XPO | Done!!!

When I retired, I thought I'd take a couple months off, then find something part time. After those couple months I decided I like having nothing to do. Yesterday, I had nothing to do, but I didn't finish, so I'm doing nothing again today. :joyous:
That is funny. Its what I do.
My wife doesn't want my help.
I do too many shortcuts.
I never slept at work. Even when I was sick. 20 (18) years of minimal sleep because of a health issue. I've seen people sleep on lifts all the time. But I never did. Drool.
As for another job. No.
I was gonna as mentioned.
But ya just put yourself back on a work schedule. Even part time.
I like my schedule now. I have none.
Except for ice cream trips. Gotta stock up!
(I don't drink. So that's my vice)

Yesterday was the last time that I put on the black and red. With 37 years driving for 4 different companies, it’s time for me now. No more lift gate deliveries, no more winters to endure, and no more early wake ups. It really hasn’t hit me that I didn’t have to go back to work today. I don’t think that it will hit me next week either. It’s gonna take time to adjust to being my own boss for a change...but I think I’m gonna like it.
Quick, somebody pinch me so I don’t think that I’m only dreaming?
Congratulations man you deserve it .l retired 13 mo ago after 40 in the business 32 with cc x Conway xpo always said I was going to work , after 13 months I dont know how I had time to work. Don't rush into anything enjoy your time you earned it.

People that haven't retired schedule naps. Hell drivers I work with schedule naps everyday! I must make bad choices because I can't arrange a nap everyday. I can't sleep at work. Maybe I should retire?:6799:
Do these drivers schedule their naps to coincide with their lunch break, or are they just pulling over to catch a few zz’s hoping management won’t notice the lack of the movement of their vehicle,( with gps ), ? Maybe you should ask these napping drivers what their trick is to pulling off napping while working. Then you’d be in the know and be enabled to take a nap while working and not have to retire and schedule napping like us retirees do. LOL

Congratulations man you deserve it .l retired 13 mo ago after 40 in the business 32 with cc x Conway xpo always said I was going to work , after 13 months I dont know how I had time to work. Don't rush into anything enjoy your time you earned it.
Thx man
Great advise. Today is only my 2nd work day that I have been away from work and I’m already falling into a state of shameful laziness. I went to bed last nite , (actually the wee hours of today), at 01:33, woke up at 10:30 and have done nothing but look at my I-phone, watch tv , and run a short errand for the wife and it’s now 16:48. Wow what a waste of time. Tomorrow I’ll try to be more disciplined, and productive and get a few things done around here. Tomorrow’s agenda...make a list of all the things that I want to do,or at
least attempt to get done, for the next couple of weeks or so .
Oh the stress of it all...NOT !!!

See.
I don't plan anything.
No lists of what to do.
No fun in that.
I just do what comes naturally. Usually nothing and my days have flown by.
I don't know either as mentioned above where I had time to go to work!
This is a great thread..... Enjoy. It's the best. The American way!

Do these drivers schedule their naps to coincide with their lunch break, or are they just pulling over to catch a few zz’s hoping management won’t notice the lack of the movement of their vehicle,( with gps ), ? Maybe you should ask these napping drivers what their trick is to pulling off napping while working. Then you’d be in the know and be enabled to take a nap while working and not have to retire and schedule napping like us retirees do. LOL
Just park near a customer.

“oh, I was waitin for a door to open”.

Just park near a customer.

“oh, I was waitin for a door to open”.
When I would pull up to a customer and all the dock doors were busy I would text management and say “delay here at such and such a customer three trucks ahead will keep you advised“. Yeah, I can see how that would work to grab a nap.
Another way to have down time was at the end of my day when all my deliveries were off and pic made. I’d text management and ask what was next. I wouldn’t move the truck till I knew which way they’d want me to go. Many times I’d sit at my last stop for 10 minutes or more waiting for further instructions. Another opportunity to get in a quick nap.

See.
I don't plan anything.
No lists of what to do.
No fun in that.
You like this thread cause it’s ‘The Retirement Thread’ and of course you’re retired.. me too that’s why I like it also.

Did you have any scores to settle , or did all of that melt away the closer you got to retiring?

And was there any recognition for your service , or did you want a quiet exit?
Did you have any scores to settle , or did all of that melt away the closer you got to retiring?

no scores to settle, I gave trying to get what I wanted from this company years ago.
No retirement party yet either . It was set to happen last Friday morning but my scm wanted me to put it off till nov 6th. Why? He said that he was too stressed with the roll out of the new els/vnomics update this past week end and upcoming week. No time for anything but business apparently till this update blows over.

See.
I don't plan anything.
No lists of what to do.
No fun in that.
Now see I have a plan to do something every day. Some days I am done in 5 minutes, sometimes it takes all day somedays it's just chasing grandkids. But it's what I want to do and at my speed which is not real fast.you are right though retirement is the best.
Everyone should go as soon as they can.

I got a peice of paper with how many years of service. That's it. I shredded that.
When I left I didn't even go back in my last actual day of work.
We get paid for it anyway. Like a sick day.
When I left. Personally I felt nothing but relief. Knowing I didn't have to come back.
But it was a different company. Not what it was or ever will be again.
I remember guys who retired when I first started got actual gold watches and stuff. Now. They don't care. And I didn't.
Peddleman. Get what you can if you can or want to. It's a personal choice.
I just wanted out and I got a peaceful ending.. In fact. I left early on a Wednesday and took the next two days off. My last day was Friday. Out of those two.
Had I worked for the original company I started with it would have been different.
I personally went up to the guys I worked with for a long time and talked and shook their hands. That was the way I wanted to do it and thanked them. That was more personal and satisfying than any Walmart cake breakroom party they would have done.
My way and then the hiway. That was the best. Because I had some really good conversations with many people. And I won't forget that. A breakroom party is embarrassing to me.
I like the shadows. Lol.

