Holland | Dock To Driver Interview

Jeremy Lawson

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey everyone, I have an interview Wednesday for a dock to driver position. I was told that I would work the dock for 90 days and then go with a driver mentor until I'm comfortable. Are most guys still on the dock after 90 days? I don't care really if I worked the dock permanently as long as I get good hours. I'm just asking because it seems that since Holland and YRC joined forces that they might be desperate for people. I'll probably take it if it's offered because I don't have steady hours where I am at now and I think most LTL jobs can be good in the long run. I appreciate your help!

Yes , you will get steady hours and it will be night close shift , and winter time it's -10 below out there ,with snow blowing across the dock too and pretty sure you will get hired as we are very very very short help now and you will have to pay to join union ask how much that is and pay up front . Good Luck to you !

Yes , you will get steady hours and it will be night close shift , and winter time it's -10 below out there ,with snow blowing across the dock too and pretty sure you will get hired as we are very very very short help now and you will have to pay to join union ask how much that is and pay up front . Good Luck to you !
I appreciate your help. What do the night hours consist of if you don't mind me asking?

They will work you for at least 90 days on dock to see if you are worth training. When they do the mentor program they basically have to pay you and your mentor/trainer to do one man's job. So they make sure you are worth putting time and money into. If you have a good work ethic you'll make it. We actually have found some decent help this way at our terminal. I think it's actually a good program. Some are a little hard on equipment but no more than some of the guys they brought in with experience.

They will work you for at least 90 days on dock to see if you are worth training. When they do the mentor program they basically have to pay you and your mentor/trainer to do one man's job. So they make sure you are worth putting time and money into. If you have a good work ethic you'll make it. We actually have found some decent help this way at our terminal. I think it's actually a good program. Some are a little hard on equipment but no more than some of the guys they brought in with experience.
I appreciate the information.

Well, I had my interview today. I don't think he was very interested in me because towards the end of the interview he said that he would have to see how many positions are open. I'm hoping I'm wrong but in my opinion he already has as idea of how many positions he has open and I'm not gonna be the right candidate. Everyone seemed nice there and I think it would be a good opportunity. We'll see what happens.

That is kind of an odd thing for him to say Jeremy, and I would guess that he DOES know how many openings he has. So I would probably have the same feeling that you do, but you never know what those people are really thinking sometimes. Good luck either way.

Well, I had my interview today. I don't think he was very interested in me because towards the end of the interview he said that he would have to see how many positions are open. I'm hoping I'm wrong but in my opinion he already has as idea of how many positions he has open and I'm not gonna be the right candidate. Everyone seemed nice there and I think it would be a good opportunity. We'll see what happens.
If you don't hear back after a couple days, call the TM and inquire. Lets him know you're motivated and still interesred.

Well, I had my interview today. I don't think he was very interested in me because towards the end of the interview he said that he would have to see how many positions are open. I'm hoping I'm wrong but in my opinion he already has as idea of how many positions he has open and I'm not gonna be the right candidate. Everyone seemed nice there and I think it would be a good opportunity. We'll see what happens.[/QUOTEw[/QUOTE.]
. It might be he has a few dock to driver candidates. I know at our terminal we have a couple of guys that want to do this but TM doesn't want to many at one time. When you start your driving with a mentor you count against the terminal delivery bills per hour. So basically you have 2 guys doing 1 man's job and it hurts their numbers. At our terminal we only do 1 at a time due to this.

If the Terminal Managers have people in training and their boss is giving them heck about he numbers, they need to remind their boss about the trainee(s). And with some math skills, they should be able to shut their boss up about the numbers. Unless the TM's numbers are bad with or without the trainees. Then that's a different argument that can't be explained away.
If the division level bosses don't realize that the numbers will suffer a bit until the trainees are on there own, they probably shouldn't be at division level either.......because they are a narrow minded dumbass.

If the Terminal Managers have people in training and their boss is giving them heck about he numbers, they need to remind their boss about the trainee(s). And with some math skills, they should be able to shut their boss up about the numbers. Unless the TM's numbers are bad with or without the trainees. Then that's a different argument that can't be explained away.
If the division level bosses don't realize that the numbers will suffer a bit until the trainees are on there own, they probably shouldn't be at division level either.......because they are a narrow minded dumbass.
I totally agree. These are the same people that harp on rewieghs every day also. Now i agree that there is probably some money to be made on rewieghs on maybe 5% of our freight. The other 95% we are just wasting our time reweighing. But you can't tell them that. I've asked multiple times to show figures for money made on rewieghs and they never answer. We hear it daily, "we hit 98% on rewieghs." Or "we did bad on rewieghs yesterday, if we don't improve I'm writing people up". Big number pushers around here. Pisses me off. Why don't we run the numbers on how we can pay off our debts and get our people back up to full scale, those numbers we don't run. We only focus on irrelevant s**t around here.

Could I ask what terminal you're applying at?. We have several who are in training at MI, that seem to be doing good.

. It might be he has a few dock to driver candidates. I know at our terminal we have a couple of guys that want to do this but TM doesn't want to many at one time. When you start your driving with a mentor you count against the terminal delivery bills per hour. So basically you have 2 guys doing 1 man's job and it hurts their numbers. At our terminal we only do 1 at a time due to this.
Never heard about this,. We have several here in MI who are in the pipeline.

Never heard about this,. We have several here in MI who are in the pipeline.
We also have a few in the pipeline. I'm just saying I was told at my terminal they didn't want to do to many at a time due to numbers. Also since July 1st we slowed down a bit at our terminal. Lost a couple of accounts due to rate cutting. I don't know if that happened to us system wide.

We also have a few in the pipeline. I'm just saying I was told at my terminal they didn't want to do to many at a time due to numbers. Also since July 1st we slowed down a bit at our terminal. Lost a couple of accounts due to rate cutting. I don't know if that happened to us system wide.
I'm hoping that he is just trying to plan ahead and not get too many trainees in at once.

Last edited: