Dayton | Does Dayton run single axle or tandems in linehaul?

Why would you think tandems are better in bad weather? For the same weight on a trailer single axle has higher weight loading on the drive tires giving better adhesion/traction on slippery roads.
Tri, I guess he never drove one of our tamdems>

Why would you think tandems are better in bad weather? For the same weight on a trailer single axle has higher weight loading on the drive tires giving better adhesion/traction on slippery roads.
Tell that to the chicago doubles who spin out and end up facing us against traffic flow on the freeway towards Ann Arbor or Detriot on sheet ice. Ends up going under the single axle to put on chains to go anywhere in the correct direction.

Sometimes I toss a chain to the tractor and pups from my ICC Bumper and haul them dead weight straight in the right direction a few times. Just dont tell my shop that they now have a trailer with a bent ICC bumper.

Run into them all the time. Now he has to put on chains in a raging sleet that turned into snow and oncoming traffic that cannot be bothered to know the danger ahead with the pups blocking the whole thing.

Part of the fault lies with Chicago DOT that salts everything when it begins. It turns into a special kind of mess that you need interlock and deep reduction to get on through loaded.

Single drives wont help you there. Show me a driver who can get a single drive axle through that mess and I'll say that driver taught Jesus how to walk on water.

Tell that to the chicago doubles who spin out and end up facing us against traffic flow on the freeway towards Ann Arbor or Detriot on sheet ice. Ends up going under the single axle to put on chains to go anywhere in the correct direction.

Sometimes I toss a chain to the tractor and pups from my ICC Bumper and haul them dead weight straight in the right direction a few times. Just dont tell my shop that they now have a trailer with a bent ICC bumper.

Run into them all the time. Now he has to put on chains in a raging sleet that turned into snow and oncoming traffic that cannot be bothered to know the danger ahead with the pups blocking the whole thing.

Part of the fault lies with Chicago DOT that salts everything when it begins. It turns into a special kind of mess that you need interlock and deep reduction to get on through loaded.

Single drives wont help you there. Show me a driver who can get a single drive axle through that mess and I'll say that driver taught Jesus how to walk on water.
You used a lot of words but didn't refute what I said - that single axle has better adhesion/traction than tandems for the same trailer weight. And better adhesion/traction doesn't mean 100% traction all the time under all conditions.

You used a lot of words but didn't refute what I said - that single axle has better adhesion/traction than tandems for the same trailer weight. And better adhesion/traction doesn't mean 100% traction all the time under all conditions.
Sorry Tri, but I don't agree....while you are right that you have more weight in the single axle but the twin screw has twice the footprint or contact with the ground....and if one tire were to break traction due to ice or some other slickness the other tire might still be on ground getting good traction.....besides that between the two axles the combined weight would be the same....

... and in trucking the drives are engineered to break traction and refuse to spin if necessary.

To avoid damaging its own rears etc.

God had to invent double lockers before he got to work getting the Earth Rolling.

He he.

Sorry Tri, but I don't agree....while you are right that you have more weight in the single axle but the twin screw has twice the footprint or contact with the ground....and if one tire were to break traction due to ice or some other slickness the other tire might still be on ground getting good traction.....besides that between the two axles the combined weight would be the same....
Nope, the laws of physics prove me right. The example you give of one tire breaking traction doesn't change the fact of how much pressure each individual tire exerts on the ground. The tire getting the power still has the same weight on it. Just because the other wheel is slipping doesn't mean it's going to stick to the road any better. Think about it, twice the footprint carrying the same weight means 1/2 the weight on each tire. Adhesion/traction is directly proportional to weight on the tire. A maxed out single axle is allowed 20,000# which equates to 5000# weight on each tire. A tandem axle maxed out at 34,000# means 4250# on each tire. Right there you can see the maxed out single axle exerts more force on the road surface than the maxed out tandem. More force on the road surface means more adhesion/traction. In a situation where each tractor is pulling the same weight, it's obvious the single axle will have twice the force exerted on the road surface per tire than the tandem. It doesn't matter how many tires are contacting the road, what matters is how much pressure (from weight on them) each tire exerts on the road. That's what determines how much traction you'll have. Assuming the same load, I'll take a single axle tractor in snow/ice any time over a screw.

Nope, the laws of physics prove me right. The example you give of one tire breaking traction doesn't change the fact of how much pressure each individual tire exerts on the ground. The tire getting the power still has the same weight on it. Just because the other wheel is slipping doesn't mean it's going to stick to the road any better. Think about it, twice the footprint carrying the same weight means 1/2 the weight on each tire. Adhesion/traction is directly proportional to weight on the tire. A maxed out single axle is allowed 20,000# which equates to 5000# weight on each tire. A tandem axle maxed out at 34,000# means 4250# on each tire. Right there you can see the maxed out single axle exerts more force on the road surface than the maxed out tandem. More force on the road surface means more adhesion/traction. In a situation where each tractor is pulling the same weight, it's obvious the single axle will have twice the force exerted on the road surface per tire than the tandem. It doesn't matter how many tires are contacting the road, what matters is how much pressure (from weight on them) each tire exerts on the road. That's what determines how much traction you'll have. Assuming the same load, I'll take a single axle tractor in snow/ice any time over a screw.
I'll take a single axle over a screw in any weather.

Still don't agree because even with more force exerted on one tire the fact remains you would still have two tires driving on a tandem.....now I understand why seabreeze has you on ignore.....

Still don't agree because even with more force exerted on one tire the fact remains you would still have two tires driving on a tandem.....now I understand why seabreeze has you on ignore.....
It doesn't matter how many tires are driving. What matters is how much pressure each tire exerts on the road surface. That is what determines slippage or traction. You can disagree all you want and put me on ignore if you like. I'm sure someone else will tell you what I say! :hilarious: :438:

redneck GIF

Did you come up with that theory after you got done hanging out with wong?