Now see I have a plan to do something every day. Some days I am done in 5 minutes, sometimes it takes all day somedays it's just chasing grandkids. But it's what I want to do and at my speed which is not real fast.you are right though retirement is the best.
Everyone should go as soon as they can.
10-4 on that driver, or should I say retired driver ?

I got a peice of paper with how many years of service. That's it. I shredded that.
When I left I didn't even go back in my last actual day of work.
We get paid for it anyway. Like a sick day.
When I left. Personally I felt nothing but relief. Knowing I didn't have to come back.
But it was a different company. Not what it was or ever will be again.
I remember guys who retired when I first started got actual gold watches and stuff. Now. They don't care. And I didn't.
Peddleman. Get what you can if you can or want to. It's a personal choice.
I just wanted out and I got a peaceful ending.. In fact. I left early on a Wednesday and took the next two days off. My last day was Friday. Out of those two.
Had I worked for the original company I started with it would have been different.
I personally went up to the guys I worked with for a long time and talked and shook their hands. That was the way I wanted to do it and thanked them. That was more personal and satisfying than any Walmart cake breakroom party they would have done.
My way and then the hiway. That was the best. Because I had some really good conversations with many people. And I won't forget that. A breakroom party is embarrassing to me.
I like the shadows. Lol.
I’m gonna go back on 11/06/19 to my barn for my xpo retirement recognition deal. I want to hear it from management that I was one of their best horses that pulled my work load at this facility without too much complaining nor whining.I want to have a last opportunity to say goodbye to some of my long time dsr colleagues that I will miss. I want to publicly praise, acknowledge, and thank my wife for her endurance of my long days at work away from home over my career. I want to take a last look at the building that I have worked in with 3 different trucking companies over the stretch of 34 years.
I want to get a cake with the words, ‘Happy Retirement, (my name), Good Luck’...so I can snap a pic of that cake, before it’s all cut up and eaten, and get a blow up of that pic, frame it, and hang it on my wall at home reminding me that I’m done there, the blessing that I’ve received there all truly appreciated, and that I’ve stepped into a new chapter in my life and am looking forward to all the new adventures and times that lie ahead of me.

Congratulations! Enjoy every bit of whatever it is you decide to do from here on out!

On a sidenote, I was about 60% convinced I knew who you are. I was very much wrong, lol!
Sorry to hear that my true identity fooled you. I try my best to camouflage and hide myself. I guess you can call me the ‘Mystery Man’.

I’m gonna go back on 11/06/19 to my barn for my xpo retirement recognition deal. I want to hear it from management that I was one of their best horses that pulled my work load at this facility without too much complaining nor whining.I want to have a last opportunity to say goodbye to some of my long time dsr colleagues that I will miss. I want to publicly praise, acknowledge, and thank my wife for her endurance of my long days at work away from home over my career. I want to take a last look at the building that I have worked in with 3 different trucking companies over the stretch of 34 years.
I want to get a cake with the words, ‘Happy Retirement, (my name), Good Luck’...so I can snap a pic of that cake, before it’s all cut up and eaten, and get a blow up of that pic, frame it, and hang it on my wall at home reminding me that I’m done there, the blessing that I’ve received there all truly appreciated, and that I’ve stepped into a new chapter in my life and am looking forward to all the new adventures and times that lie ahead of me.
I was asked by the outbound foreman the day before my last shift if I wanted to due anything special.
No, I just want to come in, work my last shift at YRC and go home. My last day was a Friday. The operations manager said a few nice things about me at the shift meeting. A lot of hand shakes and hugs during the shift
from fellow workers and office personnel including the terminal manager. Later that evening the outbound foreman said I can't make you stay but I sure would appreciated it. I said no problem and worked overtime until the work was done. I walked out to the parking lot with a couple of old friends, we shook hands and that was it. Then, a few weeks later I get a card in the mail with over a hundred dollars in it. The card was signed by a lot of my old Roadway fellow works and by some of my new Yellow friends. Lots of funny and obscene remarks came with that card which I still have ten years later.

Last edited:
Thx man
Great advise. Today is only my 2nd work day that I have been away from work and I’m already falling into a state of shameful laziness. I went to bed last nite , (actually the wee hours of today), at 01:33, woke up at 10:30 and have done nothing but look at my I-phone, watch tv , and run a short errand for the wife and it’s now 16:48. Wow what a waste of time. Tomorrow I’ll try to be more disciplined, and productive and get a few things done around here. Tomorrow’s agenda...make a list of all the things that I want to do,or at
least attempt to get done, for the next couple of weeks or so .
Oh the stress of it all...NOT !!!
Try this trick: Jot down a few ‘things to do’ the night before, but always have a few more in mind that you KNOW you’ll complete. But DON’T write those down. As you complete those chores, write them down and cross them off at the SAME TIME! When the wife gets home, you have this HUGE list of completed chores! Deceiving? Maybe. Effective? Definitely!!

Well-said, VP. I like the ‘quick & quiet’ exit strategy as well. My exit from work and entry into retirement was quick, but by no means quiet. Several issues had been simmering (one, in particular) for quite some time. Despite my effort to point out the differences in how seniority was recognized before and after I obtained said seniority (union shop), and the complete and utter failure of our ‘shop steward’ (in name only) to advance ANY grievances we had, I hung it up rather abruptly.