ODFL | Dollies

Even though I carry a dummy gladhand,I still prefer to hook the airlines including the outlet hose to the dummy gladhand on the frame lessens the risk of having a hose dragging on the ground.

the rearest equipment has to have lights and mudflaps whether u bobtailing with dolly or 1 trailer with dolly. if u have a trailer behind dolly then dolly does not need mudflaps or lights.

Putting air to pintle(wether you use a dummy or run air to the dolly)causes the plunger to make a tight and even more secure connection,it prevents premature wear of both the pintle and the hook eye of the dolly plus grounds the lights on the dolly, if the plunger isn't out there's really nothing grounding the electrics on the dolly,and in conclusion its not good PR to have the jiff just banging around on the hook.

I always bungy all of my lines down to the frame when I tag. Keeps everything in place and nothing dragging or flying out. As far as mud flaps, state law if you pull triples you have to have mud flaps on all gear. If it is raining, we have to put on rain skirts, horse hairs, whatever you want to call them. My thought is, I wish they would phase out all of the multiple kinds of gear. We are limited here in our state. Different gear are different lengths, some have mud flaps others don't. Some have pogo sticks, ya I've had to stop and tie the wheel up with bungy cords, because it broke and was dragging on the ground. I really like pulling the 845 to 846 series. I can get by with the length and they are pretty sound gear. But get basically like gear system wide. Remember it's just a thought. Anyway be safe and have a great week.

Been 3 years since at SLC, use to have area for shorter dollies, plus was painting noses for triple only use identification.. (Unless no others available). Was a few times asked to take a triple jiff to Hermingston, OR and bring a standard back.

Well,didn't work very well.Them freak'n dolly's lost my safety bonus last year.Cause there are a pain in the rear"shorter"
Been 3 years since at SLC, use to have area for shorter dollies, plus was painting noses for triple only use identification.. (Unless no others available). Was a few times asked to take a triple jiff to Hermingston, OR and bring a standard back.

Those short dollies made it to the east coast.Cause some driver thought they were shine-eeeeee...I had a 790 with a 588 has rear.Nasty,Nasty..Got them caught corner to corner at a customer's yard that was rough.Those old trailer pin's sit farther back&with the shorter dolly.Well!!!!!!

What numbers do the short dollies start with so I can avoid them? I'd imagine the odd one gets down to atl occasionally. Glad toy guys can keep all them details straight...

They are the grey aluminum.Newest one's.They are OK with the new trailer's.You just need to watch it when you are pulling a old 586,587,588 has your rear
What numbers do the short dollies start with so I can avoid them? I'd imagine the odd one gets down to atl occasionally. Glad toy guys can keep all them details straight...

Camelbacks, few scattered throughout the system and any set of series # . Just visual can tell shorter. If you get an old nose bar trailer, be especially careful. Don't be afraid to call in if that's only equipment available, state reason and note who you spoke with. Hooked to a reefer while back, only foot clearance from stack (11 Cascadia) to reefer, {customer had put in dock} took photo and sent to dispatcher, 1st dip of any kind would have caused damage, Columbias have more room, so dispatch changed assignment.

don't put air to the dolly when dragging it behind a single pup, no need. once you get moving it will ride nicely in the groove that the plunger pushes it into when aired up. and why would you put air to it and leave the petcock open????? pull into a scale with that thing pissin away, good luck

don't put air to the dolly when dragging it behind a single pup, no need. once you get moving it will ride nicely in the groove that the plunger pushes it into when aired up. and why would you put air to it and leave the petcock open????? pull into a scale with that thing pissin away, good luck
Who said anything about leaving the petcock open?

Been tagging gear behind a set for many years. If we have 3 trailers that are too heavy to pull as triples, our dispatch will have us bring back a set and tag a gear, keeps the pool in order. Sometimes, we will pull a empty back behind a loaded set. When I tag, I have a dummy emergency glad hand. I put that on my trailer on open the emergency valve, that sets the plunger on the pintel hook, connect the light cord and service line without opening it. Also I open the petcock or air release on the gear, reason is if there is any leftover air in the tank it could accidentally set the brakes while you are driving causing them to smoke and possibly catch fire. Trust me, I learned the hard way. You can get a dummy glad hand from your shop. That's where I got mine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

well heres my experience, just this week i pulled one and put air to it as was advised here, all was good for a couple miles, then checked the mirrors, pretty sweet smoke show. ive pulled them before with no air, no problems at all. ive only done it 2 or 3 times before since everyone in my region is so uptight about the trailer pools regardless of the snow, wind etc., you leave with 2, you come back with 2

I've put air to them for past 30 years and haven't had one heat up yet,I must be doing something wrong..

well heres my experience, just this week i pulled one and put air to it as was advised here, all was good for a couple miles, then checked the mirrors, pretty sweet smoke show. ive pulled them before with no air, no problems at all. ive only done it 2 or 3 times before since everyone in my region is so uptight about the trailer pools regardless of the snow, wind etc., you leave with 2, you come back with 2

I think you are misunderstanding, in the post where he says he leaves the petcock open he is not supplying air to the dolly, he puts a dummy glad on the emergency side to set the plunger. He then leaves the petcock open just incase there is any left over air in the tank. I don't care how anyone does it, when they are pulling it it is theirs, do it how you want. The guy that posted above you about leaving the petcock open is how I do it, but like I said I do not charge the dolly with air, I leave it open to drain any air that may be left in the tank.

I've put air to them for past 30 years and haven't had one heat up yet,I must be doing something wrong..

Do you open the service side to? I have never done that just cause I was worried about locking the tires up on the dolly when I stop, not saying that would happen I have just never tried it before.

I think you are misunderstanding, in the post where he says he leaves the petcock open he is not supplying air to the dolly, he puts a dummy glad on the emergency side to set the plunger. He then leaves the petcock open just incase there is any left over air in the tank. I don't care how anyone does it, when they are pulling it it is theirs, do it how you want. The guy that posted above you about leaving the petcock open is how I do it, but like I said I do not charge the dolly with air, I leave it open to drain any air that may be left in the tank.

You're right, I misunderstood. I thought it was left open so the dolly tank wouldn't fill with air, which made no sense to me. But I will admit, everything I know about air brakes goes out the window when it comes to these dollies.

Do you open the service side to? I have never done that just cause I was worried about locking the tires up on the dolly when I stop, not saying that would happen I have just never tried it before.
I only left the service side on once,I had to shut it off if I wanted any tread left on the dolly tires when I arrived at destination,they lock even with a light application of the brakes.