XPO | Dock only workers

depends on what SC or FAC u work at, all pay differently, well most that is. and the ones I know of when you cross over from temp to hire, you keep the same rate of pay.

[quote author=radman link=topic=80148.msg829640#msg829640 date=1273810807]
I think the guys at my barn make $14 or $15.
[/quote]

Most are temps and have no investment in Con-Way's future or lack thereof...to them it is nothing more than a paycheck.

However we now have E-track trailers which will save the company...in tandem with Colin Braun and the almighty Mustang...how can we possibly go wrong?...just relax people...with these programs in place...FedEx Freight and OD are history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biglaugh: :chairshot: :biglaugh: :nutkick: :bash: :biggrin:

Rat

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=80148.msg829724#msg829724 date=1273844167]
Are we trying to start a back handed rumor????????
[/quote]

No.

My question is this...in all the recent videos...all we hear is how we compare to FedEx & OD...FedEX & OD...FedEx & OD...

Why?...

FedEx is apparently pursuing a growth strategy...hell bent on cornering the LTL market...building this and that...buying new equipment ...etc. How do we compare to them?...we don't...nowhere close...Fred S. & Co. are aggressively pursuing the lion's share of the market...seemingly doing whatever it takes to get it done...we can't even get out of the gate on time.

Then there is OD.

Its killing the managment types in this concern that OD is running close to the the same OR quarter after quarter. And OD doesn't pay OT until after 60 hours....as mentioned in a recent video...that once again compared our operation to OD.

Why was that little tidbit mentioned?....

It was a feeler...testing the waters...assessing feedback.

Your enhancements are not over by a long shot....they are going to cut the overtime pay by some measure...

Its not a case of if...its a case of when and by how much.

The palace will never admit the lack of profitabilty is directly related to the decisions made in the executive suite...that demands accountabillty...and responsibility...and they are not about to jeopardize their 7 figure salaries and bonuses to look out for the security of the average 'employee'..afterall..we are nothing more than a liabilty on a spreadsheet.

This company is morally corrupt.

When a person accepts the big chair...whether it is on the 'board' or the 'executive suite'...that position demands accountabilty...both to the stockholders and to the employees (of which I am both).

In said chair their comes a moral responsibility of knowing you have in your hands the future of your employees...their livelihood...and their financial security...

It has been demonstrated by this organization...the employee is not a concern...just manipulated...destroying the peace of anyone at any time just because they can...economically terminated...fired...so they don't have to pay benefits as their own policy dictates...

These bozos aren't finished yet...

Rat

You are wrong Rat. There is no way they are going to cut our overtime pay. Not going to happen, no way, no how. We are not OD and the people running this company are not as stupid as you think. By the end of this year we will have gotten back the rest of our pay and our 401K match, no more "enhancements".

that is not always the case. some temps arent just there for a paycheck. some do a damn good job, and they have plans of a future working for ConWay, others just dont give a crap, and are there to make a dime to leave, not caring how the load rides, not caring how much stuff got smashed into that night, they dont get the benefits, VVP, etc, so they say well why should it matter to us, y should we care to make the drivers more money. I know of a couple temps who are aspiring to get into the Apprentice Driving program, some have ambitions and dock work is not just a job to them, but going thru the agency is there only way in the door. I know of one who came aboard as a temp and proved himself to be damn good, and always at work, worked all ot they allowed, did the best job he could, and is now in the Apprentice Program, investing his time, for both his and conways future. NOT all temps are just in for a paycheck.

[quote author=Rat link=topic=80148.msg829938#msg829938 date=1273900959]
[/quote]

No.

My question is this...in all the recent videos...all we hear is how we compare to FedEx & OD...FedEX & OD...FedEx & OD...

Why?...

FedEx is apparently pursuing a growth strategy...hell bent on cornering the LTL market...building this and that...buying new equipment ...etc. How do we compare to them?...we don't...nowhere close...Fred S. & Co. are aggressively pursuing the lion's share of the market...seemingly doing whatever it takes to get it done...we can't even get out of the gate on time.

Then there is OD.

Its killing the managment types in this concern that OD is running close to the the same OR quarter after quarter. And OD doesn't pay OT until after 60 hours....as mentioned in a recent video...that once again compared our operation to OD.

Your enhancements are not over by a long shot....they are going to cut the overtime pay by some measure...

The palace will never admit the lack of profitabilty is directly related to the decisions made in the executive suite...that demands accountabillty...and responsibility...and they are not about to jeopardize their 7 figure salaries and bonuses to look out for the security of the average 'employee'..afterall..we are nothing more than a liabilty on a spreadsheet.

When a person accepts the big chair...whether it is on the 'board' or the 'executive suite'...that position demands accountabilty...both to the stockholders and to the employees (of which I am both).

In said chair their comes a moral responsibility of knowing you have in your hands the future of your employees...their livelihood...and their financial security...

It has been demonstrated by this organization...the employee is not a concern...just manipulated...destroying the peace of anyone at any time just because they can...economically terminated...fired...so they don't have to pay benefits as their own policy dictates...

Rat
[/quote]Actually, I think they are trying to put pressure on OD to pay their employees overtime. Your right, they keep mentioning how well OD is running and how much profit they make, just to let the drivers know that they could get OT pay like us, because their company can afford it.
Con-way is trying to even the playing field...and that's why they are always saying what a good company OD is.
But....if it doesn't work the way they want it to, then Rat may be right...

Why on earth would the folks in Ann Arbor want to be like OD? What makes you think they would eliminate OT? The only reason they mention them is because they want to put things in perspective for us. They always mention Fed-Ex and YRC as well, are we going to be like them? I am confident in our future and the only thing I am worried about is someone snagging my fishing spot tommorrow.

