb to add 2+2 while they can't spell college or veterinarian themselves. Classic.

So I misspelled some stuff, the point is he is saying how low it is to be a driver, how hated and despised we are and how dumb we are. That sounds like self loathing to me. So I didnt take the time to proof read every word, it's still the truth and you knew what I meant. At least I'm not some scum bag management type hanging out on a trucking board forum of a company I don't even work for. Who invited you over here anyway? A realist? hes a tool just like you. I am proud to be a truck driver and would correct my wife if she ever told anyone I worked in a warehouse. Unlike highspeeds wife though my wife is also proud of me and what I do. What would it be like to have your wife so ashamed of what you do that she has to lie to people about it? Man that would suck. Highspeeds you need to get a new wife or a new job if it's that embarrassing. Also I have the attitude of doing what it takes to get the job done. There is not 1 supervisor at my terminal from dispatch to dock fos (freight operations supervisor since you don't work here) to fom (freight operations manager) that does not want me working for them, or does not tell me on a daily basis when i do work in their sector or on the street what a good job I've done. You can take your opinions of what a truck driver/dock worker is and shove it up your arses both of ya. I know who I am and what I do and I am proud of it and feel it is a skilled job, an important job, and a respected job.

You are spending so much time on our forum I am starting to think that there is something behind this. You have hidden motives, don't you? I know, you want somebody to send you an application. I am pretty sure that a Conway terminal near you will be starting up a new driver school. If you want, maybe me and some of the other DRIVERS on the forum will put in a good word for you.:6792:

At least I'm not some scum bag management type hanging out on a trucking board forum of a company I don't even work for. Who invited you over here anyway?

You are spending so much time on our forum I am starting to think that there is something behind this. You have hidden motives, don't you?

First of all, it's quite entertaining and after a semi-stressful day at the office I can come here to dumb it down a bit. Some people like to go home and watch sitcoms. Well, this is kind of like a new sitcom I've found. Getting tired of some of the characters though. Maybe I'll change the channel.

Hidden motive. I don't know how hidden it is because I've mentioned it before. I'm an employer in the industry and as part of that industry it's a good idea to keep tabs on what's happening.

You know how stay at home mom's long for interaction with adults? Well, I am around skilled professionals all day, sometimes I need a change of pace too. ;)

Funny, how when someone resorts to the sophomoric argument that their adversary did not utilize sellcheck, their very own spelling needs work. But not in your case. It's your grammer that could improve.

Rattlehead communicated his thoughts very well and your only recourse is to belittle him. Is this how you improve your own self image?

First of all, it's quite entertaining and after a semi-stressful day at the office I can come here to dumb it down a bit. Some people like to go home and watch sitcoms. Well, this is kind of like a new sitcom I've found. Getting tired of some of the characters though. Maybe I'll change the channel.

Hidden motive. I don't know how hidden it is because I've mentioned it before. I'm an employer in the industry and as part of that industry it's a good idea to keep tabs on what's happening.

You know how stay at home mom's long for interaction with adults? Well, I am around skilled professionals all day, sometimes I need a change of pace too. ;)

Your political agenda has not gone un-noticed with your anti-Obama avatar. Some might find that avatar offensive. Do you care?

I work with alot of highly skilled professionals and with alot of guy's who just get the job done. I do not think anybody off the street is able or willing to do thi job at a high level. so it is a subjective question

Funny, how when someone resorts to the sophomoric argument that their adversary did not utilize sellcheck, their very own spelling needs work. But not in your case. It's your grammer that could improve.

Rattlehead communicated his thoughts very well and your only recourse is to belittle him. Is this how you improve your own self image?

Your political agenda has not gone un-noticed with your anti-Obama avatar. Some might find that avatar offensive. Do you care?

Touché. By the way it is grammar, not grammer and "but not in your case" is not a complete sentence. I guess we should all leave the throwing of stones to others.

I do have a question for you and the accepted etiquette here: If we are all just debating others' arguments, not their spelling or grammar, and they call somebody else a "stoopid maroon", is it okay to point out the irony? Or should we just laugh, shake our head and move on?

I could change my avatar back to my previous one; the Gadsden Flag. I changed it to prevent somebody with a more visual memory from confusing the author with somebody else. Some find that flag offensive, some find the anti-Obama avatar offensive. In my opinion, those that matter don't mind; those that mind don't matter.

Touché. By the way it is grammar, not grammer and "but not in your case" is not a complete sentence. I guess we should all leave the throwing of stones to others.

I do have a question for you and the accepted etiquette here: If we are all just debating others' arguments, not their spelling or grammar, and they call somebody else a "stoopid maroon", is it okay to point out the irony? Or should we just laugh, shake our head and move on?

I could change my avatar back to my previous one; the Gadsden Flag. I changed it to prevent somebody with a more visual memory from confusing the author with somebody else. Some find that flag offensive, some find the anti-Obama avatar offensive. In my opinion, those that matter don't mind; those that mind don't matter.

wat thu hell r u taukin bout i tout dis was bout skylld dwiver lbor oreo knot yu shuld strt ur owm post a bout gramer or or or

There is no doubt in my mind you live by that credo. I hope it works out well for you.

Thats funny, SCFreight is SLUMMING it with a bunch dumb truck drivers because it because it helps un-wind after a stressful day at the office.