XPO | Do You Think That You Are Highly Skilled???

Is being a professional driver a skilled profession???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I put us between skilled and semi skilled and here is why. Skilled labor requires a college degree or trade school certificate, it also requires that the worker be able to execute judgement. Most of the drivers I know, don't have a college degree, but many have some college including myself. But every driver I know is required to execute judgement and the consequences for deciding wrongly can be the difference between someone living or dying.

I put us between skilled and semi skilled and here is why. Skilled labor requires a college degree or trade school certificate, it also requires that the worker be able to execute judgement. Most of the drivers I know, don't have a college degree, but many have some college including myself. But every driver I know is required to execute judgement and the consequences for deciding wrongly can be the difference between someone living or dying.
I think every DRIVER that post here would agree

Personally , I believe commercial driving should be a trade. To fix what you mentioned ( trade school ) the requirements to get a CDL should be restructured in the style of a trade. Get rid of the crappy CDL "schools" that churn out iffy graduates.

A lot of times the difference between a terrible driver and a decent driver is how they were taught/trained. This can be fixed and this would go a long way towards raising the standard in the driving industry.

41 years in trucking, 4 years retired. Anyone can drive a truck! Just because the government puts requirements doesn’t mean it is skilled. Heck;all these requirements came basically after 9\11! Government had to do something to give the Americans a false sense of security! Just remember! Your not hired to think! “Just drive the truck”

41 years in trucking, 4 years retired. Anyone can drive a truck! Just because the government puts requirements doesn’t mean it is skilled. Heck;all these requirements came basically after 9\11! Government had to do something to give the Americans a false sense of security! Just remember! Your not hired to think! “Just drive the truck”
After 9/11 the only thing new was the TSA background check for anyone wanting a Hazmat endorsement and the TWC card for port access
The CDL licensing requirements started in 1986
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_driver's_license#cite_note-14
The Hours of Service start in 1938
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hours_of_service#Log_book
I'm not sure when the DOT Physical start but in 2014 doctors had to be on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners to give and sign off on you Physical

This is an example of why some might think this is not a skilled job. I know for a fact the drive put the placard on and hook the set. Even if the drive didn't put the placard on this just show how well he did a pre-trip. Now he didn't leave the yard like this because someone found him and pointed it out to him before I did.

iucBxzy.jpg

Last edited:
Does swing a hammer to drive a nail, use a saw to cut wood doesn't make me a Carpenter. Does wiring a light make me a electrician. Does making dinner make me a chef? Does driving a car make me a race car driver?
We all do many different thing in life you know "Jack of all trades. Master of none" doesn't mean that the one that do it for a living aren't skilled at there trade. Yes anyone can drive but a true professional does more than drive. He skilled at pre and post trip inspection, proper loading, backing, simple maintenance and repair of his equipment, and may others. I have always said anyone can drive these trucks straight down a highway. Put them in a metro area or having to back in the real tight place that were the skill of the job come out.
I am a Professional Truck Driver and in the 25+ years of driving I am always looking for ways to improve and increase my knowledge of ever aspect of the job. To me that what makes this a Skilled Job. I just sorry to say I am seeing more steer wheel holders then Pro Drivers at this company. What makes it worst is most come out of XPO own driving school.

Last edited:
I think every DRIVER that post here would agree
What about the driver that went to a trade school to get there CDL? The same school that say HVAC tech goes to also do CDL schools? No being a smart ass just pointing out.
I have to ask. We went through a govt shut down and how did that effect the county as a whole. Lots of people with college degrees. Now if drivers shut down the effect would be catastrophic is just 2 day or less. Just look what happened when the Teamster went on strike back in the 90s which was over 90% of all LTL freight. Just think of that happening today.

Last edited:
How long does it take for your average twentysomething with no prior experience to get a CDL and get a job as a truck driver?

It's a 6 week course, with a job straight out of school. And if you were unemployed, the state will pay for your school.

How many last? How many are around after a year or two after they start ? How many can hack it and stay out of accidents ?
You can teach someone but that doesn’t mean their going to be able to do it well.

Wrong questions. Those applied years ago when people with work ethics existed.

How many will do the work ? Show up every day ? Put in the hours ? You'll never get in a wreck, if you don't ever get in the truck.

What about the driver that went to a trade school to get there CDL? The same school that say HVAC tech goes to also do CDL schools? No being a smart ass just pointing out.
I have to ask. We went through a govt shut down and how did that effect the county as a whole. Lots of people with college degrees. Now if drivers shut down the effect would be catastrophic is just 2 day or less. Just look what happened when the Teamster went on strike back in the 90s which was over 90% of all LTL freight. Just think of that happening today.

A great run of posts there. Good words written.

And we wander why the public thinks we are nothing but dumb ass truck drivers and tells us our job is not a skilled job.
He dragged the dolly for 2 miles. My guess is the only reason this guy stopped was because he ran out of air.

d7Wep6d.jpg

And we wander why the public thinks we are nothing but dumb ass truck drivers and tells us our job is not a skilled job.
He dragged the dolly for 2 miles. My guess is the only reason this guy stopped was because he ran out of air.

d7Wep6d.jpg
Well , he/she was distracted by family issues. Not defending bad decisions , just pointing out that drivers are human and have ALL of the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of anyone else.

Maybe the driver needed time off to handle said family issues. He/she was at work instead.

Well , he/she was distracted by family issues. Not defending bad decisions , just pointing out that drivers are human and have ALL of the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of anyone else.

Maybe the driver needed time off to handle said family issues. He/she was at work instead.
You would think after you drop one trailer you would double check you hook. Family issue or not. I like to be sitting in the court room when he tells the family of someone he killed that he was distracted family issue.
This was clearly not a bad decision. I was a lack of doing you job correctly, plain and simple. How many time do we need to be told to check our hook.... How many?