[quote author=radman link=topic=80148.msg829991#msg829991 date=1273931406]
You are wrong Rat. There is no way they are going to cut our overtime pay. Not going to happen, no way, no how. We are not OD and the people running this company are not as stupid as you think. By the end of this year we will have gotten back the rest of our pay and our 401K match, no more "enhancements".
[/quote]

Definitely not stupid!

Shrewd, cunning and calculating...but not stupid.

I hope you are right in your assessment...although I am not holding my breath at the moment.

However I will stick with my prediction of future "enhancing" changes...

The overcapacity in the market is not going away in the LTL market...it is in the truckload biz...but for the most part the LTL side of things isn't improving much.

Rat

what about the over capacity at my fishing spot??? :poke: :poke: :poke:

Only time will tell I guess, I am confident and hopeful that we "Con-way" will prevail and the good times will be here again, that all that was taken "minus our vacation because that is gone forever" will be returned with interest. I trust my SCM, I think he is a straight shooter and a smart guy to boot, if he says we are on the right track then I have to believe him. We are definitly busy, in spite of raising our rates, we are busy and that is saying alot.

[quote author=beerfd link=topic=80148.msg830084#msg830084 date=1273955007]
[quote author=Rat link=topic=80148.msg829938#msg829938 date=1273900959]
[/quote]

No.

Why?...

Then there is OD.

Rat
[/quote]Actually, I think they are trying to put pressure on OD to pay their employees overtime. Your right, they keep mentioning how well OD is running and how much profit they make, just to let the drivers know that they could get OT pay like us, because their company can afford it.
Con-way is trying to even the playing field...and that's why they are always saying what a good company OD is.
But....if it doesn't work the way they want it to, then Rat may be right...
[/quote]

At the risk of sounding contrary to the post...I will offer this.

Why would Con-Way want to put pressure on any company...OD or otherwise to pay OT?...

Yes it would level the playing field...but it is not conducive to the benefit of the bottom line.

If anything they would want all carriers to NOT pay OT at any level...IE R&L Carriers...unless mandated by some state labor law.

OD does not pay OT until after 60 hours...I am assuming FedEx does pay OT and most likely similar to what we do...after 8 hours...although I don't know for sure.

What I seriously question is the continuity of the OT after eight that we now pay...YRC has taken tremendous pay cuts and most likey ABF will follow suit. After that is done the only LTL carrier paying more than Con-Way and paying OT will be UPS Freight...which seems to just setting there...like a vulture circling waiting for something to die...then swoop down to scoop it up.

The OD business model is making money...operating continuosly under the 100 OR threshold...they didn't get into the rate cut pricing game as many others did. And they are continuing to grow.

We are managed by bean counters...they rule the roost. When they see the results of the OD model it gets noticed. OD is making money...we are not. The results of said observation is obvious...how do we obtain the selfsame results?...simply mirror the OD model.

The 'damning proof' in my assessment was layed out in the recent VPP video...Bruce M. said the pay structure would be market based...so what the hell did that mean? After some research on the portal in the Q&A section I discovered 'market based' meant cost of labor in a given area...not cost of living.

This 'little' tidbit of information was not included in the video...

Cost of labor in a given area as opposed to cost of living while sounding similar are quite different.

It is just another way to avoid leveling the wages and benefits playing field across the enterprise...therefore cutting the cost of labor...based on the cost of labor in any given area.

If this sounds like BS...it is because it just that...BS!...however we will have to endure it...as we have no choice if we wish to continue to be employed by the company.

The countinual comparison to FedEx Freight is rather obvious...for the most part we operate the same...same basic operating model...but different business models..separated by a large crevasse in ideologies...FedEx is on one hell of a growth and expansion program...we are not.

In the latest video John L. made mention of reducing volumes to manageable levels...negotiating with customers on an individual basis...ridding ourselves of non-profitable freight.

We took on too much.

After the misguided and obviously failed re-engineering of Nov. 08 it has become clear we no longer have the ability or capacity to be effective in servicing the level of volumes we are currently handling...or attempting to handle.

We are struggling.

It is now backpedal time...trying to downsize ourselves into profitability...this has never worked.

My bottom line observation is this...we are caught between the profitable business model of OD...and the aggessiveness of FedEx...both of which are going to affect the company...as dictated by the bean counters.

They want to grow...good...and want to reduce costs..more good...but where is the easy fix?...reduction of wages and benefits...which they have demonstrated in the recent past having no qualms in 'enhancing' our pay package...not good.

The economy is rebounding...slowly...volumes are up...and no profit.

But there is along way to go. Housing is still in the toilet...manufacturing is walking a precarious tightrope...the financial markets are in disarray...and we are supporting two wars we don't have the committment to win...and then there is the always looming world money markets...not to mention the trade deficits.

Any major disruptions of the afforementioned has the potential to disrupt and erase any gains realized...

This isn't over by a long shot!...

Neither is the 'enhancement' mentality.

Rat

[quote author=radman link=topic=80148.msg829991#msg829991 date=1273931406]
By the end of this year we will have gotten back the rest of our pay and our 401K match, no more "enhancements".
[/quote]Hope you are correct but I'm not going to hold my breath.

[quote author=carrot-nutz link=topic=80148.msg830326#msg830326 date=1274030337]
beefrd any news on bracy
[/quote]Not sure what you are talking about...I know that name, but he works in Garland

[quote author=carrot-nutz link=topic=80148.msg830590#msg830590 date=1274096652]
he rolled near ltu over a week ago
[/quote]Didn't know about that