SAIA | Dock worker pay

vetran peddleman

FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
I’m a retired LTL driver with over 30 years of dock experience and peddling freight. I now work a part time dock only job for a small regional LTL. Before I landed my current job, I checked many different LTL pay for dock help and found Saia to offer the best wages to potential dock employees. Offering $20.67- $25.93 an hour. Pay starting at $23.63 w/ 18 months of LTL biz experience.
Question: If one starts out at $23.63 at your company, does that employee max out pay at $25.93, or does he/she continue to ramp up their hourly pay rate with annual pay raises throughout their career with Saia?

I’m a retired LTL driver with over 30 years of dock experience and peddling freight. I now work a part time dock only job for a small regional LTL. Before I landed my current job, I checked many different LTL pay for dock help and found Saia to offer the best wages to potential dock employees. Offering $20.67- $25.93 an hour. Pay starting at $23.63 w/ 18 months of LTL biz experience.
Question: If one starts out at $23.63 at your company, does that employee max out pay at $25.93, or does he/she continue to ramp up their hourly pay rate with annual pay raises throughout their career with Saia?
Thx for all the feedback drivers

Not much activity on Saia board here.

You'll max out at whatever the top rate is for the job, then get annual increases per that job. You won't make more or less than the guy running the fork next to you.
Thx driver for all the info that you provided concerning my question. It was very helpful.

I had no clue that the lack of driver participation on your site was the reason why I had to wait soooooooooo long for a response from anyone.

Thank you again…sorry for the satire on my part.

This used to be a very active board/group. I do know that Saia monitors this (and other) message board - so maybe that is a deterrent to some and keeps them from posting. I know that Saia is more reaction than proactive. I guess that's just their management philosophy, and who is to say if that is right or wrong. I would tell you that unsolicited advice is generally frowned upon. Saia isn't real big on recognizing areas for improvement, especially if that improvement is on the observation or advice of someone within the company. They want you to stay in your lane. Be the best dock worker you can and no more. Just an observation.

This used to be a very active board/group. I do know that Saia monitors this (and other) message board - so maybe that is a deterrent to some and keeps them from posting. I know that Saia is more reaction than proactive. I guess that's just their management philosophy, and who is to say if that is right or wrong. I would tell you that unsolicited advice is generally frowned upon. Saia isn't real big on recognizing areas for improvement, especially if that improvement is on the observation or advice of someone within the company. They want you to stay in your lane. Be the best dock worker you can and no more. Just an observation.
Having retired from SAIA I can attest you are correct. Most that kept this forum alive have retired and although I have many close friends that still work here and could answer many questions I choose to remain silent.

Thx for the explanation bb

Forget the conspiracy theories always thrown out by a couple of these posters. Take this from former SAIA management that left earlier this summer. This isn't monitored by management. They honestly do not care what is said on hear and understand 99% is BS anyway. The ones that would spout off and bash the company online are the same ones complaining in the break room.

If y'all really want a surprise. 99% of the managers at the company agree with a lot of the complaints employees have. At the same time they also see the big picture and realize a lot of local complaints are BS. You don't know how often the biggest complainers bring 99% of their issues on themselves by their own actions or lack thereof.

To the original poster I'll just say if you have the opportunity jump on board. I worked for 5 LTL carriers and SAIA treated their dock guys better than any of the others. If you go to work and do your job you will have zero problems. By far the best carrier I worked for in the industry.

Forget the conspiracy theories always thrown out by a couple of these posters. Take this from former SAIA management that left earlier this summer. This isn't monitored by management. They honestly do not care what is said on hear and understand 99% is BS anyway. The ones that would spout off and bash the company online are the same ones complaining in the break room.

If y'all really want a surprise. 99% of the managers at the company agree with a lot of the complaints employees have. At the same time they also see the big picture and realize a lot of local complaints are BS. You don't know how often the biggest complainers bring 99% of their issues on themselves by their own actions or lack thereof.

To the original poster I'll just say if you have the opportunity jump on board. I worked for 5 LTL carriers and SAIA treated their dock guys better than any of the others. If you go to work and do your job you will have zero problems. By far the best carrier I worked for in the industry.
Absolutely true. SAIA is the best non unionized carrier in the business. Do your job and you won’t have any problems. Start F-ing off and your history. A completely different culture here. Unlike the unionized carriers.

Thx Rambler but I think I’ll stay put where I am. I had some old chronic health issues
flare up and told my boss that I quit,( needed to increase my meds and did and now feel better). Upon hearing that news, my o/b super said let’s sit down and see if we can make a deal to keep you. So I proposed to him to cut my hours from 25 to 12 per week, Monday - Thursday instead of Monday- Friday, and he said okay. Then he offered me a 10% hourly rate increase, and gave me a 20% raise to my pleasant surprise. And then said that I could have two weeks off this year only being with the company for 10 months. Plus the terminal is only 8 minutes from my house. What More could I ask for? Doubt that Saia would have matched what I have now. I’m truly blessed when I think about it.

I'm not going to debate here, but I still have the actual paper addressed to me by Saia that said I was being laid off due to economic pressures and my lack of seniority. I remember that day well, as I argued that a company who was so anti-union as Saia was taking a union approach to this matter. My posts are completely based on facts and experience...maybe yours was different but I'm speaking firsthand. I no longer have a skin in the game, as I have moved on to greener pastures. Life is too short and there are too many jobs to stay somewhere that cultivates the culture that doesn't fit my values. Personal choices people. Saia is a decent company overall, but doesn't even belong in the same conversation as OD.

Is that how you got fired?
If it makes you feel better to think that I’m ok with it. As my co-workers know… I left on my terms through retirement. Cake in the break room and congratulations from them was pretty cool. I must say I miss SAIA in many ways but retirement suits me well. It was a privilege to work for them. Jon….Zack….Kyle…. Good people! :1036316054::1036316054::1036316054:

If it makes you feel better to think that I’m ok with it. As my co-workers know… I left on my terms through retirement. Cake in the break room and congratulations from them was pretty cool. I must say I miss SAIA in many ways but retirement suits me well. It was a privilege to work for them. Jon….Zack….Kyle…. Good people! :1036316054::1036316054::1036316054:
I heard you got a better job installing stop signs for the city.

Having retired from SAIA I can attest you are correct. Most that kept this forum alive have retired and although I have many close friends that still work here and could answer many questions I choose to remain silent.
I know how that works, you remain silent at home till mama tells you it's ok to speak!